Question about receiver mounted moto carrier

brucedog

I'm thinking of bringing a motorcycle along on my next trip from Oregon to Baja. Its a KTM 350 and weighs just under 300 lbs. Does anybody have any experience with those receiver mounted racks? I believe I read that putting one on the front impedes air flow for cooling although I would love to have access to the rear doors while on the road. Also, if rear mounted, will there be enough clearance between the handlebar and the back of the van. Thanks in advance for your help.

turbodave

Central Maine/Summer Somewhere Warm/Winter
Bruce:
I have a XT250 on a Versahaul mount on the rear of my T1N. It's been carried for many thousands of miles. The Yamaha's weight is similar to your KTM. I wouldn't want any more weight than that as I suspect the total hitch weight is probably at the Sprinter's limit. I added straps to the top door hinges and a hitch tightener to stop the sway.
Dave

calbiker

I see you’re from Hood River, I’m camped about 40 miles east of you on the Columbia this summer. I got 100k miles of a Yamaha XT225 on the back of my Sprinter MH. I have an AddABike carrier, the one that secures the cycle with a pin through the foot pegs. I also added two 1 1/4 inch side hitches for added stability - did it for Baja trips. No need to worry about cycle security there. Not any worse than in US.

It’s great having a cycle along while camping. It adds another dimension. Between the cycle, mountain bike, windsurfer and kayak, I got all I can handle.

Shawn182

For direct heavier loads, recommend getting a hitch clamp which will reduce the dynamic loads on the lounge weight as you roll over bumps and such.

Garandman

Bruce:
I have a XT250 on a Versahaul mount on the rear of my T1N. It's been carried for many thousands of miles. The Yamaha's weight is similar to your KTM. I wouldn't want any more weight than that as I suspect the total hitch weight is probably at the Sprinter's limit. I added straps to the top door hinges and a hitch tightener to stop the sway.
Dave
We use both those as well. If the bike obscures the real tail lights whatsover, we strap on auxiliary tail lights, activated from the trailer hitch plug. Unlikely to be needed on a Sprinter but does keep people back a little.

The heaviest bike we've carried is a WR250R (think wet weight is 295).

Our TrailWay 200 is a bit lighter (278 lbs wet) and quite a bit smaller, very handy bike although top speed is officially 55mph. Honda Grom is very popular nowadays, very compact.

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
We've bounced a Trail-90 on a rack down highway 5,3, and 1. Took the 5 down and back to Guerrero Negro with the 180# Trail 90 on a harbor freight rack without issues. The baja bike is next (CRF450X) but we have 2 of em and the kid is soon off his electric and onto a gasser. The 12' enclosed pulls really well, keeps the good stuff outta sight, and fits 4 bikes!

I think the wife would freak out but I've pondered a front and a back hitch rack with the 450's, technically we would be within the 350# limits I believe but is it smart??? I have seen incredible things on the road down there, this doesn't look smart but it sure looks fun! I filmed it during our B1000 pre run for the 50th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqyDGwfY4nE

Last edited:

Philip53

2021 2500 Sprinter 170, 4 cyl gas
Here is a copy of a previous post that may give you some additional info:

Inspired by Calbiker's rear motorcycle carrier, here are some pictures of the carrier I bought and modified. All of the commercial hitch mount motorcycle carriers I have seen only support the bike on the center tube. Seems something was needed to reduce the rocking motion. Calbiker had posted some pics a while back showing his method using small 1 1/4" receivers located at the end of each frame 'rail' on either side to accept some additional supports. I adopted his idea to add these to a Mototote carrier. I had sent Cal these pics and he thought I should share them here, since there are quite a few folks carrying motorcycles. The Mototote, brackets and bike weighs right at 400#'s. I usually travel with nearly a full water tank, but when carrying the bike, I run it just about empty. And on my model, that water tank is right up against the rear panel of the Navion, so removing that water is a must.

I also added the Fox shocks and Supersprings SSA-111 leaf springs, in addition to previously installed Sumos in order to help carry this load. All worked out well as far as stability and overall spring rate. BUT, the big problem was the small pavement heaves, etc. AND that problem and hopeful solution was detailed previously on another thread.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2456.JPG (80.6 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2458.JPG (81.6 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2443.JPG (79.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2444.JPG (84.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2453.JPG (82.5 KB, 92 views)

EDIT: Sorry, it seems that the pics don't copy where they can be viewed. If interested you can go to my home 'page', search for threads started (not many really) and see the bike hauler listed.

Last edited:

MotoXPress

You should have no problem. Here’s my 500 lb 990 on my Sprinter. Just buy a quality carrier like Versahaul that is spiced for the correct weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've bounced a Trail-90 on a rack down highway 5,3, and 1. Took the 5 down and back to Guerrero Negro with the 180# Trail 90 on a harbor freight rack without issues. The baja bike is next (CRF450X) but we have 2 of em and the kid is soon off his electric and onto a gasser. The 12' enclosed pulls really well, keeps the good stuff outta sight, and fits 4 bikes!

I think the wife would freak out but I've pondered a front and a back hitch rack with the 450's, technically we would be within the 350# limits I believe but is it smart??? I have seen incredible things on the road down there, this doesn't look smart but it sure looks fun! I filmed it during our B1000 pre run for the 50th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqyDGwfY4nE
Sounds absolutely epic! :thumbup:

H2o-Bar

Brucedog, I have a 170 with a Curt's aftermarket receiver hitch. I tried 2 different "tray" style moto racks and never did like the set-ups (most depend on the handlebar straps securing to the rack and how close they came to the van while moving).

I use a Ultimate MX Hauler with my 2017 KTM 350 EXC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbHHMtWEMHU

This rack still flexy's like crazy but the foot pegs are bolted to the rack (and 1 handlebar strap).I was nervous the 1st couple trips but once secure she rides just fine. I don't go Off Road much, usually just far enough to find a camping spot. Not sure if there is ANY moto rack that I would be comfident in going truly OffRoad. I also don't carry my centerstand anymore since I just use the rack instead (I have had to replace the small bottle jack before though).

I would have no problem driving down Hwy 1 in Baja with this setup but not the Hwy 5 (since last years hurricane damage). If you have any questions on the setup just shoot a PM

Attachments

bfly

+1 on the Ultimate MX Hauler.

Hint: It is a lot easier to secure your bike on an Ultimate MX Haulder with a ratcheting tie-down strap. When done correctly you can tighten the foot peg pins by hand. When you have the pins in, tilt the bike back so there is a 1/8" - 1/4" of space between the front of the skid plate and the hauler. Then tighten the wingnuts down by hand. After that use the ratchet strap to cinch down the front end. You'll find that will lock down the wingnuts and no further tightening is needed.

Untitled.jpg

brucedog

Wow thanks for all the responses! I love this forum for that. I really like that Ultimate MX Hauler. I'm not too worried about security in Baja...we are always close to the van when we make our way down there and once there the bike will be at our house.

brucedog

I see you’re from Hood River, I’m camped about 40 miles east of you on the Columbia this summer. I got 100k miles of a Yamaha XT225 on the back of my Sprinter MH. I have an AddABike carrier, the one that secures the cycle with a pin through the foot pegs. I also added two 1 1/4 inch side hitches for added stability - did it for Baja trips. No need to worry about cycle security there. Not any worse than in US.

It’s great having a cycle along while camping. It adds another dimension. Between the cycle, mountain bike, windsurfer and kayak, I got all I can handle.
Have you considered ditching the windsurfer and taking up kiting? After 35 years of windsurfing I learned to kite a few years ago and never looked back. Biggest reason was to minimize gear hauling but the bonus was that its so much easier on this old body (I'm almost 58). Cheers

MotoXPress

If I recall correctly, one of the things I didn’t like about my MX hauler was the fact that once you lower lift and remove the bike you aren’t able to open the rear doors on the sprinter. You have to pull the unit out of the receiver hitch in order to do this.

Can anyone confirm? Or am I ‘mis-remembering’?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calbiker

I hear ya. Just got a good gash directly on my eyebrow yesterday. Flew over the bars, into the mast. I did try kiting a few winters down in LaVentana, Baja. Due to some circumstances, it didn’t work out. At 71, I can still deal with the body abuse when windsurfing. Though, just like climbing up Hospital Hill on a mountain bike, things don’t come as easy anymore.

Have you considered ditching the windsurfer and taking up kiting? After 35 years of windsurfing I learned to kite a few years ago and never looked back. Biggest reason was to minimize gear hauling but the bonus was that its so much easier on this old body (I'm almost 58). Cheers

bfly

If I recall correctly, one of the things I didn’t like about my MX hauler was the fact that once you lower lift and remove the bike you aren’t able to open the rear doors on the sprinter. You have to pull the unit out of the receiver hitch in order to do this.
I've never used my MX Hauler on my van but that sounds very likely. I don't have a receiver on my van or I would confirm for everyone. Bikes go in the van - for the win! :thumbup:

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
And giant loop bags. I gave up on the little bag on top after kicking the bike over on myself a few times with emergent get offs.... The main bags are great!

Top Bottom