Tranny Fluid alternative to dealers recommendation

Hey everyone I'm new to this forum and already I am loving the info that is given out in this place. I do have a question regarding alternative Transmission fluid for a 2006 dodge sprinter 3500. I have been looking at AMSoil based in mississauga, ontario which is 20 min from me. They have a Synthetic Universal ATF which shows as meeting the 236.10 and 236.12 requirement. Also if you know of any other places that sell alternative AT fluid in Canada that meet the requirements let me know. I know europarts-sd sells some in the US but I think shipping and border fees are going to kill me. Bottom line is the dealer is trying to fleece me for money so I'm trying to shop around. If anyone can help me out that would be great. Thanks

djc126

Hi. piper1 suggests contacting a Shell bulk dealer:

http://www.shell.ca/home/content/ca...esses/products/commercial_fuels/distributors/

I would try using MB 236.14 spec fluid if possible.

Also, contact your local Mercedes dealer - their service dept. should sell the Shell 134 ATF (it's 11.99/qt in SK).

Or order a case from ryderfleetproducts and ship to a friend in Detroit or Buffalo.

Take a look at these posts from awhile back:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12438
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12446

Regards,

rheckert

2006 Hightop extended
Be sure that any fluid you put into your tranny is not going to cause you problems, even with the speced fluid tranny problems are fairly common and repair is VERY EXPENSIVE. sometimes its almost like russian roulette

derstar

Just done mine at my dealer for $250...

When i show up, the bill was over $400, but i paid what the service adviser quoted me, which was $250.

Then i read the bill, the oem transmission fluid, the filter kit and the seal already worth over $200...

I would do more research... since I heard if it is not done right, it might cause problems, than you don't change the oil out.

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Just done mine at my dealer for $250...

When i show up, the bill was over $400, but i paid what the service adviser quoted me, which was $250.

Then i read the bill, the oem transmission fluid, the filter kit and the seal already worth over $200...

I would do more research... since I heard if it is not done right, it might cause problems, than you don't change the oil out.
I bought all my Fluid and filter for under $100.00 with shipping...Fuchs made in Germany Fluid which is the MB oem fluid rebranded, so same as dealer, in the latest spec of .14 version.

You could buy this too and ship to the GTA and still come out well ahead.

$250.00 is a good price to pay someone to do it, so you did okay, but $400.00 is excess.

derstar

Hey Kanuck =)

After shipping, filter kits and seals, as well import duty. It will very close, but thanks for the headsup.

piper1

Resident Oil Nerd.
Any Kenworth dealer in Ontario, or direct from originalpartswarehouse.com.

$7 or less per liter, Shell branded ATF 134 (MB 236.14) fluid, same stuff as the MB dealers use if they don't use the branded stuff. (my local MB house uses it).

hey guys thanks for the advice. I actually picked 2 case of shell recommended fluid from original partswarehouse.com for $6.00 a litre, 12 litres a case. Now im on the hunt for tranny filters. Thanks again guys.

finegrind

I needed a quart of tranny fluid for my 06 2500 193000 mi.
Three dealers wanted 22.00 a quart
The last one i called was a dodge dealer that never sold or serviced sprinters
but told me the fluid was also used in the crossfire cars and that they had 2 quarts on hand that they would never use because all the crossfire work has to go to mb now.
they sold it to me for 5.00 a bottle.
Sometimes it pays to call around !

Top Bottom