importing "used" sprinter, anyone done it ?

Ovalmaster

I don't think it matters if it was 'assembled in the US' or not. When I brought mine across the very first thing the customs agent did when I pulled into the compound was jump up (she was only about 4'10") and start saying to the other agents " it's a W vehicle..it's a W vehicle...it's a W vehicle.....""" like she just busted a drug runner. When I asked what was up with her the 'cool' agent said any vehicle that doesn't start with "1, 2, or 3" for a ViN which identifies CAN/USA/Mexico Nafta agreement is subject to the 6.1% exise before any other taxes are levied. That's one reason VW started making their Jetta's and Golfs in Mexico so they could put them on dealership lots cheaper.

Don't worry about it too much... Just factor that into the 'total' price you'd pay for the vehicle and I'm sure you'll still end up ahead of the game.

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
I don't think it matters if it was 'assembled in the US' or not. When I brought mine across the very first thing the customs agent did when I pulled into the compound was jump up (she was only about 4'10") and start saying to the other agents " it's a W vehicle..it's a W vehicle...it's a W vehicle.....""" like she just busted a drug runner. When I asked what was up with her the 'cool' agent said any vehicle that doesn't start with "1, 2, or 3" for a ViN which identifies CAN/USA/Mexico Nafta agreement is subject to the 6.1% exise before any other taxes are levied. That's one reason VW started making their Jetta's and Golfs in Mexico so they could put them on dealership lots cheaper.

Don't worry about it too much... Just factor that into the 'total' price you'd pay for the vehicle and I'm sure you'll still end up ahead of the game.
I'm just trying to eliminate as many of the 'gotchas' :smilewink: as I can before I commit to a purchase. As long as I know about the 6.1% I can factor it in, as you suggest.

This may not have any Canadian import crossover, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Years ago my wife's Uncle in Sault Ste. Marie, MI bought a snowmobile from the Soo, Ontario. It seems there was some loophole in importing. Within some specific time period before actually importing the sled he went over to the Soo, Ontario and purchased a minor object. He declared it at the bridge U.S. side. The officer said to just go on, it was not a problem, but he insisted on paying the duty.

Turns out if he declared that item and paid the duty there was a window of time on future purchases which kicked in so when he imported the sled he avoided either all or much of the duty on the much more expensive sled when imported.

That was quite a few years ago so it may have changed. I'm wondering if there are any similar scenarios which may help avoid some of the fees on your side? FWIW. vic

Last edited:

nolly

2007 318 cdi
imported my 2007 mb sprinter in september 2009 from atlanta to ontario ,and as ovalmaster said had the same charges,6.1% duty,a/c tax $100. i tried explaining to customs the vehicle was essentially imported to the u.s. in pieces and import taxes had already been paid but got nowhere since they only consider your vin no.

Top Bottom