CAUTION FOR ALLOY WHEELS and Steel Spare

Greygost

ok. I’m comfounded. Have a 2016 3500 Sprinter, Jayco RV body, with 04 ea alum Hi Spec outers and 02 ea Oem steel wheels on inside dually. No spare came from Jayco. Im told the wheels are all interchangeable but now I’m led to believe that if I procure a steel wheel as a spare, I need a different length stud if flat occurs on outer rear aluminum wheel?

I don’t see any extra studs with the jack. I’m researching stud lengths and coming up with anything from 14.5 mm x 38mm long to 63mm long (again assuming I’m using a steel wheel as a spare)

What length do I order? Appreciate guidance.

Last edited:

Troubleboy

ok. I’m comfounded. Have a 2016 3500 Sprinter, Jayco RV body, with 04 ea alum Hi Spec outers and 02 ea Oem steel wheels on inside dually. No spare came from Jayco. Im told the wheels are all interchangeable but now I’m led to believe that if I procure a steel wheel as a spare, I need a different length stud if flat occurs on outer rear aluminum wheel?
Do you have lug bolts or nuts under the lug covers on your 3500? I'm wondering because I just picked up a set of Hi Spec wheels and the lug holes seem to be a larger diameter than the lug studs. I have lug nuts on my 2006 3500, and I'm wondering if I need to get something different to mount them.

Tried searching ,but again looking for specific info that's not jumping out at me. Just purchased a set of five 17in Method Standard 301 Wheels for my 2500 4x4 that is not even built yet. They were on Sale so I jumped on it. Plan is to take the factory steel wheels and spare off and sell them. Wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of Lug bolts for the Alloy Methods? Weird that something that seems basic doesn't just jump out of a google search . Happy Friday folks! Regards, Gary

Pneumo

Curious what the stock lug bolt length is for the steelies? I have an NVC3 with aftermarket alloy rims and this thread has just made me realize that my spare is useless. No bolts were provided by the previous owner and there are none in the tool kit.

Does the front end have the same issue? In a pinch could you swap the steel spare to the front and movery that aluminum to the rear?

sailquik

Greyghost,
You have a 5xx series NCV3 Sprinter that uses wheel studs and lug nuts to mount all your
hub centric wheels (both aluminum alloy aftermarket and steel OEM wheels) so you do not need
any extra hardware.
Just 24 of the lug nuts that screw onto the lug studs .
Mount your front wheels with the offset outboard and mount your rear duals with the inner wheel
offset inboard an outer wheel offset outboard.
If you could get 3 more of the alloy wheels, you could make all your wheels alloys and then you could
rotate your tires for a significant increase in tire mileage.
Hope this helps,
Roger
P.S. 3500 (5 series) Sprinter wheels are "all position" and can be installed with the offset inboard or
outboard, single mounted inboard on the front steer axle and dual mounted inner inboard and outer outboard
on your rear/drive axle, with universal lug nuts.

sailquik

Correction
Greyghost,
You have a 5xx series NCV3 Sprinter that uses wheel studs and lug nuts to mount all your
hub centric wheels (both aluminum alloy aftermarket and steel OEM wheels) so you do not need
any extra hardware.
Just 24 of the lug nuts that screw onto the lug studs .
Mount your front wheels with the offset outboard inboard and mount your rear dual wheels with the inner wheel
offset inboard an outer wheel offset outboard.
If you could get 3 more of the alloy wheels, you could make all your wheels alloys and then you could
rotate your tires for a significant increase in tire mileage.
Hope this helps,
Roger
P.S. 3500 (5 series) Sprinter wheels are "all position" and can be installed with the offset inboard or
outboard, single mounted inboard on the front steer axle and dual mounted inner inboard and outer outboard
on your rear/drive axle, with universal lug nuts.

Top Bottom