Folding wall beds and slide-out assemblies

JessEvans

Your bed looks really solid. The only thing I'd have to do differently is suspend the free side, instead of putting it on legs. Because it will be hanging above the queen-sized bed. The thing is, I've seen pics of a couple of different beds where the free side is suspended from cables connected to either the ceiling or the wall above the bed, but I don't know what kind of reinforcement might be needed to keep the roof or walls from buckling under that load. Just to be clear...there's no weight on the floor-no legs. The whole bunk has to hang off the sides and roof of the van. Just trying to figure out if they're not sold any more because they damaged the vans....

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Just trying to figure out if they're not sold any more because they damaged the vans....
I really can't see that you should be concerned with either the sides or roof not being strong enough - there are commercially available bunks that fix using these points after all?

Put it another way: why don't you try bending a roof rib or "buckling" a wall to see how much effort it would take?! I use ratchet straps with either two and half or five tonnes breaking strain to secure stuff in the back and I haven't managed to buckle the body yet (inspite of my best efforts!).

If you then consider the kinetic energy of say a modest 750kgs load travelling at fifty mph, and that these same straps anchored to the walls are able to keep such a load in place under heavy braking. I know your bunk would be static, but you see my point? A couple of hundred kilos for a bed & body is hardly anything in comparison.

There is a max rating per rib, I can't remember what it is now. I've been stringing up a bunk using ratchet straps in the same position 312diesel's above for nearly ten years - it's fine. Just two straps, each one on different ribs located into tracking riveted to the wall with a board and camping mat. I sleep in the cab during winter though!

I understand your question - no need to worry that you might damage your van.

Last edited:

312 diesel (closed)

I agree with Simon, the standard sides are strong enough to carry the load, you just need to be sensible about how you attach stuff to them. This is all about spreading the weight. The only reason I made special supports is that I wanted the bunk to clear some of the things I carry regularly. The height it is at means I can stand engines and gearboxes under it and still let the bunk down when the van is loaded.

I think the bunk would hang from the roof ribs easily, in fact I know it will because I tried it. I just found it more convenient to stand it on a leg than to suspend it from above.

JessEvans

I really can't see that you should be concerned with either the sides or roof not being strong enough - there are commercially available bunks that fix using these points after all?
I understand your question - no need to worry that you might damage your van.
I appreciate the info! You said there are commercially available bunks that fix using these points. Can you point me to any that are currently in business? I've seen a number of commercial 'cable' type bunks on this forum, but none that are still around. And google yields nada. Maybe I'm not using the right search terms...

Thanks again! -Jess

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
In the UK Hatcher who used to do them. I've also seen other variations on the theme on my travels but don't know who they were made by. I think Gordon's idea is the easiest and cheapest way to do it: find a truck breaker / buy a used top bunk / adapt to fit using hinges and supporting straps or cable. Then take some pics and post up your solution here!

mackconsult

When I get mine installed I will send pictures. It will be a two high bunkbed setup and the bottom will be permanent, the top one will fold down and be cushioned so it will act as a back support when in the down position for the bottom bunk. Will be using creform for both, and the top when in the "bunk" position will hang from the ceiling in three points.

writebryan

I would like to know where I can buy one or two (one for each side) of them factory produced looking fold out beds as shown in the pictures above they have the same material as my sprinter van seats. The pictures posted by Expert Marine. Is that something I can buy at the Mercedes dealer? If they are Mercedes parts does anyone have the part numbers?

Top Bottom