Part price extortion

Random1

Well, after an argument with the wife about alternative approaches to the Sprinter CDI unit replacement, the MB dealers have been given the go ahead for the $6,100 repair. We are so pissed off that the sprinter will be sold as soon as possible, before something else goes wrong.

• I could buy 10 laptops ay Hervey Norman for that money. (each 100 times more complex than the MB part)
  • I could replace the entire engine in my 1994 Land Rover.
  • I could buy a great holiday somewhere interesting.

There is no way that a small box can be worth that much, from a company that makes millions of units. It is extortion.

Sorry Mercedes Benz, no more from me this lifetime.

Last edited:

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
Did you look online for a cheap one from OS?

To be fair Ive only bought a few interior items from MB and the prices were exceedingly cheap.

Random1

Good for you. Did you see the price of my replacement part?

Not so easy to looks at alternatives when your vehicle is in another city and you want it back. Particularly when you are inexperienced at this.

Random1

I have some spare time these days. This looks like a good subject for a campaign. No way this can survive the spotlight. I might start digging.

Sockeye770

I have some spare time these days. This looks like a good subject for a campaign. No way this can survive the spotlight. I might start digging.
I have 2 company 315's. I've learn't that the MB stealerships are the last place to go.
They would charge around $1700 to replace the alternator, whereas I removed it myself & took it to the nearby auto electrician, whom rebuilt it within 4 hours for $220.
The wreckers are worth checking for some parts.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
Yep. Whenever I foolishly decide to call the dealer for their price on a part, I play a little game....

I think of the most expensive price I would ever pay for that part...
Then double it...
Then double it again.

And that's the price the dealer comes out with almost every time.

mugget

Yep. Whenever I foolishly decide to call the dealer for their price on a part, I play a little game....

I think of the most expensive price I would ever pay for that part...
Then double it...
Then double it again.

And that's the price the dealer comes out with almost every time.
That is crazy...!! :crazy:

I haven't needed any big repairs, just the drivers door step and door seal - they were a bit more than I was expecting, your little price game would have been about right in that instance I think...

But regardless of that, I can understand being floored by a 6 grand repair bill for the CDI!

Random what is the situation with your Sprinter now? Still at the dealer? Have they checked for rubbed through wiring as was suggested in another thread? I don't know how the CDI units are constructed, but I would guess that all the electronics are potted so they're completed sealed, waterproof units. So I don't see how it could overhead or have an internal short... :thinking:

You definitely can't take the dealer at their word all the time. Well worth a 2nd, 3rd, or even more opinions and investigating the problem yourself. You did a good thing coming onto the forum, now just keep following it up!

Top Bottom