Andys Pop-top

GPSTrans1

gpstrans1
The tents are available in a variety of materials-this one happens to be Sunbrella. The various materials don't allow water leakage under the heaviest of downpours (but still breathe)-as long as you remember to close the sunroof and screen cover zippers. Doktor A
looks good andy,got the same top on my rinker boat!:rad:

Raegan

Nice car you got there.. been checking our community saw a lot of campers....its perfect

Last edited:

Dingo

Might sound like a daft question , but do they also make a version where the hinge is at the front edge ?.
Hate to think of the damage caused if the top sprung up when driving , seen a car with an aftemarket glass sunroof fitted wrong way round . Glass blown out & roof panel ripped open
Looks nice though

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
Might sound like a daft question , but do they also make a version where the hinge is at the front edge ?.
Hate to think of the damage caused if the top sprung up when driving , seen a car with an aftemarket glass sunroof fitted wrong way round . Glass blown out & roof panel ripped open
Looks nice though
Seems smart to have the hinge at the front and place the height at the rear.

I have a neighbor who is a committed Westfalia VW Vanagon buff. He has 2. I'll have to grab a tape measure and see if a salvaged cap could be fitted uncut to a 118" T1N Sprinter like mine.

It occurs to me that instead of cutting the 118" Sprinters roof panel out, leave it uncut and fit a level "sleeping platform" atop it with the Westfalia hinged cap over it. With the entry at the back, a standard van rear door ladder could be fitted to climb in and out. Basically you'd have a rooftop "Murphy bed". Just an idea, not sure how wierd it would be w no direct access to the van interior.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Yes. The model years 1968-1971 have the poptop hinge fitted to the front of the van with the luggage carrier in the back.
However, IIRC, if you had your own poptop taken off of a VW camper, you can install it any way you want, front or rear facing.
Also, In the '68-'71 VW, there is an approx 3.5 x 3.5 ft square opening that you get up to the pop top with. The entire roof of the van is NOT missing. Therefore, if you had a 2 x 2 opening cut in the top of your Sprinter (like a vent/fan combo) you could have yourself an access area. You wouldn't *need* to access the pop top from the outside/back.
Good luck!:thumbup:

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
With the entry at the back, a standard van rear door ladder could be fitted to climb in and out. Basically you'd have a rooftop "Murphy bed".
...and on a rainy night you'd be crawling into your bedroom soaking wet.
(with no place to hang your rain jacket to dry)

--dick (who has frequently driven into a camping spot, spent the night and then driven off in the morning without ever having opened a door...)

I am looking for a RV style window for my 2006 140" for the passenger side sliding door , can you or anyone who knows let me know where I can buy one of these, thanks in advance.

Attachments

jackbombay

2003 158" shc
Full sized panels are too heavy for a pop top, even one with spring lift assist at each of the hinged front corner posts.

Doktor A
With a gas strut mounted to the roof you won't notice solar panels on the roof, I just so happen to make and sell a kit for vanagons to mount gas struts to the pop top, I sell 3 different strength struts depending on how much weight you have on the roof, here is a link to my sale page, http://poptopshocks.blogspot.com/

Let me know if you have any questions :)

1hen2ducks

2006 SHC & DAD owner
How about his unique grill? Mercedes/Freightliner/Mercedes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I want that grill.

´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸ ><((((((º>
`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸ ><((((º>
.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸ ><((((((º>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Top Bottom