2018 Winnebago View Delivery

Our '17 Navion 24j has been back to Transwest 6 times.....its freaking rediculous. Take it in for something simple and wait 3 weeks to get it back. Talked to a Winnebago rep at the RV show and he just shook his head.....They know their stuff is leaving the factory not 100% and are relying on the stealerships to do final preparation, which is wrong. The stealerships are not helping the manufacturers cause. After all of our return visits we are basically were we should have been on day of delivery. These things are a blast to drive and use. We love the thing...its just that one should not have to deal with the poor quality of service. Being one of the lower cost items on the lot has something to do with it....hard to compete with $1M units !
I have a friend with a big Newmar Diesel pusher $400K and he has the same problems. Just the RV environment.

Hosh

Navion 2018 24J
LM sorry for the tit for tat distractions. I’ve only bought one new RV and I was very clear about my expectations prior to purchase. This and other discussions highlight the RV industry’s lack of quality awareness and more importantly leadership.

Good luck

Phil in K.C.

Our last and hopefully final warranty visit to Transwest was for a faulty side curtain over the kitchen table. The auto retract would take it seemed like 5 min up raise. Read all about the adjustment and decide its faulty....take to Transwest and they agree. Took two weeks by the way to get it in just so they could "analyze " the problem. Two weeks later WB agrees it's broken and two weeks later we take it in for service....another list of squeaks and the side curtain. After repeated calls we get the rig back THREE WEEKS LATER! Pissed drive it home 30 miles away and discover they installed it backwards....Back to Transwest show them the problem and they tell me there is no way to install it wrong....Oh really...lets go look at one of the identical units on the lot....Ill be damned if it was not in backwards....took all of 5 min to install correctly ....did you read the part about 3 weeks in the shop?......Sorry but it's a sad comment on the industry as a whole and the end is not in site.

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6
The only thing you can really expect from a dealer is to transfer you legal title to the coach.

after that, you are on your own.

either figure out how to improve/fix on your own, or live with what you have.

of course, if you have nothing but time, and nothing better to do with it, go ahead and try to get relief from your dealer.

if you have lots of cash, there may be folks nearby who can help you with fixes and improvements. just don't think you will get much from the selling dealer for free.

Hosh

Navion 2018 24J
The only thing you can really expect from a dealer is to transfer you legal title to the coach.

after that, you are on your own.

either figure out how to improve/fix on your own, or live with what you have.

of course, if you have nothing but time, and nothing better to do with it, go ahead and try to get relief from your dealer.

if you have lots of cash, there may be folks nearby who can help you with fixes and improvements. just don't think you will get much from the selling dealer for free.
My initial response is “low expectations lead to poor results”, but I do get the lack of time constraint. For me personally, I am retired, stubborn and not prone to avoid conflict. I mean, it’s winter, the snow is horrible, what better time to rip into your WBGO dealer?

It is a game, but it is not a game of fearing to lose access to your dealer for future services. The game is Customers getting worn down, ignored, and BS’d into tolerating poor service and giving up.

It is a fact that if you’re not handy and can’t fix minor issues, you better have a thick checkbook. I am curious to see what the 2nd tier service providers are capable of once the warranty is expired.

I do think buying from Lichtsinn, getting the lowest price, staying multiple nights next to the corn field and having them complete the punch list is the direction we will go if we ever buy another unit.

Phil in K.C.

We tried to deal with Lichtsinn. They seem like good people but they were a good 5% over what price can be had and still not real convenient for us. Especially since we had Transwest as close as it is. We were ready to order a unit. So basically all the had to do was write an order and I would go pick it up. Done. And living next door for a few days would be a great idea if it were not for all the stuff that crops up after a few hundred miles of use....especially that crazy banging noise in the slide that can still rear its ugly head after a while....And by the way Transwest will try and figure that out...only took 3 trips and me telling them what the WB techs said the problem was....They fixed it once....when it happened again they told be it was now a maintenance issue and it was now MY problem....Its like beating a dead horse...

LarryMitchell

Another quick question...

There is an accessory space between the front seats on the back of the floor. There are four wires laying there...2 yellow and 2 white. Apparently this is for an option I didn’t purchase. Does anyone know what the space is for? The space is about 6 inches tall and about 18 inches square. It’s covered by a metal plate.

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
Quick question... the manuals don’t mention that the coach must be level to be able to use the refrigerator / freezer as I was told. Can the refrigerator/freezer be used if I park on a grade?
I believe the 2018 View/Navion comes with a standard compressor fridge, so level isn't as important. Although trying to live at 10 degrees off level has some challenges, like falling trying to get to the bathroom or galley. Only the (propane/120VAC/12VDC) absorption fridges need to be closer to level.

Winterbagoal

Thanks. I've also got a 24V on order without the upgraded stereo, and the 9 inch monitor screen, upon which it depends. Wonder if I bought a bass sub woofer, and installed it would it work? If the wires are there?

Last edited:

stevegarri

I have a 2018 view 24v. It has a Norcold N3000. The manual states it should be within 3 degrees side to side and within 6 degrees front to back (as looking at the front of the refrigerator.

twrooney

Quick question... the manuals don’t mention that the coach must be level to be able to use the refrigerator / freezer as I was told. Can the refrigerator/freezer be used if I park on a grade?
Don't mean to be mean, but if you can't figure this out on your own, good luck. I know you must be excited to be driving such a nice vehicle, but take a deep breath see if you can figure out what type of reefer you have, and put it in your posts.

I can't imangine owning one of these things if one is not able to fix minor problems oneself. I'm retired so I need things to do anyway, but it looks like I got lucky and have not had any major problems with things like the slidout, microwave, air conditioning unit, and reefer. Maybe it's due to it being a 2013 model, 24v, and sales were't as hot then as they are now.

Forums like this one, and you tube are your friend. Learn how to use them.

The Japanese and/or Europeans need to enter this market for things to really improve any.

Winterbagoal

Download any of the several Predelivery Checklists. Also good advice to camp at the dealer. Don’t accept delivery until all things are fixed. After delivery camp at a local campground for a couple of days to learn the systems.

Lots of help here and on Facebook View/Navion Motorhomes group. Just don’t post the same question on multiple forums.

Have fun, that’s why you bought it right?
I've looked around a little and can't find the "Predelivery Checklists" you mentioned. Where might I find them? I've scratched out a basic one myself, based on items mentioned in this and other threads on here, but I'm curious to see what (obvious?) items I may have missed.
My list has a "make sure the options we ordered are there, and the ones we didn't want, aren't" as a starting point. After that it's latches, rattles, locks, wobbles, missing fasteners and other simple parts, dash warning lights that won't go away, cracks and sealants particularly up top, "how does this work?", "what does this do?" and so on.

Thanks for a link to, or other assistance.

cacaw

I've looked around a little and can't find the "Predelivery Checklists" you mentioned. ...
I've seen a few over the years but nothing takes the place of actually putting every system through its paces, just as you would when camping. Cook something in the microwave, charge the batteries using the generator, etc. Spray some water on it and check for leaks. Bounce up and down on the floor, checking for weak spots. Fill and empty the tanks, checking for leaks and proper valve functioning.

The list could go on and on and where you draw the line is up to you. It's possible that your View will be 100% good from the start and any double-checking will be a waste of time. But, if you're the type that flips out when something doesn't work as planned, it's way easier to get it fixed prior to delivery.

It probably would be a good idea to scan the Facebook and Yahoo groups, and this forum, and figure out which things are most likely to go wrong (like the refrigerator or heat pump) and at least give those things a thorough shake-down.

Your dealer is going to go nuts at the suggestion of this, after all, how could one friend do that to another? :) But just wait and see how close that "friendship" is after you take final delivery.

CGKMGK

PDI checklists come in many forms. Most don't go into minute details but give you a broad range of major items and systems to look at.
When we purchased our '17 View 24G we ordered and purchased from Lichtsinn RV in Forest City IA. Flew out when it was ready for delivery and drove it home ourselves. We went through the delivery process, all indoors and heated, with our salesperson and then spent an hour and half with a certified technician reviewing all the mechanical and electrical systems on board. This was very helpful BTW. We stayed at the dealership for 2 nights with electric hookup to test use and note anything, and I mean anything, that was wrong or was problem. Having that opportunity was worth the trip out there and knowing that I would be breaking in the engine properly myself gave me a high level of confidence in trusting the rig would be right.

My short list that I would suggest to you would be:
1. Open every door, compartment and space. Inspect for anything unusual.
2. Operate every switch, lever, pushbutton, on every electronic device in the coach and for the chassis, Make sure everything works properly, including the windshield washer.
3. Drive the rig. Not just around the block, take it for an hour or so. Get comfortable with it, listen for any unusual noises, handling issues, braking, check the lights, tire pressures, oil level (which needs to be checked with the engine hot anyway). Note anything that seems strange.

This may be oversimplified but it should give you an idea of what to look for during your delivery inspection.
Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question!! It's only stupid if you don't ask it.
Take good notes, they will be very useful as you get familiar with the rig.
Don't know where you are purchasing from but a reputable dealer should be more that willing to accommodate your requests.

And, first and foremost, enjoy the hell out of your new rig!!
Hope all goes well and best wishes on your new View !!

mlmurrah

The 2018 has a compressor refrigerator (not an absorption unit that uses LP gas) and thus does not need to be level to operate. It is more like a home style refrigerator. That is one reason it is good to have solar panels to keep the batteries charged.

Winterbagoal

PDI checklists come in many forms. Most don't go into minute details but give you a broad range of major items and systems to look at.
When we purchased our '17 View 24G we ordered and purchased from Lichtsinn RV in Forest City IA. Flew out when it was ready for delivery and drove it home ourselves. We went through the delivery process, all indoors and heated, with our salesperson and then spent an hour and half with a certified technician reviewing all the mechanical and electrical systems on board. This was very helpful BTW. We stayed at the dealership for 2 nights with electric hookup to test use and note anything, and I mean anything, that was wrong or was problem. Having that opportunity was worth the trip out there and knowing that I would be breaking in the engine properly myself gave me a high level of confidence in trusting the rig would be right.

My short list that I would suggest to you would be:
1. Open every door, compartment and space. Inspect for anything unusual.
2. Operate every switch, lever, pushbutton, on every electronic device in the coach and for the chassis, Make sure everything works properly, including the windshield washer.
3. Drive the rig. Not just around the block, take it for an hour or so. Get comfortable with it, listen for any unusual noises, handling issues, braking, check the lights, tire pressures, oil level (which needs to be checked with the engine hot anyway). Note anything that seems strange.

This may be oversimplified but it should give you an idea of what to look for during your delivery inspection.
Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question!! It's only stupid if you don't ask it.
Take good notes, they will be very useful as you get familiar with the rig.
Don't know where you are purchasing from but a reputable dealer should be more that willing to accommodate your requests.

And, first and foremost, enjoy the hell out of your new rig!!
Hope all goes well and best wishes on your new View !!
To cacaw and CGKMGK and everyone else here at the "Academy of Motion Motorhomes" : Thanks. We picked up the new rig near end of March and have had it for just over a month now. Did basically everything you've suggested at the dealer and afterwards, and except for some really minor stuff that I fixed myself, have had almost zero problems. Even added my first dose of DEF yesterday at a truck stop's bulk DEF pump island. Didn't need it, but I was there, so I topped it up. No problems there, either. Pre-paid at the truck fuel desk, and off you go. Wish they had placed the DEF fill next to the diesel fill, but that's just me being lazy.

Have had our share of rattles, and have managed to locate and fix a few, the main ones being the sink covers, and the microwave internal parts. The entry door's roller shutter needed some pads added to stop it from banging against itself, and that's about it so far. We'll pick off the rest as they happen.

Everything else seems to be functioning as designed. We've been making "storage adjustments" due to the overall downsizing, by eliminating much unnecessary stuff. Our OCCC and towed weights are looking well within specs, so I think we're almost ready to test there.

I've already decided to add a 3rd panel and to get a BBQ Grill "Stay Longer" adapter added to the propane system, and eventually to upgrade the coach batteries, but for now that's it.

Looking forward to our first actual trip somewhere. Up to now it's just been local test drives to get the feel of it. Nothing longer than 60 miles out and back.
So far, so good. We think we're really going to enjoy it. It really is a nice vehicle.

cacaw

Batteries!

There's no real advantage to replacing your coach batteries until they are worn out. At that time, replace them with Costco 6V golf cart batteries and at about $85 each, they are by far the best bang-for-the-buck. You can certainly spend more on batteries but an exponential increase in price only delivers an incremental increase in performance. Better to spend that time/energy learning how to camp with 12-volt power and living within the power budget your coach is already set up for.

If you think of camping with batteries as being similar to camping with only the water you carry in, it's easy to understand why increasing your battery capacity by 10-30% isn't going to make any bigger of a "lifestyle" difference than it would make to carry an extra five gallons of water.

That said, you absolutely need to have a plan to continually monitor your batteries, keeping them fully charged at all times and never running them down below 12 volts. If you are sloppy in your charging of them, or if you run them down too low they will quickly lose both capacity and longevity.

The simplest way to handle battery charging is to put them on auto-pilot by installing a solar charging system and adopting a camping lifestyle that minimizes the power you consume. Once all of that is in place, you'll be able to use electricity the same way you do at home, without even thinking about it.

Or, you can charge your batteries by some combination of plugging in, driving, and/or running the generator - but that's not as easy as it sounds and you'll find that it's a real pain to continually monitor your batteries' state of charge and make sure you recharge them as often as necessary. It takes way longer to charge the batteries than most people think!

Enjoy your new camper - I'm really glad to hear that it's working out so well!

Top Bottom