Transmission repair suggestions

Shd-b-riding

After finding remnants of a bearing in the trans pan during a fluid change I have been checking locally for repair costs.

Local independant shop that at one time had a pretty good reputation gave an over the phone estimate.
$2800-$3800 to rebuild.
$4800 for a jasper rebuilt installed.

The chain-store trans shops around me have horrible reviews so I will avoid those.

Silverstar website states $2500+shipping.

Rock auto has Transmission Authority rebuilt trans for about $2400.

Anybody have experience with silverstar or transmission authority?

Can anyone suggest a quality trans shop in the southeast Pennsylvania area?

Thanks in advance.

Dougflas

DAD OWNER
You do know that there is a difference between a rebuilt and remanufactured, right? If you're installing this you most likely want a remanufactured unit. Also, the torque converter needs to be replaced and some flex plates should be replaced with the newer version. Do your homework.

And part of that homework is asking for advice from people that have already been through this situation.
That's true, but much of it is out there in more in detail than you might get by just asking questions.

I'll suggest a homework assignment. Use the advanced search from the blue bar above. Use Lindenengineering as member name. Use transmission Silverstar as search words.

That should give you a good start.

You don't mention model year. OEM rebuilds from MB are generally too expensive for most T1N owners to consider.

:cheers: vic

Last edited:

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
And don't be tempted to get yours rebuilt if you have lost one of the thrust bearings. It is a captive part on the clutch housing so you need to replace "hard parts" which gets expensive. A reman is probably your best bet.

gedupont

gedupont
Be mindful of Silver Star's Warranty. They do NOT pay for the labor to R&R if their transmission goes bad under Warranty. That's a $1,000 to pull and replace your old transmission and another $1,000 if the Silver Star transmission goes bad. My Silver Star didn't make it ten miles before it went bad.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Be mindful of Silver Star's Warranty. They do NOT pay for the labor to R&R if their transmission goes bad under Warranty. That's a $1,000 to pull and replace your old transmission and another $1,000 if the Silver Star transmission goes bad. My Silver Star didn't make it ten miles before it went bad.
This isn't normal for Silver Star. I have no affiliation with them, but I have had a number of experiences first and second hand, all excellent. Smooth shifting and long life.

Top Bottom