MaxiDiag® Elite MD802 Scan Tool [under] $300.00

jackcar

car obd2 tools
How do you like the MD802? I've read mostly good reviews, but as always there are some bad ones as well. Seems like a lot of trouble that stems from the actual Autel website and upgrade process. I've also read here in the forum something about a website upgrade that hopefully helps out with those issues. I wonder if that has been done yet? Or still in the future? I'm obviously new to Autel MD802, so have no idea what is new or old.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
My MD802 has worked flawlessly on my 2007 NCV3. I use both the Sprinter and Chrysler menus as both work with my Dodge-era vehicle. It's really impossible to do any real servicing on these vehicles without an advanced scanner as standard OBDII units are extremely limited in functionality, and sometimes can even be misleading in the way they interpret codes. You must have a tool that can read proprietary manufacturer PIDs and codes in order for it to be very useful and the MD802 is a great deal considering the price.

The good things about the MD802 appear all over this thread. If I was looking for faults I would note two things:

1. The update process can indeed be a little confusing. Just use the software that comes with the unit (vs. trying to figure out what you need from the website) and you will be fine.

2. Autel has to keep up with a lot of vehicles (they cover brands I've never even heard of) and as such they can be a model year or two behind the curve on support for new vehicles. Autel told me that they give priority to vehicles that are out of warranty since that is a greater concern (if the vehicle is in warranty it usually goes to a dealer anyway.) The bottom line is that if your vehicle is relatively new then there might not yet be full support. The MD802 comes with a year of free upgrades so you are covered for updates within the first year. After that it's $130/year (if you need it that is, updates are optional.) Also you are not required to maintain continuous coverage so you can wait a few years and then get further updates (again, if you need them... if you're supporting an older vehicle you will not.)

Lastly if you purchase an MD802 make sure you get the 'All modules' version vs. the '4 modules' version, especially if the price seems low. The former costs about $20-$30 more but (as per the description) covers all the modules in the vehicle.

Last edited:

jackcar

car obd2 tools
I will take your advice and pick up a new larger SD card while waiting for delivery. no problem Ron just remember don't allow your 4gb sdhc card to be updated down load 4gb card to your pc then transfer to 8-16gb SDHC card. When you update card it will put authentication code back on new card and will give you a wider use of the tool, keep the 4gb card handy as it will help with Autel MD802 as I have heard by updating it puts the latest cars on but removes some of the older cars so you can put the 4gb card in on older cars or for any reason your new card gets corrupt.

vertigo

2007 NCV3 3500 3.0l
My MD802 has worked flawlessly on my 2007 NCV3. I use both the Sprinter and Chrysler menus as both work with my Dodge-era vehicle. It's really impossible to do any real servicing on these vehicles without an advanced scanner as standard OBDII units are extremely limited in functionality, and sometimes can even be misleading in the way they interpret codes. You must have a tool that can read proprietary manufacturer PIDs and codes in order for it to be very useful and the MD802 is a great deal considering the price.
My experience with the MD802 has been the same. This tool is indispensable!

flman

My experience with the MD802 has been the same. This tool is indispensable!
Mine works great, the only thing is my model year reads out weird codes, and I have to spend $60 to look them on on Sprintertek website.

I had and ABS problem in my 06 Jeep Libby, and my old Innova 3160 read it as Cxxxx so no good.

The MD802 was able to read 2 ABS codes that helped my troubleshoot the problem as the tone wheel and I successfully repaired it with a new front bearing.

showkey

Mine works great, the only thing is my model year reads out weird codes, and I have to spend $60 to look them on on Sprintertek website.

I had and ABS problem in my 06 Jeep Libby, and my old Innova 3160 read it as Cxxxx so no good.

The MD802 was able to read 2 ABS codes that helped my troubleshoot the problem as the tone wheel and I successfully repaired it with a new front bearing.
This weird code format: ?

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=69213&d=1438952430

vargula

I have an '07 dodge diesel 144"WB and the Autel MD802 correctly diagnosed that I have a short on one of my glow plugs. It's the same code that my mechanic picked up and verified.

Installing the software and upgrading the thing to have the sprinter software was a real pain though. The software is only compatible with Windows XP, Vista, and 7.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
The software is only compatible with Windows XP, Vista, and 7.
The software is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10 (I am currently using it with Windows 10) so basically... all Windows versions. But many have complained about the lack of Mac support.

jackcar

car obd2 tools
I have been a Ford Master Technician for 30 years and used about every brand diagnostic scanner Autel Maxisys Elite on obd2tool.com over the years and this one is hands down the best and most universal scanner I have used to date! Never once have I had an issue with the Blue Tooth connection between the scanner and the VCM unlike what we use at Ford. Programs keys perfectly, bi-directional controls work flawless and is very fast processing of live data....WAY faster than Snap On Versus and the software especially for Ford is almost identical to Fords software with the IDS we use at the dealership...I actually prefer my Autel over the IDS now.

Top Bottom