super single wheels for 2019 model

RickW

i am going nuts trying to find out information about the new sprinter model
does anyone know if i can get the mid wheel base 4x4 with the super single wheel?
i really need to be able to tow 3.5 tons and have the largest pay load in the van i can, so hoping i can get either 5ton or 5.5 ton on the van.
thanks in advance for any help
i am in Australia
Rick

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
i am going nuts trying to find out information about the new sprinter model

does anyone know if i can get the mid wheel base 4x4 with the super single wheel?

i really need to be able to tow 3.5 tons and have the largest pay load in the van i can, so hoping i can get either 5ton or 5.5 ton on the van.

thanks in advance for any help

i am in Australia

Rick
At this point only your local dealer can help once they get the info from the manufacturer representative for your region.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream

RickW

Yep ,have tried two different dealers.
both know nothing and are not getting much help from Mercedes.
in fact ,i know more than them [thanks to this site and other research]
i dont understand why they would release a new model and not also have all the specs updated and released at the same time.

sailquik

RickW,
3.5 Tons?
Is that 7,000 US pounds?
If you purchased the Sprinter in the USA it would have to be a 5 series (516 or 519) with dual rear wheels and the short rear
overhang.
Most of us here in the USA have even less information on AUS spec. Sprinter 4x4.
AUS Spec Sprinters have the full Iglhaut 4x4 system with locking differentials and a lock on the transfer case.
USA Spec 4x4 Sprinters have a modified version of the 4 matic 30%/70% system, so quite different.
Be sure you check the availability of SuSi (Super Single) replacement tires.
There are only a couple of choices (beyond to Continental Vanco Four Seasons in SuSi size) that you can get
that have the required weight rating.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

RickW

Hi Roger
thanks for the reply
yes a bit over 7000 pounds [when are you guys going to join the entire rest of the world with metric system?]
thanks for the tip on the tyre issue
I own a 5 series now ,519 dual wheels.i have been told the "5" denotes 5 tons and the 19 is 190HP engine
yes, i really want a mid wheel base , 5 ton, single super wheel, with 3.5 ton towing. 4wd
ill keep my fingers crossed that mercedes will produce one.
i reckon they will sell heaps for the caravan set,[we call them grey nomads down under] we have 1000s of them roaming around Australia
i dont need a fancy 4wd as I'm not interested in crazy 4wding ,just the ability to get into and out of situations a 2wd will struggle with
its much easier throwing everything into the back of the huge space in a van then setting up a standard 4wd like a land cruiser ,with roof racks, back door racks, drawers etc and with wasted space for the rear seats.
i can then also leave the caravan behind when heading off on very rough tracks and sleep in the van without the bother of setting up a tent.
best of both worlds i reckon.
will also need and use the van for my business.
Rick

Boxster1971

RickW - I just checked the Mercedes Sprinter UK web site. They have lots of info on the New Sprinter. Here is link to the "price list" that is more a 56 page brochure.
https://tools.mercedes-benz.co.uk/current/vans/pricelists/new-sprinter-price-list.pdf

Of course this document is for the U.K. market, but probably closer to what you will get in Australia than what we will see in USA.
Here is link to sources site about U.K. Sprinter:
https://vans.mercedes-benz.co.uk/products/the_new_sprinter/the_new_sprinter.html
- - Mike

Last edited:

RickW

thanks Mike
just had a good look at that
seems to have come out very recently in June
i wonder if the Australian one is due any time now
couldn't find any specific info on 4wd/awd ,so still not sure about weights for 4wd
seems they now have a lot more options to increase towing capacity, which mercedes was way behind the other manufactures
so that is good news, 2000 kg was always way to low for most people.
and not sure if i missed it but couldn't find any mention at all of the super single wheels ,so maybe not available in the UK?
Rick

Boxster1971

thanks Mike
just had a good look at that
seems to have come out very recently in June
i wonder if the Australian one is due any time now
couldn't find any specific info on 4wd/awd ,so still not sure about weights for 4wd
seems they now have a lot more options to increase towing capacity, which mercedes was way behind the other manufactures
so that is good news, 2000 kg was always way to low for most people.
and not sure if i missed it but couldn't find any mention at all of the super single wheels ,so maybe not available in the UK?
Rick

Yes - there was no mention of the super single in that list. Perhaps not available in UK.

- - Mike

3rdGen2019

I think yes you can.

from https://tools.mercedes-benz.co.uk/current/vans/pricelists/new-sprinter-price-list.pdf

Gross Combination Weight up to max. 8.75 t option code XP7
so with option code XP7 you can tow 3.5t and your vehicle can weight up to 5.25t with double wheels or up to 5t for super singles (they dont say if that 8.75t gcwr is available for the 5t super single but I think it is).

If instead you choose option code XP6:
Gross Combination Weight up to max. 8.0 t
Note: Only available in conjunction with OM642 DE 30 LA engine 140 kW. for vehicles with 5000 kg or 5500 kg gross vehicle weight rating
then you can tow 3.5t and your vehicle can weight up to 4.5t (with double wheels or with super singles).

To get a towing capacity of 3.5 t you have to get option QA3 or QA7.

The 8.75t gcwr is available to both Front-wheel drive and Rear-wheel drive but the towing capacity of 3.5 t only for Rear-wheel drive . The 8t gcwr also only for Rear-wheel drive . If the 4x4 AWD comes to Australia I suppose the specs will follow those of rear wheel drive.

Subtract a curb weight +driver of about 2300kg from the gcwr or from the gvwr to know how much you can carry in the van and how much you can tow.

For example a trailer of 4.12 tonnes (4184kg?) loaded in a way to have 15% of tongue weight will be a 3.5t of tow + 0.62t on the van's rear axle. Suppose 2.25t for the empty van + driver. So if you take the super single 5t of gvwr and 8.75t of gcwr then you're left with 2.13t for the wifey and the luggage you put in the van (ie 5-2.25-0.62). You must distribute that weight in the van to avoid going over the weight rating of each axle. If you have the double wheels you would have 2.38t (= 8.75-3.5-2.25-0.62) instead of 2.13t (maybe a bit less since the double wheel van would weight a bit more).

double wheel:
Weight variant 5.500 kg. The speed is limited to 90 km/h, trailer operations are only possible in
conjunction with the optional retarder. Option includes RF1+RG3+RM9+A50
super single:
Weight variant 5.030 kg. XL6 is available as a uprated payload variant for vehicles of the weight class 5000 kg with rear-wheel drive

RickW

Thanks 3rd gen
im hopeful that all you say will be available in Australia.
getting anxious to see what are specs are when they are released.
Rick

3rdGen2019

with the 8.75t of gcwr , 5t of gvwr (super single not double wheels) and 3.5t towing capacity options it ranks quite high for towing and payload. Many half ton pickup trucks have such a low payload that you quickly bust the gvwr limit if you have some passengers , luggage and trailer tongue weight. The sprinter payload is much better than that of those half ton pickup trucks, more in line with (and in many cases better than) 3/4 and 1-ton super duty trucks

Last edited:

RickW

Thats why i reckon Mercedes would sell a heap of sprinters with the specs i am after,to grey nomads traveling Australia, not wasting room and weight on seats ,and the payload and ease of loading is terrific compared to any other 4x4 usually used in towing caravans.

sailquik

RickW,
Have a look at the "adapter" for the spare wheel on a Super Single (SuSi).
You get 3 ea, regular 5 series/3500 USA wheels (5.5J x 16) to put on the front and as a spare for the front.
Then you get 2 of the SuSi super wide rims that will only fit on the rear SuSi hub adapters.
And you get an adapter that fits the rear hubs and allows you to put the spare tire on the rear.
Not a real good system.
Some have "enlarged" the spare tire carrier to hold one regular and one SuSi rim.
Check out some of "Mean in Green's"posts.....he has had a SuSi Sprinter since they were first introduced in the UK.
Roger

RickW

Thanks Roger
how do i find Mean in greens posts?i tried, but can't find them
and does anyone know if the new super single wheels are going to be improved for this model?
Rick

IdleUp

Just checking to see how successful the new 4x4 Sprinters have been. It appears to be a pretty neat package for the guy who wants traction in a van configuration.

Anyone have a few miles towing with one of these units?

Thanks In Advance!

Last edited:

calvin

Just checking to see how successful the new 4x4 Sprinters have been. It appears to be a pretty neat package for the guy who wants traction in a van configuration.

Anyone have a few miles towing with one of these units?

Thanks In Advance!
I used to tow a 5500gw trailer to the track with my race bikes a bunch. You don't even know trailer is back there.

Top Bottom