MOAB Adventure Wagon Bed Install and short review

JPsVantage

I appreciate the quick reply. I also appreciate your offer , that it would be cheaper.
New Question: I'm not sure where to find installers or van builders here on East Coast. I'm in central New Jersey. I'm either looking in wrong place or just not a lot around here.
Any recommendations or suggestions for van outfitters here/near Jersey?
Thanks

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
I appreciate the quick reply. I also appreciate your offer , that it would be cheaper.
New Question: I'm not sure where to find installers or van builders here on East Coast. I'm in central New Jersey. I'm either looking in wrong place or just not a lot around here.
Any recommendations or suggestions for van outfitters here/near Jersey?
Thanks
Contact ADWAG...its not hard to do yourself if you have the tools to to the Adwag mount for lower you for the most part need to go to a custom car fabricator or welder used to modifying cars; pretty simple for the most part for a competent fabricator.

JPsVantage

Thanks!, Sorry for the delay. I got crazy busy at work and put van build on hold; looking for custom car places now.

Has any one ever suggested a specific Adventure Wagon section under conversions? I have been waiting a few weeks on their 2.0 kit for my VS30. I am looking for as much info as possible of the install. The youtube vids are great BUT I am looking for even more than that. I actually wish Adventure Wagon would create a forum by model year.....that would be awesome.

wquek

Work in progress
Has any one ever suggested a specific Adventure Wagon section under conversions? I have been waiting a few weeks on their 2.0 kit for my VS30. I am looking for as much info as possible of the install. The youtube vids are great BUT I am looking for even more than that. I actually wish Adventure Wagon would create a forum by model year.....that would be awesome.

Is the V2 kit available yet? And if so, what is the lead time now? Thanks because I am looking to order the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
They offer "install" trainings now and then at their shop...I am sure someone has posted their experience? There are other threads and videos from people. There is always a learning curve even with videos. Back in the day we only had magazine articles with just a few pics on how to do something. Its part of the learning experience. You will likely mess up a few things for sure that won't be perfect, its part of the learning process and the fun. Practice makes perfect as they say. Give them a call...that's what they are for its there product. Maybe you can post some videos and pics you can be that person who does this, It will make you appreciate all the work others do to post helpful information rather than just ask for answers. (Yes its a HUGE amount of work to do this...makes you appreciate anyone who takes the time to post anything helpful) If your not comfortable with tools this is not a kit I would install...you have to put a lot of holes in your van for a full kit and its likely some of those might be a bit off and you will need to be creative to fix the problem - but you are saving a small fortune. Expect the build time to easily be 2-3 times longer than they state for sure.

BigDC

Is the V2 kit available yet? And if so, what is the lead time now? Thanks because I am looking to order the same.

V2 kit isn’t quite available yet (at least for the 170). I’m in a similar boat to Familytruckster awaiting it to be ready. I am told that they are finalizing some of the details and working on new installation documentation. I would rather them figure it all out then rush them to send out the Kit prematurely

Crujones568

V2 kit isn’t quite available yet (at least for the 170). I’m in a similar boat to Familytruckster awaiting it to be ready. I am told that they are finalizing some of the details and working on new installation documentation. I would rather them figure it all out then rush them to send out the Kit prematurely
What is V2? They coming out with a updated MOAB bed version?

Thanks

wquek

Work in progress
From what has been shown, they move the rear wall bracer closer to the rear door, allowing it to create more usable room with flarespace bumpouts. Also, it goes down lower towards the wheel well. Looks like there is more bracing as well along the wall, front to back. MOAB will remain the same as far as I know.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1hqRA2hVU5/?igshid=v13dm3b3lk6s

BigDC

The V2 reworks some of the wall bracers and has vertical L track go all the way to the floor. This will give more adjustment to the MOAB bed. They’re starting to ship V2 170” kits now.

InspiredVan

The V2 reworks some of the wall bracers and has vertical L track go all the way to the floor. This will give more adjustment to the MOAB bed. They’re starting to ship V2 170” kits now.
There is a lot more than the greater MOAB bed adjustability going on in their V2.0 kit - we installed 1 of the very 1st 170 kits last month - there is a lot more internal brace work, even better/more accurate L-Track alignment incorporating Factory predrilled hole locations and an additional L-Track run up top with an integrated wire chase for the Factory wire harness/speaker wires etc...

It is Hands Down one of the most well engineered backbones for your camper van buildout regardless of what you ultimately end up speccing it out with cabinets/galley's etc....

croakz

No modification of trim is needed on the passenger van. Do not remove the trim...its a big mess if you do, its glued on with double sided tape and does not remove easily.
I know this is an old thread but how did you attach the rails over the passenger trim? Did you have to get longer rivets, rivnuts, screws, and bolts? Thanks.

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
No I used the same hardware; but it helps a lot to have professional grade rivet and riv-nut gun to get things really tight. I have done well over 50 of these bed installs and using air tools for the riv-nut helped to get perfect compressed settings. With a hand tool in comparison I had in some cases redo the riv-nut at first, but still worked.

croakz

No I used the same hardware; but it helps a lot to have professional grade rivet and riv-nut gun to get things really tight. I have done well over 50 of these bed installs and using air tools for the riv-nut helped to get perfect compressed settings. With a hand tool in comparison I had in some cases redo the riv-nut at first, but still worked.
Cool, thanks. Any recommendations for some riv-nut air tools?

CheckMax

Slamit,

Thank you for all your posts, advice and insights on these various mods. I have a 4x4 passenger and you have given me some ideas (and hope) that reasonable mods can be done at reasonable effort and cost. Have you been able to mount the MOAB somehow without blocking the rear window in the 144 and keep stock panels? AW website offers V3 for 144 but states the stock trim cannot be used. I cannot tell what part they are referring (I will call them). Can some part of it be cut around? It is pricey as you note and you do get what you pay for. I wonder whether an 8020 frame can be mocked up somehow and attached to their vertical L tracks?

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
V2 kit on passenger van would be very difficult as you cannot line up the braces very easily; can't see the alignment holes at all. I do passenger vans all the time. You only have a small brace over the window, the bigger issue is ventilation if you have a VS30 with AC in rear...I figured out a modification to allow ventilated window (AMA) and use their braces by notching them...provide this service for $300; not painted. You have to do this as the fan can only be put in front of the van not the back. You can see the brace is no big deal visually. I am not an authorized dealer anymore, but I do have more experience with this stuff than anyone in So Cal...this year alone 25 beds...60+ mule bags in stock OEM interiors.

interior Mule Bags and Adwag bed.jpgnotch7.jpg

81duck

Unfortunately, the mounting system/bracer for the MOAB interferes with the sliding windows on a 170, so it's the bed or the windows! I guess I'll be looking for a new bed system.
I'm pretty sure they came up with a "version 2" of their system that allows you to have bunk windows. At least that's what they told me when I was investigating. I ended up going a different route after my upfitter replaced one. The owner indicated that compressing the bed to remove was not nearly as simple as described.

CheckMax

Thanks for the photos. Very clean work. Your photos show less intrusion than AW’s. Did you paint the braces black? I have a 2015 psgr with factory AC. I think I can fit the mule bags like you did behind the AC. I am not sure how best to line up the headliner with the track. I think the solution is flanged track and cut / fit the headliner to it. Did you just bolt the track to the rib or through bolt a bracket through the rib and then bolt track to bracket? Chad in his AW video warns against too much weight pulling the track out of the rib. I don’t know what is too much weight - I am not putting bricks in there. Last
Y, where did you sort the seats and did you have to fab floor mounts?
...too bad you’re not in Hawaii

slamit

www.cacampervan.com
Mule bags won't fit next to AC, instead I use Campo Bags in that positon...look at my other threads...you will find them helpful. I don't post any how to stuff, sorry but they will give you an idea of what you can do however. The seats I sell, they bolt directly in factory floor mounts, but being in Hawaii...it would be a fortune to send them as you already know...they are expensive to ship here on the Mainland as well.

Top Bottom