Alaska to Patagonia in a NCV3

lindenengineering

No!
I think its a great way for visitors to the Iberian peninsular to explore the lesser known areas of Spain, the Pyrenees & Andorra .

The visit to remote monasteries obviously intrigues me since in my youth as a student in France I once stayed overnight in a Monastery on the Massive Central. My hosts were related to French friends I had in college as we toured the country on motorcycles .

I confess I enjoyed the very best gastronomy known to man in that place of eternal worship! Their drinks selection was extraordinary, and resulted in me stretched out on the lawn in motorcycle leathers and an alcoholic haze after a sumptuous lunch ! The trip had to be postponed until tomorrows matins to recover !:rolleyes:

The east west trip looks exciting but I would rather explore the region on a dirt bike scrounging a place to sleep with the locals. Basically dive in and get washed over in the culture, food/customs & local lingo!
Thanks for posting this Ed !:thumbup:
Dennis

Ed463

No!
I think its a great way for visitors to the Iberian peninsular to explore the lesser known areas of Spain, the Pyrenees & Andorra .

The visit to remote monasteries obviously intrigues me since in my youth as a student in France I once stayed overnight in a Monastery on the Massive Central. My hosts were related to French friends I had in college as we toured the country on motorcycles .

I confess I enjoyed the very best gastronomy known to man in that place of eternal worship! Their drinks selection was extraordinary, and resulted in me stretched out on the lawn in motorcycle leathers and an alcoholic haze after a sumptuous lunch ! The trip had to be postponed until tomorrows matins to recover !:rolleyes:

The east west trip looks exciting but I would rather explore the region on a dirt bike scrounging a place to sleep with the locals. Basically dive in and get washed over in the culture, food/customs & local lingo!
Dennis
And until we stumbled on this, I didn't even know there was a Desert in Spain. Man made:idunno: not exactly the Sahara but stunning all the same
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bardenas_Reales

I agree with you Dennis, the Spanish have pretty relaxed view on rights of way, but a Sprinter is a bit big to fully explore.

Attachments

Last edited:
Dennis
Definitely something fun and adventurous to consider and it wouldn't take long to teach the Belgian Malinois to balance on bike! Staying and guarding it while away would be quite easy to train and these loyal K9's are so beautiful and smart it's quite likely more opportunities would manifest. :cheers:

lindenengineering

ueen of England

And until we stumbled on this, I didn't even know there was a Desert in Spain. Man made:idunno: not exactly the Sahara but stunning all the same
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bardenas_Reales

I agree with you Dennis, the Spanish have pretty relaxed view on rights of way, but a Sprinter is a bit big to fully explore.
Ah yes roads and tracks can be a bit tight for exploration for the curious in a van !
The Bardenas Reales valley and the Ebro basin is legendary.
Areas of an English historical medieval connection, since a few English royal consort queens originated from this region of Navarre & Aragon.

Having scudded about in Spain several times on motorcycles in the region I am often reminded of ancient places off the beaten track. A knowledge of Spanish is often required to fully understand some locals who are often very eager to discuss their region, its history, & places of interest.

On one occasion I went off on a tangent looking for connections of a little known Queen of England who hardly stepped foot in her new found realm of England. Notably Berengaria de Navarre, Queen of England was Richard the 1st's (Richard Coeur de Lion ) wife . Not much is written about her and she doesn't feature much in English history unless you go looking.

Nevertheless strike up some conversations over food and drink with local people and its amazing what you can discover.
Yes Spain its fascinating place away from the tourist traps especially if you are English (a Brit) .

For those curious here is something about Berengaria de Navarra:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bDZ4L60gF8

Dennis

lindenengineering

Oh Wow
Now I am really envious.
Keep posting--I am enjoying this.

As for English Queen as royal consorts those from Medieval France were less than submissive and more like downright bloody dangerous to the realm. Richard 1st mother of Eleanor of Aquitaine did not take lightly to her husband's dalliances . Look up Fair Rosamund de Clifford from your part of the world in Shropshire one of the many Laid ies of Henry 2nd .
Then if that wasn't enough what about gay King Edward 2nd who remains are in Gloucester Cathedral . His missus Isobella of France & her retinue murdered him with by a red hot sword up the rectum in Berkeley Castle. A woman scorned & all that!:lol:
So much for a menage a trio with one Piers Gaveston who as part of the family so to speak:laughing:. In one expression Liasons dangereux!!:bounce:
Dennis

lindenengineering

Well that's my Sunday afternoon gone Dennis:cheers:

Here's my family name;
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwalchmai_(disambiguation)

So you can see I wouldn't be a fan of Edward I or II:lol:

But a red hot sword or poker:idunno:
Yes !
Gawain one of our Welsh brethren en mass who Edward 1st rather forcefully/brutally joined Wales to England.
I wonder what he would of thought of Welshman Owain Tudor of the bed chamber (guardian of the stools) having then an "illicit liaison" with widow woman Queen Catherine de Valois and producing Edmund Tudor. The latter decedent then taking the English throne by conquest from the Plantagenet line and our Henry the 7th Tudor. (Henry versus Richard 3rd who was Hacked "n whacked to death by a halberd at Bosworth Field )

As for the hot sword or poker affair does it matter? The end result is the same.OUCH!:rolleyes:

As a footnote to this foray into something very English for our American forum members!
Edward the 1st goes down in history not only for being the brief villainous star in the film Braveheart but he is more famous for persecution of the Jews who had followed William the Conqueror to our hallowed shores post 1066.

Adolf must have been a scholar of English history some 700 years later since Edward 1st used their money to fiance warfare against the Welsh & Scots. Then made them add a Jewish marker to their clothing before slaughtering them or throwing them out of the realm by All Saints Day.

They were not protected by the Manga Carta 1215 as Jews by the way.

Luckily those that did survive found fleeing refuge in Poland under the Treaty of Kalisk (1258??) having forfeited their wealth to Edward 1st . Makes Trump a wimp by comparison :laughing:
Dennis

Ed463

Love it:cheers:

I figure we both deserve some sort of award:
Never In The History Of Sprinter Source Has Anyone Managed to Go So Far Off Topic in So Few Posts:lol::lol:

BTW I literally worked 150 yards down the road from Caernarfon Castle (the nuclear deterrent of the 1200''s) for a few years. Great times:clapping:

lindenengineering

Great!
On the same theme! My missus Linda had this "burr in her saddle" to buy:crazy: an old castle in Italy.
Sitting in bed one Saturday morning she is on her lap top looking for such edifices.
Not having much luck I said type in "castelli immobiliari Italia"
Then the exclamation!--Oh lots of them but its all in ITALIAN ! I don't understand a word of it !
Waddayah expect Luv, its all in Italy FFS!!:lol:
Good stuff & enjoyment this
Dennis

Ed463

Great!
On the same theme! My missus Linda had this "burr in her saddle" to buy:crazy: an old castle in Italy.
Sitting in bed one Saturday morning she is on her lap top looking for such edifices.
Not having much luck I said type in "castelli immobiliari Italia"
Then the exclamation!--Oh lots of them but its all in ITALIAN ! I don't understand a word of it !
Waddayah expect Luv, its all in Italy FFS!!:lol:
Good stuff & enjoyment this
Dennis
:clapping:
We came close to buying an ex Baronial Hunting Lodge. 25Ha / about 60 acres of olive grove, vines, woodland and arable land. €125k:wtf:
But it was too much of a project:lol:
Anyway sat here having my morning tea watching a fox sun itself about 30 yards away. It's tough here:laughing:

lindenengineering

:clapping:
We came close to buying an ex Baronial Hunting Lodge. 25Ha / about 60 acres of olive grove, vines, woodland and arable land. €125k:wtf:
But it was too much of a project:lol:
Anyway sat here having my morning tea watching a fox sun itself about 30 yards away. It's tough here:laughing:
Well
How's about this?
A "hunting lodge" and it appears to have a pool as well!
Yours for ONLY about 3,000,000 Euros.
I said to the the Missus who's going to mow the bloody lawns--and the maintenance starts immediately!:thumbdown::lol:
Dennis

http://www.luxuryitalianproperty.it...nti_toscana/immobili_di_prestigio_vendita.php

This looks like nothing more than a rental ad. Am I missing something?
I think I'm missing something too.

The title is:

Doesn't the title take you from North America to South America? It seems like a bit of a detour to include Spain, Italy, etc. That's some serious meandering.

:cheers: vic

lindenengineering

I think I'm missing something too.

The title is:

Doesn't the title take you from North America to South America? It seems like a bit of a detour to include Spain, Italy, etc. That's some serious meandering.

:cheers: vic
Well why not!
I had German couple in a 406 Unimog camper do just that but in reverse!
Left the fatherland and toured Europe--Crossed into Africa and soldiered on down through Kenya into South Africa. The radiator kinda got fixed in Nairobi !
The the rig was bunged on a ship to Montevideo where they set off scudding down to Punta Arenas. Then back tracked up crossing frequently into Chile & Argentina. They got a ferry in Guayaquil and then set off north through Central America and Mexico. Crossing into the USA is where I met them as customers with blown head gaskets & overheating in southern Colorado. Turned up on the hook!
That Kenyan radiator repair was the culprit so it had a new radiator built in Denver by Serck and the heads re-worked by us, including new injectors and an FIE pump overhaul the beast was restored to as good as new! Legendary MB purr!
Going back down to Mexico for the winter they got bricked/stoned on the way back in Springtime to the USA. So we fixed it again with new windshields flown in from Germany and repaired the cab.
It left again looking like new with a fresh cab paint job . Then they set off once again going up into Canada where they ended up in Nova Scotia selling the rig to a local, & flew home.

One thing wandering about in the world!
Frontiers and supposed hostile territories are no impediment to Brits and Germans. You will find them everywhere wandering about in remote places.
The last time I stumbled up a German couple was in an MB van, in Ghan of all places camping.
After the pleasantries, I was offered hot coffee. Instant and most apologetic .
Sorry its Maxwell House its chemistry coffee, its American, its schit but its wet and warm. better than nothing.
Prost--vilen danke :crazy:
Dennis

Top Bottom