Harbor Freight scan tool if stuck? Comments.

A HF scan tool was mentioned which may help those in a bind. (Harbor Freight is most everywhere it seems.)

Rather than take another thread too far off I will post the question here.

... The fix ended up being that the previous owner installed a new alternator upside down, causing the alternator pulley to seize, which caused the belt to drag across the pulley... slowing cranking RPM to about 110 rpm. Since the tachometer isn't very accurate at those low speeds, it wasn't apparent that it was too slow until I hooked up a scan tool that watches live RPM and other data ($100 one from Harbor freight worked just fine for this and also gave me fuel rail pressure). Somewhere on this forum I found a note from Dr. A that said the sprinter needs something like 200 or 250 RPM to start. ...
What HF scan tool was used?

Any input from members as to decent scan tools specific to HF may help others in trouble while on the road.

As an aside. Personally I recommend doing some research for a proper scan tool before being stuck. A scan tool isn't a magic wand, but the information that it provides can assist getting better answers here on the forum and elsewhere.

:cheers: vic

Top Bottom