Making the Onan generator quieter

nekit

Made some vibration mounts so the generator is now rubber mounted. Added 2" of foam insulation above generator, see picture.

Went from unbearable noise to fairly quiet. Not as quiet as a Honda, but much better.

Attachments

GP1111

I have a 2014 Free Spirit and it's noisy and rattles as well. I wish they would have spent the extra dime and did what you did. I've been running the generator quite a bit lately because twice now the 200 amp fuse between the chassis battery and the isolation relay has blown and I need it to charge the coach batteries, I'm still trying to figure this one out.

A few years back I had the 2kw Honda generator and that was one quiet generator.

tnx for the suggestion.

George

obie

'04 long & tall passenger
I would make that an inspection item looking for eventual cracks. Also maybe safety wire the bolts, or at least get some torq-stripe on there. Looks good!

nekit

Interesting ...... What kind of foam and mounts did you use?
The foam insulation is just 2" thick pink foam Owens Corning. If fits perfectly above the generator and leaves about 1" gap between the foam and generator.

The mounts are 1" x 1" round rubber vibration isolators with studs on each end from Zoro.

nekit

Added a muffler to the generator today. It was the smallest real muffler I could find. It's Stainless too. Quiets the exhaust tone nicely. Muffler if hanging by a rubber exhaust hanger from a Honda Civic. I think this is all I'll do. I'm pretty happy with the sound level now.

Attachments

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
Added a muffler to the generator today. It was the smallest real muffler I could find. It's Stainless too. Quiets the exhaust tone nicely. Muffler if hanging by a rubber exhaust hanger from a Honda Civic. I think this is all I'll do. I'm pretty happy with the sound level now.
I hate to tell you that you have violated the generator's warranty and more than likely it will fail prematurely. The only type of device approved is a resonator. Visit the manufacturer. I Installed a resonator before in our PleasureWay plus other quieting mods. Here is the file with the details.

Attachments

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Nekit .... Nice work. Suggest extending the exhaust tip beyond the body work. About 2-3". Keep the CO and fumes out of the van.

nekit

I hate to tell you that you have violated the generator's warranty and more than likely it will fail prematurely. The only type of device approved is a resonator. Visit the manufacturer. I Installed a resonator before in our PleasureWay plus other quieting mods. Here is the file with the details.
Generator is a 2007. Way out of warranty. Muffler is pretty large and offer very little back pressure.

Top Bottom