2013 sprinter 2500 DEF wont reset

chasiuso

Just had the same issue with my 2013 2500. The countdown started at 10 and then the check engine light came on. Added more DEF but would not reset by itself. Brought it to the boundary dealership and they ran a diagnosis checking the quality of the DEF fluid and troubleshooting. Ended up being a software update! Apparently the update only came out a few weeks ago.

sailquik

The entire SCR/DEF ADBlue system is covered under the emissions warranty for ~100k miles.
Why mess with it.....take it to an authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer and have them repair it/reprogram it/ change
parts and software under your emissions warranty.
If beyond warranty, suggest you push them on the fact that it's an emissions related system that is supposed to continue working
as advertised.
Roger

MeRob

For what it's worth... I topped off my DEF tank in Sept just before going on a road trip. as I pulled out of my driveway... 'there it was !...the Dreaded Engine Warning Light . After having a computer update and having 2 NOx Sensors replaced... it went out!
And as sailquik says... READ YOUR WARRANTY ! and if necessary, read it to your MB Dealer.

Since there is NO 'Best Before Date' shown on the new DEF Container... nor do the DEF Manufactures stipulate how long the DEF will remain effective while stored in the vehicle's DEF Tank...the DEF shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, your Warranty covers putting the engine on the Computer. Good idea to do it !

sailquik

thedwightting,
Could you elaborate on your "tank is very slow to fill".
The DEF Fill Tube is ~ 3/4" ID....the flex hose that comes on most 2.5 gallon DEF kits
is ~5/8" OD......so how is it "slow to fill"
Many of the 2.5 gal DEF kits have a small rubber vent valve that allows air into the
DEF container so it pours out about as fast as possible through that size spout.
It "gurgles" a bit as the air is bled into the container (normally through the "handle").
Are you sure you put the DEF in the correct place?
Roger

rab01

I think the slow fill is caused by DEF going down the vent tube and the fill tube. The vent tube is about 2" below the top of the fill tube. I use a funnel with a long tube on it - so that the DEF exists below the level of the vent tube. This allows air to escape as intended - and allows a quicker fill. I had to completely drain my DEF tank to get the DEF out of the vent tube.

Top Bottom