Any Jayco Melbourne Owners

pfflyer

Don't know if there is a relationship between the two but you are right they are same basic floorplan and very similar finishes.

petersrc2

I am also looking at this unit, having sold my class A. Trying to decide between the cab over bed and the entertainment system. Also want the diesel generator
Hi
New to this site ---------- just took possession of our 2017 Melbourne 24K, and opted for "Entertainment Center", in lieu of the Bunk Bed. Would recommend this to anyone not really needing the extra sleeping space. We use it to store some of our less frequently needed "stuff".
We, too, committed to a major downsize from the 41' Monaco, Camelot with four slides, etc.
Still "getting used to" all the differences in size, comfort, quality, etc.,.

To highlight a few concerns::thinking:
*Dinette seat cushions "suck" ------ too soft. Hoping to have replaced with Firm/High Density Foam.
*Dash Instrumentation lacks "needed" information, e.g. no temp gauge, boost, load, etc. Have ordered UltraGauge EM-Plus.
*Wheel Alignment/Balance wanting.-I had it realigned, but still feel "vibration". Re-balancing arranged.

I notice similar experience/viewpoints posted for other Sprinter based units. Hope we can resolve soon.

Rudy

sailquik

petersrc2,
Where did you have the front end alignment and wheel balancing done?
The very close tolerance on the alignment pretty much requires the Hunter Engineering/MB Sprinter USA
Alignment tree/system.
As far as wheel balancing you need to ask whoever is doing the balancing if they are using the Haweka Pro 6
5 series/3500 USA Sprinter wheel adapters.
If not, they may not be able to give you a really accurate wheel balance because they cannot get the wheels
centered on the balance machine spindle concentrically.
MB Commercial/Sprinter shops have the right tools....almost no one else does.
Hope this helps,
Roger

pfflyer

Hi
New to this site ---------- just took possession of our 2017 Melbourne 24K, and opted for "Entertainment Center", in lieu of the Bunk Bed. Would recommend this to anyone not really needing the extra sleeping space. We use it to store some of our less frequently needed "stuff".
We, too, committed to a major downsize from the 41' Monaco, Camelot with four slides, etc.
Still "getting used to" all the differences in size, comfort, quality, etc.,.

To highlight a few concerns::thinking:
*Dinette seat cushions "suck" ------ too soft. Hoping to have replaced with Firm/High Density Foam.
*Dash Instrumentation lacks "needed" information, e.g. no temp gauge, boost, load, etc. Have ordered UltraGauge EM-Plus.
*Wheel Alignment/Balance wanting.-I had it realigned, but still feel "vibration". Re-balancing arranged.

I notice similar experience/viewpoints posted for other Sprinter based units. Hope we can resolve soon.

Rudy
Welcome to the forum. I was thinking on replacing the dinette with a reclining love seat but have learned to like it for work and eating. The dinette cushions aren't bad for us but we are coming up from a self converted Sprinter that is used mostly for work. Sailquick is right about the balancing and has a lot of hints on how to get the most from your Sprinter chassis using the Ultra-gauge. Lots of good folks and information here about your chassis and coach even though there are only a couple of us here with the Melbourne but a lot of the components in the coach are used in other brands.

What other issues are you having?

petersrc2

petersrc2,
Where did you have the front end alignment and wheel balancing done?
The very close tolerance on the alignment pretty much requires the Hunter Engineering/MB Sprinter USA
Alignment tree/system.
As far as wheel balancing you need to ask whoever is doing the balancing if they are using the Haweka Pro 6
5 series/3500 USA Sprinter wheel adapters.
If not, they may not be able to give you a really accurate wheel balance because they cannot get the wheels
centered on the balance machine spindle concentrically.
MB Commercial/Sprinter shops have the right tools....almost no one else does.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Thanks Roger
I initially tried some of the "regular" tire dealers who weren't set up to deal with Sprinter Motorhome ------- Eurotech was recommended and took on the job.
At the time of doing so, I hadn't yet read the various post (including yours) pointing out the need for specific equipment. At this point I do not yet know whether the do/don't have the Haweka Pro 6 (kit). Will check that out.
As it happens, we're leaving tomorrow a.m. for the dealer from whom we purchased the Melbourne. They've been informed that we still feel the vibration at highway speeds, and intend to re-balance the wheel ------- will discuss the newly garnered "requirements"
Thanks, again, for your information.
Rudy

petersrc2

Welcome to the forum. I was thinking on replacing the dinette with a reclining love seat but have learned to like it for work and eating. The dinette cushions aren't bad for us but we are coming up from a self converted Sprinter that is used mostly for work. Sailquick is right about the balancing and has a lot of hints on how to get the most from your Sprinter chassis using the Ultra-gauge. Lots of good folks and information here about your chassis and coach even though there are only a couple of us here with the Melbourne but a lot of the components in the coach are used in other brands.

What other issues are you having?
Thanks "PF" for your response
As for "other issues" ---------- don't want to sound too critical, but, we experienced some of the same issues already noted in others' posts.
*forward dinette window opened a couple of times on trip home from dealer (350 Km)
*Cosmetics: a) EdgeTrim on laminate table is not quite flush with table top, and b) wallpaper trim behind sink/range, in our opinion, is functionally impractical, and looks ???
We installed some self-adhesive aluminum tile "backsplash" from countertop to microwave height.
*Electrical switches/outlets installed in odd (not handy) locations ------- especially, the switch for the two LED lights forward of the Entertainment Cabinets, and the outlet near the base of the dinette seat and the outer wall.
*Door latch issue? Seems to me that the door latch to door jam tolerances are too tight; irritable squeak all the way home, without the ability to easily adjust same. Dealer issue!
Phew ----- didn't mean to make it sound so bad. We chose the small Sprinter to ease mobility/parking/storage, for it's better fuel economy, etc. Hopefully, we'll learn to enjoy it "shortly".
Rudy

vanoudenhoven

Good morning. I just purchased a Jayco Melbourne 24M. Love the space with the murphy bed. The problem right from the get go has been the slideout. Extending it works fine but I have to reset at the dual controller to get it to come back in. I get a code with 9 red lights and one green. That code means "hall power short to ground". It says this is usually a wiring problem.
It's under warranty of course so I'll have it looked at. This time of year, there is a bit of a wait to get it in. Irritating with a brand new unit. Anyone with similar problems? What was the ultimate cause? GVO
:bash:

pfflyer

Welcome to the forum. I haven't had that issue and haven't read about it on this forum or the Jayco owners forum http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/. There are several brands that use the Schwintek in-wall slide out and maybe someone here has had that issue.
Have you called Jayco Tech help yet? I called them with a question and they were very helpful. It also saved me a trip and time at the dealer.

vanoudenhoven

Thanks pffyler. I have spoken with Jayco tech a few times already. They are helpful but couldn't do much diagnostic work on this issue. I did manage to get it in to a local non-Jayco RV service place after Jayco assured me they would pay for the repair there. Since that slideout manufacturer supplies so many different units, I thought there would be enough experience to get the job done. I'll keep my fingers crossed. GVO

Viper One

Just purchased a 2019 Jayco Melbourne 24L. The chassis is a 2018. I also downsized from a Class A Tiffin Pheaton 42LH. Looking forward to the easy maintenance and driving, tired of the maintenance of the Class A. Any issues I need to be aware of?

pfflyer

Welcome to this forum as well. First thing is to find out what year Sprinter chassis you have. 2019 is the Jayco year model which could have been built on a 2018 Sprinter chassis. If you have a 2019 chassis it is the first year of a new Sprinter model /version. Some parts may or may not be different. Not an issue if you go to the dealer because they go by your VIN. Online parts purchases search by year for the most part.

Most important things to be aware of is make sure you use MB Spec oil and fluids found in your owners manual. Not just the weight but one formulated for diesels with our emissions. There is a MB spec in your manual and that same number should be listed on the oil container. There are a few exceptions but stay with OEM parts when you can. There are plenty of online vendors that sell MB parts as well as the dealer. Most MB dealers charge list prices and don't discount. If you have a Freightliner med duty dealer close by give them a try. Locally they are about 30-35% less for the same MB parts you get at the dealer. This is similar to discount you see online.
I don't recall any mentions of 2018/2019 model class C Sprinter chassis having wheel speed sensors failing but it could happen. I had at least 4 fail all at different times but all were replaced under warranty.

When you change the fuel filter you may have to disturb the turbo inlet seal. Here is a thread about that. I am not sure if that applies to the 2019 model or not.

There is a good database here and on youtube for step by step instructions if you need it.

Good luck and safe travels.

Viper One

Welcome to this forum as well. First thing is to find out what year Sprinter chassis you have. 2019 is the Jayco year model which could have been built on a 2018 Sprinter chassis. If you have a 2019 chassis it is the first year of a new Sprinter model /version. Some parts may or may not be different. Not an issue if you go to the dealer because they go by your VIN. Online parts purchases search by year for the most part.

Most important things to be aware of is make sure you use MB Spec oil and fluids found in your owners manual. Not just the weight but one formulated for diesels with our emissions. There is a MB spec in your manual and that same number should be listed on the oil container. There are a few exceptions but stay with OEM parts when you can. There are plenty of online vendors that sell MB parts as well as the dealer. Most MB dealers charge list prices and don't discount. If you have a Freightliner med duty dealer close by give them a try. Locally they are about 30-35% less for the same MB parts you get at the dealer. This is similar to discount you see online.
I don't recall any mentions of 2018/2019 model class C Sprinter chassis having wheel speed sensors failing but it could happen. I had at least 4 fail all at different times but all were replaced under warranty.

When you change the fuel filter you may have to disturb the turbo inlet seal. Here is a thread about that. I am not sure if that applies to the 2019 model or not.

There is a good database here and on youtube for step by step instructions if you need it.

Good luck and safe travels.
Yes my chassis is a 2018 and thanks for sharing all the information.

bradpark

Hello Viper One I have a 2017 chassis sprinter on a 2018 24L Melbourne. As pfflyer noted the speed sensors you should note.
I had Right rear sensor failure at aprox 15000mi in Feb 2019 . X2 on pfflyer notes on MB specs . Best to you

Viper One

Hello Viper One I have a 2017 chassis sprinter on a 2018 24L Melbourne. As pfflyer noted the speed sensors you should note.
I had Right rear sensor failure at aprox 15000mi in Feb 2019 . X2 on pfflyer notes on MB specs . Best to you
Is the RV still drivable if a speed sensor goes out?

bradpark

don't know about other person experiences to sensor failures
But
after my right rear failure drove aprox 200 miles before warranty repair work at MB shop. Tech at shop said failure of sensors was common theme for his shop .MB Palm Beach FLA
Had another ESP warning light show while in SD and IOWA area east bound in sustained 25-35 NW wind for 2 day. Had to drive about same 200 miles to MB dealer shop in Sioux City Iowa found no faulty sensors reset warning light and suggested the strong wind may have caused warning ?
He may have it right ? been over 5000 miles since so far still OK
Should note your cruise control system should not function when ESP warning lights.
After SD --IOWA stop I purchased a spare sensor for each wheel so I change out on the road if necessary .
If I recall the rear is side specific and the front is both same ( best check this if this is you intend to go this route)
overall I am good with the Melbourne 24L like it alot
hope your experience is positive as well

Top Bottom