Fridge does not work on battery

Farmer j

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps the easiest solution would be to plug the fridge into an inverter outlet. I believe it would revert automatically to gas if the inverter was off and to AC if plugged into shore power. That way the inverter would power it during travel as long as the inverter is on. Do you see any downside here?

rollerbearing

Only 2 downsides come to mind

First, you won't have the automatic changeover to gas (unless you shut off the inverter) - not a big deal if you have a good memory or a checklist. I find myself sometimes forgetting to put the fridge back into auto-changeover when I've deliberately put it in manual mode for some reason. If you're boondocking just remember to manually put it into gas mode or else shut off the inverter.

Second, you've got to do a tiny amount of wiring to get the inverter AC up into the fridge compartment. You could install another receptacle with an "old works" box or just simply cut the male bits off an extension cord - thread it through a hole and put a new plug on. Not up to anyone's "code" but good enough for a test.

Last edited:

Wine Country

When my frig quick working on 12vdc I replaced the fuse. My therm switch would not turn on the fan causing over heating. Replaced it. No more problems. I thought about the ac to a inverter plug. Not worth the hassle. If the 12 volt heater won’t work with a new fuse, and you don’t want to replace the board, then do it. The frig will only run with the engine on at 12 VDC

Top Bottom