Winterizing

NewfD90

Having just purchased our 2006 this summer, I'm going into our first winter and was wondering what others in freezing climates do to winterize their G24. I'll continue to drive it in the winter, but it will be parked outside.

I'd like to avoid filling the water lines with antifreeze and was wondering if the following was sufficient:

1) Drain grey and black tanks
2) Open the 3 low point valves under the refrigerator
3) Open all taps
4) Blow compressed air (<=40psi) in through the city water connection
5) Remove both inlet and outlet pipes on the pump
6) Anti-freeze in the sink and shower traps

What do you all do?

Thanks!
Chance

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
That will work fine. I NEVER put that pink stuff in my potable water system. No reason whatsoever.

One more thing:
Take any easily-removable water fixtures, such as shower wands, etc. into the house for the winter. Also the Keurig if you have one.

NewfD90

That will work fine. I NEVER put that pink stuff in my potable water system. No reason whatsoever.

One more thing:
Take any easily-removable water fixtures, such as shower wands, etc. into the house for the winter. Also the Keurig if you have one.
Thanks for the confirmation! I didn't want to put that pink stuff in the system if I could avoid it, but the previous owner would winterize that way...

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
One little add - my water pumps have always had a small screen (filter) in a cup just at the inlet - remove and empty the cup, reinstall. I froze one once and cracked it - even after I blew air through the system.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
One little add - my water pumps have always had a small screen (filter) in a cup just at the inlet - remove and empty the cup, reinstall. I froze one once and cracked it - even after I blew air through the system.
Forgot about that. I broke one of those once, too. I leave the cup off for the winter. It is not impossible for residual water to slowly drain down into it during storage, even after a good blow-out. It is a particularly vulnerable spot.

Rock Doc

One additional thing I like to do with my Pleasureway, is after running the pink stuff through the system I then use low pressure (30 psi) compressed air to blow out the water system again so there’s less of the pink stuff in the pipes/tubes. That way, I’m mostly air in the system, but the tiny bit of fluid remaining is the pink antifreeze. Less risk of the aftertaste in the spring. (And I dump the rest of the 2 gallons of pink stuff I use down the drains to protect the P-traps, the black and gray tanks, and the waste tank drain valves.)

Rock Doc
2014 Pleasureway Plateau TS in 2013 Sprinter 3500

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
The G24 has a flow through tankless water heater, so a non-issue there.
I cracked my water heater last fall, didst get the water out soon enough and didst do a proper job of it.

Did the compressed air thing yesterday,....after two surprise freeze alerts in south Texas. Hope i caught it in time and that the compressed air procedure is enough.

Brian

Top Bottom