Towing a toad

Rookie0001

I have a 2016 Forester on a M/B 3500 chassis. Getting tired of renting cars when we stay for extended times. I'm thinking of attaching a rig and dragging a small toad ( not a Smart Car, but not much bigger). Wondering what it will do to overall mileage and if it's worth the wear and tear on the main chassis and components. It's just a 24' unit. Anyone have any thoughts and comments? Appreciate it. C'mon springtime......

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
Chevy Sonic LT hatchback automatic trans - 2700 lbs - towed four down - prob 2 MPG - worth it to me.

High Desert

We tow a Jeep Wrangler (2 Dr) with our 2017 FR 2400R. Does great, no issues. really don't see a "wear and tear" issue on chassis and components at it is a direct attach to the frame via the hitch. If I did not see the rig behind the MH, in the camera, would not know it was back there! The Jeep is about 4500 pounds, loaded, and mileage drop is maybe 2 - 3 mpg. Initially we were not getting a toad, but after a few trips and breaking camp and resetting (even though it was easy) decided that a toad was a better option for us. No regrets.

Rock Doc

Although you’ll likely get several replies here, it will still behoove you to do a Forum search on this topic. It’s been addressed far more than multiple times, and you’ll get a much broader spectrum of opinions than from just this one thread that you can use to inform any decisions you make.

Rock Doc
2014 Pleasureway Plateau TS on 2013 3500 chassis, occasionally flat-towing a 4700 lb. modified 2012 Jeep JK 2-dr

hoosierrun

We tow a Toyota RAV4 (modified for towing 4 down). The base vehicle weight is 3750#. With an LTV motorhome on the Sprinter 3500 Chassis the setup does good with about 2 MPG penalty (less at lower speeds, more on the Interstates at 70+). Up steep mountain grades, we do loose a little speed because of the limited top end RPM's, but it really isn't that bad. When the Mercedes diesel works like it should, it is amazingly efficient. Towing takes a while to get used to (like not being able to back up) and it is expensive to set up. Don't skimp on the safety items like a braking system. The 3500 is not like a big diesel pusher and you need the help of the toad brakes to help you stop in a reasonable distance. Tons of discussion elsewhere.

High Desert

Initially, we were not going to do the toad thing, but, when planning a month long trip, we decided to look at a toad so we would not have to break camp every time we decided to go somewhere. We ended up with a 2 dr Jeep Wrangler Sahara, used. We have a 2017 MBS Sprinter, Sunseeker 2400R model and it pulls the jeep great. When traveling interstates, regardless of high speed limit, we generally run at 65 mph just to stay on the safer side of speed. Wranglers seem to be the most chosen toad out there for use. The JK fits nicely under the weight restriction MB puts on tow capacity and the MH / toad combo handle nicely - don't know its there unless you look at the camera. Downside of the 2 Dr JK, is if you have more than 2 adults, entry in/out of the rear seat is not easy - OK for kids, but older adults would be a chore. Our purchase was a used 2008 and we did the install of the brake and breakaway setup ourselves. It had been used a toad prior so already had the light harness and Blue Ox baseplate installed. For a decent JK, out here in the PNW, plan on $15K (used) to as much as you want to spend for new. Supposedly, the new JL's, for 2018, are lighter and have more engine choices. They also cost more. I would not hesitate to get a decent JK series for a toad. Biggest problem on the used market is finding a decent price with low miles. Also, if looking at used Wranglers, be aware of how much lift one may have as the towbar height needs to be within a few inches of the MH hitch height. Too high and panic stop can cause the Jeep to go over the towbar it could get nasty. Hope this helps you,

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Well I just bought a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, with the locking differentials and all it has all the off-road capability I need and is very comfortable on road. Curb weight is published as 4,028 lbs and yes, it will be more than that but essentially in the same ballpark as a JK. Also with Active Drive II it is flat-towable with no restrictions. I'm not sure if I'm going to bother to tow it yet but at least it should be a reasonable candidate for doing so if I later choose.

mlmay12

We tow a Jeep Wrangler (2 Dr) with our 2017 FR 2400R. Does great, no issues. really don't see a "wear and tear" issue on chassis and components at it is a direct attach to the frame via the hitch. If I did not see the rig behind the MH, in the camera, would not know it was back there! The Jeep is about 4500 pounds, loaded, and mileage drop is maybe 2 - 3 mpg. Initially we were not getting a toad, but after a few trips and breaking camp and resetting (even though it was easy) decided that a toad was a better option for us. No regrets.
Dynamax Isata 3 24'. I tow a 2 Door Wrangler and my biggest concern is the Transmission Fluid Temperature. A drop of 3 mpg down to 12 is OK but I have an Ultragauge that shows Trans Temp as high as 230 occasionally and that alarms me.

T00lman1

Our Toad is a Fiat 500L manual transmission. Lots of room, lots of pep with the turbo. Steering wheel doesn’t lock so no ignition key needed while towing, therefore no miles accumulating.

Coolrvers

For those towing with a Sprinter 24', what brand supplemental brake system are you using? Did you plug the toad's electrical wire into the factory installed 7-pin electrical connector and how did you set-up the controller module at the cockpit side of the dash? We want to carry-over our US Gear Unified Brake vacuum system on our 2006 Honda CR-V.

CB1945

There is no reason why you should not pull a toad but do your research before hand. We have towed our 2013 CRV behind our old Dutchstar for many thousand miles and will be doing the same behind our new Unity. The CRV weighs in at about 3250 lbs with a full tank of fuel and all our gear etc.

Your coach likely has a 5000 Lb Hitch. Whatever you tow MUST be under that limit. Ideally not over 4000 Lb. Loaded that is.... There are many good choices to meet this weight and be towable with all four wheels down. You do not want to get into using a dolly. PITA.....
Yes, there are some that say they have towed their 4800+ Lb jeep and never had a problem. But common sense says, don't push your luck. Do your homework before you spend a bunch of money and find out it's not going to work out....

You will need a good tow bar and Aux Braking System. If your not familiar with this set up up, I suggest you go and talk to a qualified dealer on how to do it right. BlueOx and Roadmaster both make good products. SMI is one of the best and least complicated Braking systems.
The attached link will provide you with a plethora of real good information to put you on the right track.

http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

Last edited:

raptor

I'm towing all four 2017 Chevy Spark manual. Get 13.75 mile/gallon because lot of hills. A little over 14 on flat terrain.

Top Bottom