Tire sizes and options.

ions82

My 2004 158" needs some new rubber. It will be a road warrior, so the only dirt it will ever see is an occasional dirt road/driveway. I live in the southwest and try to avoid snow and ice as much as possible. For me, longevity, efficiency, and comfort/noise will be paramount.

In previous years, I've had Dodge diesel pickups. Typically, the sidewalls crack and split well before the tread wears out. I'm wondering if it's worth the extra expense to splurge on higher end tires if the sidewalls are just going to fail long before the rest of the tire does. I'm currently looking at a set of Michelin XPS and some MUCH cheaper tires from Crosswind (both from Wally World). Both have the same load rating. However, the Michelins are listed as weighing 15 pounds more (each) than the Crosswind. Obviously, it's a much more robust tire. Does that automatically mean that it would feel like riding on a solid tractor tire? I don't want a rough ride that is going to beat up both me and my van. The Michelins are nearly three times the cost of the Crosswind. With a warranty, are the cheapos the better option? Would the Michelin dry out long before they worn out? I will haul some hardwood from Michigan on occasion (maybe 1,500 pounds max.) Do I need 50-pound tires?

Also, is the stock tire size best for the T1N? Does anyone run 215/85-16? Is there enough room for 235/85-16? I was planning to just stick with stock.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Buying expensive 90k tires are only worth it if you drive 90k within 6 yrs.
If you drive 45k in 6 yrs , you'll pay twice what they are worth to you, and then the Crosswinds will be the right tire, especially if you don't mind supporting the Chinese economy.

ions82

Buying expensive 90k tires are only worth it if you drive 90k within 6 yrs.
If you drive 45k in 6 yrs , you'll pay twice what they are worth to you, and then the Crosswinds will be the right tire, especially if you don't mind supporting the Chinese economy.
Good point. And good point. Tell you what. I'll put forth the cost of the cheapos toward the Michelin, and you can cover the rest. Sound good? Together, we can support the American economy. Through complacency and unbridled consumerism, we've priced ourselves right out of any sort of competitive market. If there were an American alternative that were 25-30% more, I'd spring for that without hesitation. Nearly three times the cost? I'm too poor to toss that kind of money to support my fellow Americans (who don't give a rat's fat ass whether I live or die.). Thankfully, this forum is a small haven where people seem to genuinely care about helping one another.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There are other countries who make tires ... Thailand for one, South Korea for another.

Investigation of the various tires construction may show that a "6 ply rating" may only be rendered with 4 (thicker?) plies.

--dick

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
I'd second the thought on get them rated for as long as you will drive in 6 years. FWIW I had discount tire warranty 6 michelins that were 4 years and 10 months old with dry rot on the sides, I bought the michelins again but got about 1/2 off so about $6-700 for all 6 installed. They have a factory warranty for 6 years.

I agree with figuring tires aging out into the selection process. There wasn't any mention of expected miles per year in the OP.

For my trailers I was once a Goodyear Marathon Radial ST tires fan boy. After having some problems with the Marathon radials, and reading the reviews from others, I no longer buy the Goodyear trailer tires. So far my tire service has been fine with using other brands.

This may be heresy in these days of replacing tires based upon age alone, but I was always taught that minor sidewall cracking wasn't a concern. I suppose that the problem is properly defining what is "minor".

The stock LT225 75r16 tires have worked for me. I generally buy Mastercraft tires.

There are bunches of tire discussion threads here and on other forums.

:cheers: vic

Top Bottom