Amazon and Sprinters

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
I read recently that the car brand with the highest percentage of American made parts is surprisingly Honda, not GM, Ford, or Chrysler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

john61ct

Is Amazon just a big business, or BIG business. How far does a business need to go before it crosses the line into triggering investigation as a monopoly?
Has more to do with the inclinations of those in positions of power, than with objective reality.

99% of laws on the books are only very selectively enforced.

All depends whose ox is getting gored, and how corrupt our political system is,

and that has lots more to do with the integrity of those we elect, than left / right political party affiliation.

Zephyr Teachout, Gillibrand and Warren are well focused on these issues on the left.

I think McCain might have been a straight shooter?

Not sure of conservative equivalents.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/11/8/18076440/facebook-monopoly-curse-of-bigness-tim-wu-interview

Sprinter SS

Are all the Amazon sprinters gasoline rather than diesel?
The Amazon spec Sprinters are all 2wd 144" high top cargos, V6/5spd.
They have some odd steps and side rails, should be a lot of vans hitting the market at the same time when those leases end. Granted they will be fairly beat and high mileage but a interesting example of punishing use age.

Good grief! - this whole forum has turned into a political Danger Zone.
:idunno:

There has often been reasonable economic and political discussion in the main areas of the forum. If it becomes DZ worthy it can be moved to there. Most times that isn't necessary.

My observation is that in most cases the original subject is answered/discussed in the first couple pages or so of any thread. Unless the topic is very specific or special, after some number of posts things seem to meander.

This is a forum, not a library or a database. If things really need specific input a new thread can be created.

"Keeping me [them] on topic will be as successful as herding cats."
To date there are no cat herding moderators on Sprinter-source.

:2cents: vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Just as a tiny data point, i haven't seen any in my neck of the Seattle "woods".

What we *do* have is the fleet of private cars full of Amazon packages ... the "Amazon Flex" fleet: https://flex.amazon.com/

Amazon offers "same day, frequently within 2 hours" around here...

--dick (not a "Prime" customer)

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
I read recently that the car brand with the highest percentage of American made parts is surprisingly Honda, not GM, Ford, or Chrysler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, and I read recently that number two is Toyota.

BMW has the largest automobile plant in the US and exports more American made automobiles than any other US manufacturer.

And most Sprinters sold worldwide are made in the US.

Yet vehicle parts and engines and electronics are manufactured all over the world, so place of origin of parts is very much a global trade even if final assembly is local.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
And most Sprinters sold worldwide are made in the US.
Have you got a reference for that statistic?

Given that the factories in Dusseldorf (and i think there's a 2nd one in Germany) and Argentina have been pumping out millions (over 1 million had been sold by 2005), it's hard to believe that the US is now the primary producer.

--dick

65C02

I'm starting to see more prime wrapped vehicles around here on Long Island - but they are mostly...Promasters with some Transits mixed in.

The majority of prime vehicles were up until recently, plain white transits (with some company name scribbled on the door) - with extremely aggressive bad drivers - dents and duct tape to match. perhaps its the ECO boast? (our community lodged complaints w/ amazon - drivers were pulling up on lawns to turn around, speeding, reckless, always lost etc. -at first Amazon denied - then came the camera footage... ) The new wrapped vans must be a different contractor - so far so good. Perhaps now being a billboard for Amazon, they've been spoken with.

As a side note, I was amazed by the sheer number of sprinters I saw on a recent trip to Manhattan. I'd say ~80% of the Euro vans we saw were sprinters. There were a lot of vans. Most regular roof vans were GMC/Chevy. Majority of the Sprinters that day were LWB work or delivery vans not many passenger - which surprised my local dealer when I spoke with him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

Aggressive driving as style may be the result of pencil pushing, pocket protector bean counters counting every footstep. UPS drivers are always sprinting.

Remember, Domino's Pizza had to cancel their campaign of your pizza is delivered in under 30 minutes or it's free because drivers were getting into too many accidents.

john61ct

Aggressive driving as style may be the result of pencil pushing, pocket protector bean counters counting every footstep. UPS drivers are always sprinting.
Yes but as Teamsters at least making a living wage, health care, pension etc

The poor sods getting 1099-scammed by the gig economy, may God have mercy on the souls of their abusers. . .

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
Have you got a reference for that statistic?

Given that the factories in Dusseldorf (and i think there's a 2nd one in Germany) and Argentina have been pumping out millions (over 1 million had been sold by 2005), it's hard to believe that the US is now the primary producer.

--dick
Yes, you are correct. Previous information in 2016-2017 said that Mercedes had planned to export from the US to all of the Americas but sounds like from the information that this has changed due to business changes or the tariffs now in place. The South Carolina factory can build 40,000 Sprinters annually and total global production peaked in 2017 with 200,000 units (only 134,000 in 2014) and the US is the second largest market, so seems like the US factory can produce 20-25% of global supply but now mostly only for American demand although that information is harder to find. Here is some good info.

JIB

Just as a tiny data point, i haven't seen any in my neck of the Seattle "woods".

What we *do* have is the fleet of private cars full of Amazon packages ... the "Amazon Flex" fleet: https://flex.amazon.com/

Amazon offers "same day, frequently within 2 hours" around here...

--dick (not a "Prime" customer)
I've been seeing them on the south end.

Jack
Covington, WA

dynaco1

I haven't seen a single grey 2019 PRIME van driving anywhere. I see plenty of transits with third party decals.

Been in Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Illinois, Nebraska in last 30 days. I was in Ottumwa Iowa yesterday. OMG; four candidates there at same time. Avoiding Iowa if possible......politics. Lots of television news vans but zero Sprinters.

Last edited:

gchapell

Saw a Prime Transit in Ft.Myers, FL last week. Thought they were all supposed to be sprinters. Maybe they can't get enough soon enough?

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Saw a Prime Transit in Ft.Myers, FL last week. Thought they were all supposed to be sprinters. Maybe they can't get enough soon enough?
In Maryland, DC and Northern Virginia I've seen many Prime ProMaster vans. Amazon has obviously made deals with all three USA van builders. This video by Mike and Jennifer Wendland (RV Lifestyle) talks about how the REV Group in Elkhart has all the Sprinters they need because they are willing to pay a little extra. Their lot has several Prime colored Sprinters, they pay Mercedes more than Amazon so they get the vans. Free markets in action!
https://youtu.be/rGKFsNzDjWs

Top Bottom