Failed Turbo Actuator

nicholas_wray

I'm going to be as detailed as possible because I searched all over finding all kinds of different info and not a lot about this.

2007 Dodge Sprinter 3.0L 144" high roof ~170k miles

symptoms were loss of power and enter limp home mode, low/no boost, no code.
changed fuel filter. (had been driving across country w/questionable fuel)

problem persisted, one week later, finally threw CEL - code P0299 on a reader at advanced auto - Low boost, check for leaks and repair as necessary.
(auto zone also read code as P0299 but didn't recognize it as a Mercedes rather a Mazda 3)
looked for leaks, couldn't find anything, tightened all connections where possible.

Problem persisted: check for more air leaks - found some seeping oil here and there, tightened again where possible oil on lower intercooler, tried to patch with 2 part epoxy to get me from Cincinnati to Sacramento where I could replace intercooler.

test drove 4 hours later for 30 mins, no problems, assumed "bandaged".
drove to my stepdads shop to clear the CEL next morning - cleared.
begin 2500 mi road trip - within 30 mins in limp mode, within an hour CEL.

limped towards Chicago, tried to get in a mercedes dealer in Indy and couldn't get them to even look at it, wanted me to make an appointment for 5 days out.

called Burdi Motorworks (thank you to my GF at home in Sacramento for finding them while i was driving) told them i was in Indy and they said come in, we'll be waiting.

I pull up @ 4:15PM, describe problems, they do a visual inspection. then pull codes.
This time with the Mercedes reader, they got:
Low boost (Saved)
Over boost (Saved)
Turbo Actuator Failure (current and saved) (frequency 50 times)

Diagnosis Turbo actuator failure
Solution: Replace turbo & actuator as a pair because that's how they're sold. Was advised not to attempt replacing the actuator because they have a low success rate doing this.

They know I'm on the road trying to get back to Sacramento - They say they can do it the next day. I'm currently sitting in the Lobby, by noon they had the old one out, new one in, and reassembling the rest of it. Hope she's good to go after this!
Cost $2,800

moondawg14

limped towards Chicago, tried to get in a mercedes dealer in Indy and couldn't get them to even look at it, wanted me to make an appointment for 5 days out.
WorldWide, I'm guessing!

If you're doing long road trips, don't forget to look for Freightliner shops. They are plentiful, and some of them have Sprinter Techs, because Freightliner and Mercedes both sell Sprinters.

Stoops in Indy has 24/6 service (close on Saturday night and open back up Monday morning)
and they've always gotten me in immediately, and always solved my problem.

BRANCALEONE

Do you replace the whole turbo or just the actuator?
I got the same problem but I'm trying to go with repairing the actuator.
MAURO

HighPockets

I'm now wondering if that's my problem. My '07 Sprinter goes in and out of LM randomly. Sometimes restarting it gets it out of LM but it may go right back in a mile. Sometimes when it is running correctly the engine will start to spurt up and down for a few rounds then level out. This happens usually when accelerating up to normal speed.

nicholas_wray

The whole turbo, The shop says that in their experience they've never had good luck w/attempting to replace just the actuator. Also, I imagine that whatever you'd save in not buying the new turbo you'd make up for in labor and headaches.

Do you replace the whole turbo or just the actuator?
I got the same problem but I'm trying to go with repairing the actuator.
MAURO

nicholas_wray

did you get a CEL yet? if i remember correctly - 1lb of boost loss will put you in Limp home mode. 4 or 5lb of lost boost for over a min will trigger CEL + Limp home mode. I had the code read at a couple local shops and it showed "low boost, check for leaks, fix as necessary" When I got it to the shop in Chicago, they were able to pull all kinds of codes!!!

I'm now wondering if that's my problem. My '07 Sprinter goes in and out of LM randomly. Sometimes restarting it gets it out of LM but it may go right back in a mile. Sometimes when it is running correctly the engine will start to spurt up and down for a few rounds then level out. This happens usually when accelerating up to normal speed.

Thomastadon

The Mercedes dealer here quoted me $10,000 to replace the turbo. I'd take the risk for a $200 aftermarket turbo actuator.

There is a link on here to http://www.turboactuatorrepair.com I have used this service Alex or Alek I can't recall was outstanding. I pulled mine, sent it in and received the replacement in a week or so. I re-installed it and then took it to mercedes and they "learned" it into the system and ran it through a regen cycle for the tune of $140... that is 20k miles ago. Way better than a new turbo.

Bubs

There is a link on here to http://www.turboactuatorrepair.com I have used this service Alex or Alek I can't recall was outstanding. I pulled mine, sent it in and received the replacement in a week or so. I re-installed it and then took it to mercedes and they "learned" it into the system and ran it through a regen cycle for the tune of $140... that is 20k miles ago. Way better than a new turbo.
Do you have to take it to the dealership to have it learned? I have a DPF delete and I don't think the dealership will play ball with me.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Dunnjew

I just got a new/used Turbo actuator from DR A, and it was plug and play, no need for programming or learning.

Racrx

I’m having the same issue. Shop says the newer vans can’t just install the actuator because it can’t learn the old turbo. It’s gonna cost me $3k for new turbo w/actuator. Sad. I’ve spent a fortune on this van in the last 2 months.

sailquik

docman5,
Dr. A is the alias for Andy (Andreas) Bittenbinder.
He has a Sprinter specialty shop near Clemson, SC (where his son is/was going to college).
He specializes in all levels of repair for T1N Sprinters and is ultra knowledgeable about all things
2002-2006 Dodge and Freightliner Sprinter.
I suspect he does work on NCV3 Sprinters as well but he is best know for his incredible knowledge
of T1N Sprinter systems.
You may have heard of the DAD diagnostic device for T1N (OM-612 and OM-647 engines).
The "DAD" is an acronym for Dr. A Diagnostics units.
These were a fairly top level large fleet diagnostic device in Europe and Dr. A was able to
purchase a bunch of them when the new NCV3 Sprinters came out in Europe and the T1N
diagnostic units were no longer the latest and greatest. He sold them as DAD units to people
all over this forum.
They are still very highly rated for T1N Sprinter diagnostics.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 86082

I’m having the same issue. Shop says the newer vans can’t just install the actuator because it can’t learn the old turbo. It’s gonna cost me $3k for new turbo w/actuator. Sad. I’ve spent a fortune on this van in the last 2 months.
I didn't think they needed learn in the turbo at all. I just replaced my turbo and there was no programing required. I'll keep my old actuator as a spare.

Racrx

I didn't think they needed learn in the turbo at all. I just replaced my turbo and there was no programing required. I'll keep my old actuator as a spare.
What year? Early models (before 2010) didn’t have an issue with just buying the actuator or turbo separately. Newer models 2010-later (I have a ‘12) had to buy them as a pair... I also had to buy the air mixture sensor for the turbo, which was another $740 installed. They felt bad for me so I got the part at their cost and 1/2 labor charge... Good times over here...

Last edited:

Top Bottom