Battery light on Dash after running

alexk243

KulAdventure
When I was driving it everyday I didnt notice it, but now after it sat for a few days I used it again a few times and every time I start it the battery light on the dash comes on and stays on for the first few minutes of driving... My thought was as soon as the engine started going the alternator should get the battery to an acceptable voltage. Is there something wrong that I am missing or is that normal?

alexk243

KulAdventure
Yeah, previous owner said he just replaced it... who knows though. Is that more likely than a electrical fault or alternator failure? I would think even if the battery was bad the alternator would cause the voltage to turn that light off.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Connect a voltmeter across the battery and get someone to start the engine and watch what happens.

Voltage at rest should ideally be above 12.5 volts and after engine start should rise pretty quickly to above 14 volts. If not you need to investigate why.

Keith.

alexk243

KulAdventure
So still dealing with this issue, but noticed there is also a rattle at idle, that seems to go away with battery light and stays away even at idle... Alternator pulley?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I have the same issue for the last three days. I took it in for the 375,000 mile service. I'll know tomorrow what the mechanic says.
I watched my volt meter. After start, the battery is at 11.5v. Glow plugs and starter take out the voltage.
Once working, I get 13.9v - 14.0v and the relay clicks.
While the battery light is on the dash, the voltage remains low and the relay to the aux battery does not trigger. I am assuming that the D+ circuit is not live.
So everything is pointing to no alternator output. Today, I drove it a couple of blocks and rev'd up the engine but did not get the light out. It just happened on it's own.
I also have a fuel leak. So it could be the alternator. It could be the pulley clutch. Or it could be fuel on the belt causing it to not spin?

alexk243

KulAdventure
How long does it take for your light to go out and the voltage to hit 14 after you start it?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I drove two blocks today. Yesterday it was just backing out the driveway. It has been getting longer each time. Voltage jumped to 14v at same time as light goes out.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
My mechanic did not replace the alternator. He said that the fuel leak was the problem. As soon as the alternator spins out the diesel, it starts working.

SneakyAnarchistVanCamper

Reading till my eyesbleed
Check voltage at alternator. No voltage? Check ground and power cable and excitation wire (see wiring diagram and connector pinout and chapter in service manual in my signature). No resistance, pins give good reading? Replace/clean/rebuild alternator. I go down to 10.2 volts after cranking (old batt) and it comes to 14.0 -14.1 after about 5 seconds or less or a little throttle.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Latest update. I heard a squeal just before the light went out. Makes it definite that the diesel on the belt has caused the alternator not functioning.
The fuel leak comes from the High Pressure Fuel Pump. Research on the site and online show that there is an issue with the pumps between 350k and 400k miles. The bolts that keep the two halves of the pump vibrate lose. The bolts are only accessible from the back of the pump.
Today I cleaned the engine and ran the van. I can see fuel coming out from where the two halves bolt together.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
OK, The full report. I had the pump replaced. It was just as I found on the internet. The to retaining bolts on the passenger side were lose. The mechanic also replaced the alternator because he said it was so full of diesel that it would likely fail soon.

Top Bottom