Why do I need a GP module?

sprinterpirate

not an electrician.
A week ago I removed my glowplug relay module to finally address the glowplug related error codes--I have been using the van as usual for about a year with these codes (and without any issues). Upon removing the GP module, I found three fused links, so my impression is that I have running with only two glow plugs this whole time.

I am waiting on parts--I plan to make a stealth modified module that Surlyoldbill suggested--see this post: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=375186&postcount=6

Yesterday, my housemate absolutely NEEDED me to move my van down the driveway so he could get his car off the street--his tags are expired and he was getting notices on his car. It occurred to me that maybe, *just maybe* it would start without the GP module installed... and it did--with no hesitation at all! Ambient temps at the time were in the mid 50's F. Come to think about it, I have NEVER had a rough time starting the van--except two times in the Sierras, when ambient temps were around freezing. The van has mostly lived on the Oregon and California coast.

So now I'm wondering...
  • Are the glowplugs just there to assist COLD weather starts?
  • Will I cause any damage if I use my van this week with no GP relay module?

:popcorn:

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
To my knowledge, glow plugs are a winter start assisting device, and make warm weather start-ups faster and cleaner. The module controls when and how long the plugs are energized, and required for most start-ups under 30*F, although some have done without it with a tiny squirt of starting ether, that is never recommended .
No known damage will occur without a GP used, but you might have 1 cylinder not firing right away 9for several seconds giving white smoke until it's warmer in the engine

Last edited:

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
Yesterday, my housemate absolutely NEEDED me to move my van down the driveway so he could get his car off the street--his tags are expired and he was getting notices on his

:popcorn:
The Peoples Republic of California will continue to fine your friend,and add huge penalties and interest and come after him and collect,certainly at the time of sale,even if it is off the street

sprinterpirate

not an electrician.
The Peoples Republic of California will continue to fine your friend,and add huge penalties and interest and come after him and collect,certainly at the time of sale,even if it is off the street
Haha!! You are right my friend. I still have not registered my plates in this fair state, since the !#*&%@ DMV wanted >$1300 to register the sprinter. Something about me paying tax on the sale price... though it had been purchased months before in San Antonio, Texas and registered in Oregon at the time of sale. :censored::yell::wtf:

I have an appointment this coming Tuesday at the DMV. My understanding is that enough time has passed since my purchase that they will consider it ancient history. I will report back.

david_42

Haha!! You are right my friend. I still have not registered my plates in this fair state, since the !#*&%@ DMV wanted >$1300 to register the sprinter. Something about me paying tax on the sale price... though it had been purchased months before in San Antonio, Texas and registered in Oregon at the time of sale. :censored::yell::wtf:

I have an appointment this coming Tuesday at the DMV. My understanding is that enough time has passed since my purchase that they will consider it ancient history. I will report back.
That was enacted years ago because so many people were going up to Oregon, buying vehicles, and then registering them in Ca as used; so they have re-defined 'used' in terms of mileage and/or time. Best of luck.

sprinterpirate

not an electrician.
That was enacted years ago because so many people were going up to Oregon, buying vehicles, and then registering them in Ca as used; so they have re-defined 'used' in terms of mileage and/or time. Best of luck.
David, thanks for the info. I did some google searches and learned that people have indeed registered cars in Oregon to avoid this tax. Do you know any specifics on this? I'm curious what mileage/timeframe criteria the CA DMV uses to define "used".

I purchased the van on the tail end of 14 years as an Oregon resident--when I bought the van I had not yet decided to move. Its a shame they don't consider residency status at date of sale in their calculation.

surlyoldbill

Don't forget to bring $1300 to the appointment. This is CA, it is not for the weak of wallet. I somehow slipped through the cracks, I bought my van in TX and they gave me a trip permit because I wouldn't be registering it in TX. When I went to the DMV to register it, they inspected it and I filled out paperwork, and they only charged me the annual registration fee; no usury tax.

I don't know if they have a book of car values or if they tax you by the sales price. The vintage car world in CA often involves the seller saying they sold the car to you for $1000 when it was actually $5000 or more, because it helps you with the sales tax when you register it. A lot of winking and nodding.

As for glow plugs, they are only needed for starting in colder weather, like below 40. They serve no other function beyond starting. I was able to start in the low teens with 3 working glowplugs, but it took a few tries.

Top Bottom