Radio Wiring Harness

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I am not seeing a factory wiring harness in my 2005 converted FedEx van. Did all of the TN1s come with a harness? The aftermarket radio that came installed is using 12V constant right now, so it stays powered on unless I push the power button on it. Will eventually drain the battery.

My factory backup cam is wired to come on with ACC switched power.

Where can I find the factory harness or tap into an ACC 12V ignition switched power?

I looked for a black/red wire and did fine one alongside the driver side pillar panel. Not sure if this is the (ACC 12V) I can tap into or if I even want to.

Alternatively, I was thinking about wiring in 12V toggle switch in place of an ACC switched power.

Any help is appreciated.
The answer to many of those will be found on your "datacard"
Enter your VIN at https://www.datamb.com/ to produce the list of what MB put into *your* Sprinter.
(there's a "Get PDF" button) ... it's free.
Then troll down through the list of options.
If your van was built withOUT a radio, but WITH the "pre-wire", it will say so.
If it has neither Radio or pre-wire in the options list: you don't have them.

If your list has the "EK1 TERMINAL STRIP FOR ELECTRICAL CONNECTION" option, then you will find under the driver's seat ... on the side closest to the Parking brake handle, this:

The 2006 service manual (close enuf) is here: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2006-VA-SM.pdf
Wiring diagrams are section 8W, there's a subsection for the Radio.

--dick

opselite

Checked the data sheet and I do have the electrical connection block but that is it. No radio or harness.

Is the black / yellow wire my acc switched power?

How do I tap into that. Looks like a odd connector.

Corey

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Checked the data sheet and I do have the electrical connection block but that is it. No radio or harness.

Is the black / yellow wire my acc switched power?

How do I tap into that. Looks like a odd connector.
It's not a "connector", it's a threaded stud.
You can wrap a wire around it and tighten the nut ...
... or (more cleanly) use a "ring terminal" on the end of a wire.

RingTerms.jpg

Yes, the black/yellow is probably the wire to use ... but it is NOT the "Acc" circuit ... it's the "ignition on" circuit.
So it requires turning the key to "position 2" and living through a glow plug cycle.

There *is* a small subset of the Sprinter that reacts to the "acc" (position 1) of the key switch, but it's kind'a odd (i'll have to go dig it out). Part of it goes to the AC/Heat unit and/or the fan. It's very weird and not readily presented.

--dick

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I wrote: "it's weird".

Here's the service manual's page showing the ignition switch.
Notice that there is no "bank" of the switch that *only* turns on ACC.
The 2nd from the left bank uses position 1, but it's wired to activate that feed at position 0, too.
The 3rd from the left parallels it with positions 2 and 3.

IgnitionSwitch13.png

The service manual *does* have some errors, and this area may be one of them.
I wonder what turning the switch to (2) disables?

Adding to the fun, page 8w-10-31 shows the "turn signal relay output" also powering C1 pin 11 (the same one the ACC position theoretically feeds???)... or perhaps taking power from it?

--dick

Last edited:

opselite

Well my backup camera that came wired from the factory turns on with acc switched. There must be something to tap into.

What happens when the glow plugs activate? Power dip?

Should I just wire up a toggle switch? To act as a acc?

If I recall fuse block 15 isn't even wired up for me. No wires, no fuse.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
If I recall fuse block 15 isn't even wired up for me. No wires, no fuse.
On Fuse Block #1 (under the steering wheel) or the seat-side panels??
(which are Fuse Blocks 2 and 3 in "manual speak" (and the actual fuse numbers in the manual are fictitious ... you have to look at your panel's fuse list that's pasted inside the cover panel)).

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Well my backup camera that came wired from the factory turns on with acc switched. There must be something to tap into.
I'd certainly look into it ... it's a rare enough option that the wiring diagrams don't include it.
What happens when the glow plugs activate? Power dip?
Yes, for a minute or so (depending upon ambient and engine temperature) you're consuming about 65 amps.
Should I just wire up a toggle switch? To act as a acc?
That is another "easy" way .. it only requires remembering to flip it off when done.

The EK1 "batt" (always on) terminal is a good already-fused source for that.
There's a "trench" under the front floor mat that MB uses for their wire runs.

If you don't want to run from under the seat, the two power outlets on the dash (one obvious, the other in the ash tray) are each separately fused.

--dick

opselite

Got it all wired up. Works great. Could find my Dremel so used some glue to keep the switch in place.

Lamberton

I know this thread is ancient, but it's still 3rd Google result for 2006 Sprinter radio wiring harness. The Front Right polarity is reversed in the main post. The BR/RD is Front Right + and BK is Front Right -.

It didn't make any sense to me that the solid color wires between left and right wouldn't be the same polarity, nor that the two positives wouldn't be physically side by side. (Same with the negatives). So I looked it up elsewhere and my suspicions were confirmed.

https://www.tehnomagazin.com/Auto-radio-car-connector/MERCEDES-Car-Radio-Wiring-Connector.htm

I was browsing this thread figuring out the layout for installing a radio in a friend's car and ended up making a google spreadsheet with the wires and things.

Free to comment. I can add you as an editor if you want to add your specific radio's pinout/infos.

Cheers

koenb

Just installed a new head unit and figured I'd share this info here for future use.
My van only had the 2 factory speakers in the dash. I added two more speakers in the headliner. For simple wiring I connected the new speakers wires to the factory radio connector plug. It can be done by using connector pins mopar PN 51038882AA 5103882AA , these are the same pins used in the connectors for the OEM switches. Then when using a harness adapter plug (Metra 70-1784 ), it's all plug and play with the rear speaker wires for the new head unit.

Last edited by a moderator:

TD Walker

Just installed a new head unit and figured I'd share this info here for future use.
My van only had the 2 factory speakers in the dash. I added two more speakers in the headliner. For simple wiring I connected the new speakers wires to the factory radio connector plug. It can be done by using connector pins mopar PN 51038882AA, these are the same pins used in the connectors for the OEM switches. Then when using a harness adapter plug (Metra 70-1784 ), it's all plug and play with the rear speaker wires for the new head unit.
Thanks for the post, It's got me going in the right direction. I can't seem to locate the Mopar pins. Part number not coming up anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

TD Walker

I was browsing this thread figuring out the layout for installing a radio in a friend's car and ended up making a google spreadsheet with the wires and things.

Free to comment. I can add you as an editor if you want to add your specific radio's pinout/infos.

Cheers
Nice work!

RedLens

My van only had the 2 factory speakers in the dash. I added two more speakers in the headliner. For simple wiring I connected the new speakers wires to the factory radio connector plug. It can be done by using connector pins mopar PN 51038882AA, these are the same pins used in the connectors for the OEM switches. Then when using a harness adapter plug (Metra 70-1784 ), it's all plug and play with the rear speaker wires for the new head unit.

I purchased the Metra 70-1784 but noticed its missing the A1 & A2 wires aside from extra they give for the antenna. Do you by chance know iif this can this be wired up leaving those out as the new steroes harness doesn't include wires for those.

I purchased the Metra 70-1784 but noticed its missing the A1 & A2 wires aside from extra they give for the antenna. Do you by chance know iif this can this be wired up leaving those out as the new steroes harness doesn't include wires for those.
I can't answer your questions.

If there are other spare unneeded wires/pins I have had some success using a needle or other small tool to release the connector pins for removal. If you can release/remove the pins then the spare wire/pin assembly can be moved to where needed.

If you do swap a wire color over to where it doesn't belong i would add a label for future reference. A tab of masking tape isn't the best choice for longevity, but works.

vic

Law2500

2002 Freightliner 158"
Hi guys just wanted to share my experience. I just installed a stereo in my van, I used the 03 wiring diagram and ever thing matched up perfectly. My stero also has a back up camera so the instructions said to connect the camera red 12v power lead to the reverse bulb so I did so and everything seemed to be fine but after 2wks the picture stopped showing when the van was put into reverse.
So after troubleshooting it i soon determined that connecting the camera to the white wire with red strip had caused a short in the shifter module, it even caused a DTC. I removed the camera 12v wire and put it on a toggle switch. Just thought I would share.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
So after troubleshooting it i soon determined that connecting the camera to the white wire with red strip had caused a short in the shifter module, it even caused a DTC. I removed the camera 12v wire and put it on a toggle switch.
Did it require replacing the shifter module?

--dick

Law2500

2002 Freightliner 158"
The code doesn't affect the operation of the module or the transmission. I plan to remove the module and see if there is a visible short and if so repair it if not I will replace it.

Top Bottom