3500 Alloy Wheel advise

Motosicko

I do like the black stock wheels on my 2017 3500 4×4, however, would like the option of upgrading to a nice alloy wheelset. Don't particularly like the Alcoa options. Found these at Tire Rack, that claim to fit, but are listed as 16"×6".
https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_ga...eelFinish=Black+w/Milled+Accent&subType=Front
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...&autoYear=2017&autoModClar=170+Inch+Wheelbase

Pretty sure that stock is 5.5" wide, and concerned with the notation, Important Note: Rear: Must reuse OE steel inner wheel. Wouldn't the difference in width change the tire profile/contact? Think I have answered my own question, but looking for some input from a tire pro.
Also if anyone has found other alloy options?

Last edited:

Psbuckley

Not a tire pro by any means, but... I wouldn’t think that 1/2” (9% increase) difference in width would change much of anything. Actually , from the centerline of the profile, each sidewall changes (outward) by 1/4”, and in the scheme of things, that’s not much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John E

I'll be interested to hear what you find out. I can't imagine the extra width makes a difference as long as the offset is correct. The tires are 8 1/2 - 9" wide.

Motosicko

I know the difference is pretty minute. My experience is in motorcycle rims/tires, and can tell a big difference in 1/2" with the handling and traction. Granted, a Sprinter tire is way larger, but there must be a change in the contact patch with 2 tires being that close together at the same air pressure. My biggest concern is the wear life of tires being reduced, and the need for more frequent rotations.

Bob Laps

Good find...I haven't put a ton of effort into looking for wheels but those are the first non Alcoa looking wheels I've seen for a 3500...curious on opinions about the wider rim giving the tire a smaller diameter...post some pics of ur van dude...I wish I coulda found a 4x4 when I got mine

Bob

sailquik

Guys,
If the specifications on the website are accurate, the front wheels have a significantly different offset that the rear wheels.
How is this going to work with the ABS/ASR/Traction control and systems like Crosswind assist that are calibrated for specific
wheel sizes and offsets?
Do let us know how it all comes out, and be absolutely sure to get the correct LUG NUTS that the wheel manufacturer specifies.
Roger

Bob Laps

Guys,
If the specifications on the website are accurate, the front wheels have a significantly different offset that the rear wheels.
How is this going to work with the ABS/ASR/Traction control and systems like Crosswind assist that are calibrated for specific
wheel sizes and offsets?
Do let us know how it all comes out, and be absolutely sure to get the correct LUG NUTS that the wheel manufacturer specifies.
Roger
Roger...I also noticed that and was thinking since offset is measured from the mating surface the 20mm difference might be the thickness of the rim....but I'm definitely no stranger to going totally wrong

Bob

Bob Laps

Sicko.. another option is to use Alcoa center caps and lug nut covers... here’s mine ... u can get all different kinds of emblems on eBay if the Alcoa bothers u... My buddy has to get some stuff powder coated in a few months and I plan on throwin my lugnut covers in with his stuff
IMG_6015.jpg
IMG_6016.jpg
IMG_6017.jpg

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motosicko

Good find...I haven't put a ton of effort into looking for wheels but those are the first non Alcoa looking wheels I've seen for a 3500...curious on opinions about the wider rim giving the tire a smaller diameter...post some pics of ur van dude...I wish I coulda found a 4x4 when I got mine

Bob
We lucked out when someone backed out of their order on it. Had everything + some of what we wanted. TouRig did a fantastic up-fit.

Attachments

hein

Van Guru
I have to replace our Michellin LTX M/S2 tires due to weather cracks (6 years old) and ordered a set of these wheels from Discount tire in Gresham, OR. Due to be in a few days so should have them on the van by early next week. Stoked to have an updated look for the van and I'll have a set of tired looking Alcoa wheels to sell.

All the best,
Hein

Motosicko

I have to replace our Michellin LTX M/S2 tires due to weather cracks (6 years old) and ordered a set of these wheels from Discount tire in Gresham, OR. Due to be in a few days so should have them on the van by early next week. Stoked to have an updated look for the van and I'll have a set of tired looking Alcoa wheels to sell.

All the best,
Hein
Please post pictures when you get them on.

hein

Van Guru

Do like the new look. Alcoa wheels up for sale.
All the best,
Hein

Last edited:

hein

Van Guru
They were good on the way home on I-84 but will probably have them balanced again to make them perfect. I have found that it is better to run them a while and then have them re-balanced. Discount tire will be happy to do it.

All the best,
Hein

Top Bottom