Can one setup the rear AUX A/C to run with engine off?

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Just curious if anyone has ever modified the aux AC system to run with the engine off?

I know it is not good for the MB engine to idle, so in a camping type situation, is there anyway to modify things, say a portable generator, etc to run the AC without harming the engine by idling?

Cheers for any insight.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I'm sure it can be done, but you'll probably need shore power or a big petrol powered generator to power an electric motor to turn the A/C compressor. Hopefully the electrical system can also power the the electric motor driven compressor.

The rear A/C uses the 2nd engine driven compressor that resides near the bottom of the engine on the driver's side. Somehow an electric motor needs to be mounted so that it drives the pulley off of the compressor, or a harder way would be to mount the compressor somewhere else and reroute the lines.

I often thought about doing it since I can use the extra engine mounted a/c compressor as an engine driven air compressor, but it's a lot of work just to design it right. :idunno:

Seek

sikwan

06 Tin Can
I'm installing the SCS Frigette version one which pretty much uses the same compressor mount as the OEM rear A/C.

The big difference is that the OEM has its condensor up on the roof, while mine will be underneath the Sprinter, like here...

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2697&postcount=21

Other differences is that I don't have the channel mounted lengthwise off the ceiling. The kit also includes the OEM switches which operate the same as the OEM A/C.

Seek

Top Bottom