How much are you paying for insurance?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
If you join one of the caravan clubs, KenTame has very reasonable rates for camperized rigs. Not sure on the requirements to be classified as an RV/motorhome etc. We found them quite reasonable when we were visiting aus a couple years ago. About 1,000$ for a year. That included fire, major camper component failure, theft, and some secondary property. I also had windscreen, towing/breakdown coverage as well.

Last edited:
yeah even that was 3-400

I bought a new daily driver ~6months ago and it was only $800 for premium cover, on a ~$30k car, so its not like its an issue with me or where I live.

Banjo48

I'm insured with Ken Tame as I'm a member of the CMCA, I told them I'd bought the ambulance to convert to a 2 berth campervan, no problems at all they asked for photos as is and insured for my purchase price of $16k, for just under $400.

Said when conversion is done just send new photos of interior and they would adjust cover upwards to allow for new conversion.

As I've had a few health issues I'm still converting so looks like I will pay another year come August as a simple ex ambo. not got round to interior fitout yet, but finished new insulated floor and removed roof AC, filled all holes (welded up and sprayed). Two Maxxair hatches cut in.

I'm currently doing the internal roof now

yeah im not doing a conversion so thats not an option for me. I just wanted a cargo van to support my hobbies.

Hard to fit sheets of plywood into my suzuki swift. :P

ravens1705

I have just payed $1180 for full comp rating 1 and $900 excess on a 416CDI MWB 2017 . Need to do OT for my build now

PeterInSa

With Ken Tame/CMCA, I pay from memory an extra $20 a year and that holds me on Rating 1 even if I have an accident or 3.

Note that if your awning/annex is say 10 years old they do not do a new replacement you may have to pay say 20% of the new awning/annex cost. I think awnings are probably their highest cost outlay because motorhomers leave them up in high wind situations.

Kevin.Hutch

2011 Mercedes 313 906
My last in July 2018, was $956.62 for a $74,860 cover with $200 excess up from the previous year of $859.05 for $76,000.

kayakkingoz

I just have dash cam & third party insurance @about $160 per year. I cant see the sense in paying $1000 plus for comprehensive. Though it seems worth a look at this Ken Tame thing. Depends how much you trust your own driving I guess
For a 4 grand van I certainly wouldnt worry about comprehensive. Get a dash cam for $100 from supercheap

Last edited:

Kevin.Hutch

2011 Mercedes 313 906
I just have dash cam & third party insurance @about $160 per year. I cant see the sense in paying $1000 plus for comprehensive. Though it seems worth a look at this Ken Tame thing. Depends how much you trust your own driving I guess
For a 4 grand van I certainly wouldnt worry about comprehensive. Get a dash cam for $100 from supercheap
I would have to agree if your rig is only a $4,000 vehicle, realise comprehensive also gives you cover when involved with and uninsured other vehicle when you are deemed not at fault, plus the unfortunately common camper/motorhome/caravan damaged caused by fire. It also covers broken vehicle retrieval (subject to certain limits) and over 4 tonne is a quite expensive exercise.

The "Ken Tame thing" is the CMCA insurance cover, it is available to all CMCA members and is run by Ken Tame, currently underwritten by Alliance.

Top Bottom