Potential Newbie Getting Frustrated

PapaRoe

We are so frustrated! We sold our travel trailer, and truck last year. Now, we are getting the the travel bug again, but want to get a Motorhome, Class B, or C. It’s just the two of us and our dog.

At first we considered a used Sprinter style RV’s that have the MB diesel, thinking that the MB has an outstanding reputation of long lasting, and good mpg. Then we read all sorts of engine code problems, and other problems, and then locating a dealer to fix it while on the road is a nightmare.

On another side of our search is the manufacturer of the RV. I’m sure that all of you have heard of poor craftsmanship in almost every manufacturer. We know that ALL will have things come loose, screws coming out, etc. Because driving down the road will shake things loose, or crack plastic moldings. That’s just part of RV’ing.

With end of the year approaching, and large discounts, we thought about getting new. However, that would be a big stretch on out budget. Buying new would limit our travel budget. So we would have a nice RV to look at, and dream about using it.

Sorry for the long post. Just venting, but also seeking some encouraging advice,

HarryN

If you are looking for a lot of purchasing power in a class B or B+, what I saw at RV shows is to look at builds based on at least a ford F450 or 550 size chassis.

The builds based on 350 size frames just don't have much carrying or towing capacity left once the RV items are added.

In your favor, RV sales in general seem to be slowing a bit.

For me personally, I keep looking at a truck or van with very limited features + open floor plan tow hauler trailer such as the falcon F-23TH. I don't plan to put a toy in, I just like the easy loading aspect.

Wish the rear door was taller, but what do you do.

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
We found our motorhome with 39,000 miles and for $39k, see sig below. 2 oil changes, a trans service, 3 new batteries, and fuel. Been about 13K miles issue free, don't believe all the hype. We went small class C because neither of us are a fan of the "wet bath" in the B, the mileage isn't that different, and it still fits in a parking space.

To be worried about where you can travel and get it fixed 2/3rds of our miles are in Baja so not getting it fixed in the next town. Get a scanner, maintain it, and go have fun! Most owners just drive it and have never even heard of this forum

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
My suggestion would be to search for a gasoline-powered rig. The basic Sprinter powertrain is rock solid. But you SHOULD believe all the hype about unreliable diesel emissions systems, catastrophic consequences thereof, expensive repairs, and scarce MB dealer availability. Isolated stories about trouble-free vans are no doubt true, but tell you almost nothing about the fleet. Next time I buy, I will consider another Sprinter, but I will not consider another diesel.

As for coach problems, they are as you say ubiquitous, but they are rarely vacation-ruining. Learn how to fix stuff, live with the hassles, and enjoy your travels.

Last edited:

flyag1

We are so frustrated! We sold our travel trailer, and truck last year. Now, we are getting the the travel bug again, but want to get a Motorhome, Class B, or C. It’s just the two of us and our dog.

At first we considered a used Sprinter style RV’s that have the MB diesel, thinking that the MB has an outstanding reputation of long lasting, and good mpg. Then we read all sorts of engine code problems, and other problems, and then locating a dealer to fix it while on the road is a nightmare.

On another side of our search is the manufacturer of the RV. I’m sure that all of you have heard of poor craftsmanship in almost every manufacturer. We know that ALL will have things come loose, screws coming out, etc. Because driving down the road will shake things loose, or crack plastic moldings. That’s just part of RV’ing.

With end of the year approaching, and large discounts, we thought about getting new. However, that would be a big stretch on out budget. Buying new would limit our travel budget. So we would have a nice RV to look at, and dream about using it.

Sorry for the long post. Just venting, but also seeking some encouraging advice,

I sent you a PM feel free to contact me directly: I am driving my 3rd sprinter and willing to share my experiences. You don't see many post here on the forum praising the sprinter, but I have a lot of respect for the Van... I'm driving my 3rd as a daily driver.

Shawn182

If you want a manufactured B rig look at the Travato G or K models. It is a Ram Promaster, not a Sprinter but they seem to be solid platforms.

Lots of late model used unit on the market and good resale if you end up wanting to flip it and ultimately go another direction.

Almost bought one of those to test the waters on a van camper before I decided to do a custom build to suit my needs more.

Last edited:

Flagster

Low mileage RV use with complicated emissions systems seems to have many problems. I would avoid low miles on older MB rvs...(t1ns excluded maybe) We run our '15 over 18K a year, mostly highway and not a blip now at over 62K...bought new though and maintained meticulously...ours isn't a rv platform but a 144 4x4...
I would buy a travato for the money right now...

Top Bottom