Anyone ever managed to remove the whetherstrip around the windshield?

damien89

As per title, anyone ever removed the whetherstrip around the windshield maybe to change the windshield? Is it just a case of pulling it? I would like to remove mine as iv'e seen sprinters develop rust due to water being trapped under the rubber whetherstrip.

It is worth removing completely, if your glass is out. I had seen a couple of small bubbles around the frame, very minor, when I had my windshield replaced. Once out, there was rust around the whole lip area. This is not uncommon. The body shop was familiar with Sprinters windshield area rusting where the eye cannot see. The molding does not seal like other vehicles. It is supposed to allow moisture to drain is MB reasoning.

After grinding down to metal around the whole lip, and several coats of primer, followed by a couple coats of paint, and another couple coats of clear sealer, I feel confident the next time I need new glass, it will not need all the work it did the last time.

I have trouble understanding the molding not sealing completely to prevent any moisture from getting in there to begin with. I suppose MB has their reasons, but with all the rot our Sprinters are known for around the windshield area especially, there has to be a better way.

pfflyer

I have seen mine replaced a couple times and they pull a string to cut the sealant to release the windshield. They actually use a series of pulleys attached to windshield via suction cups to get better leverage pulling the string. Anyway the weather stripping would need to be replaced and if your windshield is still good, plan on replacing it because there is a good chance you will crack it getting it out.

Pneumo

Just had my windshield replaced by Safelite and Ive been having issues with their install. Dime size chip on the perimeter of the glass, air leak in the sealant, and they failed to reinstall my wipers correctly.... Warranty claims out the wazoo for me, but I suppose I'll see how they correct the air leak under the weatherstripping.

Top Bottom