Replacing GFCI / residual current interrupter

grozier

As noted on the Yahoo board, the GFCI in our van was the subject of a voluntary recall by ABB.

A GFCI is an essential part of a high-voltage circuit used outdoors or in wet conditions. When plugged in to shore power, the GFCI should "trip" when the test button is pressed. If yours fails this test, do not use shore power until the issue is resolved!

(A Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter continuously compares the current flowing into and out of an appliance (in this case, the whole van) and cuts the circuit if those currents differ. This would occur, for example, if a person or pet became energized by the appliance and offered a path to electrical ground. In theory, the GFCI cuts the circuit quickly enough to avoid electrocution.)

When ours failed the test and I searched for a replacement, I found the info on the recall and reached out to German and ABB contacts but heard nothing back. (I am in Berlin.) The US reps were much more helpful, and said Germany would be in touch. After several weeks of waiting during peak camping season, I went down to the local building supply store and purchased a new one with the 25A/30mA rating needed in our van, in the same two-pole DIN rail package.

Installation was not entirely plug-and-play; I had to shorten the copper bus bar linking the original four components at the bottom because it would not fit the new GFCI. The new component is designed for a different kind of bus. The solution was to cut the bus down to three and add a short jumper wire. If you have any doubts about this, please get a qualified electrician to wire it up! (To release a breaker from the DIN rail, use a small screwdriver to pull the spring-loaded tab down from below the breaker.)

The ABB part number for the new GFCI is F202A-25/0.03. I paid 23 Euros, but unfortunately they are a lot more expensive in the US. The best source might be Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.de/.fr/.es depending on what language you can read. Better yet would be if ABB (or Airstream) would replace a defective device for free.

Good luck and safe Sprinting,

Ted

http://www.sonepar.de/imperia/md/content/sonepar_de/abb-fi/erkennung_fehlerhafter_fi.pdf

https://www.platt.com/Downloads/pdfs/recalls/ABB-Recall-Poster-2.pdf

http://www02.abb.com/global/abbzh/a...e=us&m=9F2&c=7E615C16516D0EECC12572300029C283

Attachments

Thanks a bunch Ted for posting this information. Now I even have a picture of the box!
Wish you were going to be at Westyfest next weekend!

Bob

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
I found the little metal tab on the bottom of the GFI but it still doesn't want to come off. Is there a second tab to pull? Which direction do you pull? I was assuming rotate up from the bottom? It is scary to yank hard on anything plastic not knowing how much force is needed and I don't want to break stuff while fixing stuff.

After several months and maybe 10 visits to a local ABB supplier and 4 different people at ABB USA HQ I believe I have finally gotten to the right person for the recall. After I get the replacement part I will post the contact info. I was quoted $171 for the part if I just wanted to buy it.

Rob Baur

grozier

Rob,

Thanks for posting your experience. Let's hope you don't have to pay such a high price.

You need to pull that metal tab straight down to the floor; the breaker hangs on a rail and will rotate off, bottom edge toward you.

Ted

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
It was impossible to remove the GFI by pulling down on the tab. I pulled all the tabs on all the breakers and took them out as a unit. I found that there was a connector bar tying the GFI to the breaker to the right. The metal jumper must be removed before you can remove the GFI by pulling its tab.

I have to return the bad GFI before they issue an RMA for a replacement.

Trip # 12 & 13 to my local ABB dealer today!

Rob

grozier

Sorry I forgot to mention that bus bar here. On the new ABB replacement, they have switched to a slightly different format. You will have to cut one segment of that piece of copper and install a short jumper wire.

Hope everything works out for the exchange. If not, don't spend the crazy money they want; one from Europe directly would be circa 50 bucks. I can help for such an important safety item like this.

Ted

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
Finally got an RMA and dropped off the GFI at the ABB rep, it has the Westy number on it! This is what ABB said:
The part is made to order and is coming out of Europe. They are telling us standard lead time for made to order breakers is 4-5 weeks + delivery. We are currently waiting on ABB for the Vendor return process and are ordering the new breaker for you.

I can't believe they make them one at a time? No wonder they wanted $171 for it!

So no 110 VAC for 2 months I'm figuring. Had to run an extension cord into the Westy to power the battery tender since I can't use the built in charger. When I finally get the part, I will publish the contact information and step by step instructions. Quite an ordeal so far.....

Rob

Attachments

discus

GA Westy
Can't we just replace the entire breaker bank with a U.S. Made one? It seems that would be quicker and cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
The 110 vac outlet in the rear is already a standard dual socket US GFI outlet for some reason. Was it part of the Airstream "upgrade" with the generator? The inside 110 VAC outlets are single sockets and round. I suppose you could install standard US GFI outlets there. Not much room by the AC controls for a dual outlet there. There are breakers that have built in GFI and there may be specialized RV systems available. I'm just stubborn and the more roadblocks they put up, the more tenacious I get!

Rob

grozier

You could in theory replace all the DIN rail breakers with a US style system, but it would be cheaper to get a euro RCD shipped over. It just needs to be 30mA and 30A+. See for example http://www.amazon.co.uk/Residual-Cu...d=1415480258&sr=8-9&keywords=Residual+current

Better yet is for ABB to stand by their product!

It is very important that this breaker be as far "upstream" as possible; putting GFCIs at each outlet does not achieve the same effect. Not sure about the US, but most sites here also have an RCD built into the power box you connect to.

Interestly, our van (#121) has a regular, non-GFCI outlet in the back.

Ted

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
Still no replacement breaker/GFCI/RCD from ABB. 16 weeks and counting. The local rep did get in touch with ABB again the ABB guy said "He apologized for the way this issue has been handled and informed me he has taken the issue on himself". They have my defective unit so I have no 110 VAC in the camper. Once I actually get one, we should get together for a mass request. It will get their attention better and justify a production run. Supposedly they are made on order individually.

Rob

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
Success! I picked up the replacement ABB GFCI/RCD today! However I can't find the copious number of photos I took to document the wiring. I would appreciate posting clear photo/s showing the wiring on the top of the breakers and the bottom of the breakers.

Thanks

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
I finally have received the replacement GFCI/breaker/RCD after several months! Removal and installation is not trivial as a hidden connector must be removed and modified and an additional 8 gauge wire added. I will write up a procedure for you or an electrician to follow as this is 110 volts and many may not feel comfortable doing it them selves.

I believe the most efficient way would be a group request for return merchandise Authorization RMA from ABB. I would think dozens of individual requests spread out over months could delay the process. It took several months to get my replacement after I sent my defective unit in, hopefully they could be convinced to ship replacements prior to receiving the defective units so the Westy's would not be out of service and the removal and replacement could happen at the same time in one electrician visit.

I created a database on the Yahoo site for those with defective GFCIs interested in getting a replacement. Is there some way to make a list on this site for those not on the yahoo site also? Once I get an idea of how many replacements are needed I will contact ABB and see how they want to handle them.

Rob

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Ted/Rob: Thanks for tracking all this info down. As there were about 250 Westies imported into the US with 120 volt circuit breakers, would think that would be a good number to target.

Would think that ABB could get together with Airstream to get the exact number count. Airstream should have the names of all the original owners and subsequent owners could be identified by their VINs if their Sprinters were ever serviced by a dealer (Probably too much to hope for.).

If you could post contact person at ABB for voluntary recall, etc., that'd be great. Yahoo Groups doesn't work for me ever since their update.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Oh, it'd be nice if I didn't have to remove and wait for replacement. If ABB requires proof of ownership of a Westy, could send copy of registration. Or could do a refundable deposit or something with ABB--return original one after new one installed.

As of now, am not about to touch or test GFCI breaker--otherwise, might lose 120 volt circuits.

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
I don't think Airstream can be of much help to us orphans. Not many are still owned by the original owner. It is not a NTHSA safety recall. I don't know if 100% are bad, I remember some posts saying theirs worked. If you don't Yahoo, just post here so I can let ABB know what's coming..

Top Bottom