Alaska to Patagonia in a NCV3

Ed463

I think I'm missing something too.

The title is:
Alaska to Patagonia in a NCV3

Doesn't the title take you from North America to South America? It seems like a bit of a detour to include Spain, Italy, etc. That's some serious meandering.

:cheers: vic
:laughing::laughing:
The quickest and furthest off topic detour ever?:cheers:

In reply to Dennis. We have some friends, she's German, he's a Brit. They've spent the last 5 years driving just about every continent. They now seem to have settled down living in Mali for the summer (yep I know:idunno:) and Morocco for the winter:clapping:

The world's small and life's short:thumbup:

Sort of back on topic.
I liked the fact that people are out there in relatively new, emmision controlled Sprinters getting truly off the beaten track.
Tbh I've only skim read it but apart from some altitude sickness messing up the dpf and some shock absorbers it seems to have been pretty reliable.

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Well making a trip evokes many things not just a series of photies. --I wuz ere with white van in the background!

Places of interest and the history of the areas on the way with deviations of exploration.
Is it going off topic on your trip from say Alaska to Punta Arenas to say that a local search of where King Atahualpa was executed by Francisco de Pizzaro and committed genocide of the Inca peoples in the 16th century?
Possibly rummaging about in some local museum reading texts of the time?
Enrichment of knowledge perhaps.

The same can be said of in search of Alexander the Great!
Having spend years in the Baghdad evenings consuming books by ancient Greek/Persian Arab writers you conclude I must go there! See this see that !
A side trip then from Baghdad to Alexandria in a Landrover doing a project, meant a tip to El Alemein and the Commonwealth war graves, seeing the battle field where Montgomery defeated the Afrika Korps & Desert Fox Fox Rommel!
Of course much of Rommel's Mil Kit was abandoned in the Cattarah Depression but getting permission from the Egyptian Gov would be an expedition just by itself. A side trip perhaps !
My main objective was to get to Whaddie Siwa notable for the Auricle of Ammum /Siwa mentioned by Heroditus and forced marched there by Alexander in Arrain's writings.

Arrain wrote that two snakes led the way!
In my case these "two snakes" were the Egyptian Army desert patrol rogues who wanted wanted "backshish why-yed " for the permission to get there. :lol:

So to conclude a trip means much to those who participate in it and it hopefully its not like those hideous guided American tours to Europe of the 70's -Oh no! Not another cathedral/castle or its Thursday it must be Rome we are in!--lets have a photo!
Carry on trucking!
But stop & smell the coffee --if it has cardamom in it -its Arab! And you have detoured via Arabia, God in heaven! :thumbup:
Dennis

Last edited:

Ed463

Well making a trip evokes many things not just a series of photies. --I wuz ere with white van in the background!

Places of interest and the history of the areas on the way with deviations of exploration.
Is it going off topic on your trip from say Alaska to Punta Arenas to say that a local search of where King Atahualpa was executed by Francisco de Pizzaro and committed genocide of the Inca peoples in the 16th century?
Possibly rummaging about in some local museum reading texts of the time?
Enrichment of knowledge perhaps.

The same can be said of in search of Alexander the Great!
Having spend years in the Baghdad evenings consuming books by ancient Greek/Persian Arab writers you conclude I must go there! See this see that !
A side trip then from Baghdad to Alexandria in a Landrover doing a project, meant a tip to El Alemein and the Commonwealth war graves, seeing the battle field where Montgomery defeated the Afrika Korps & Desert Fox Fox Rommel!
Of course much of Rommel's Mil Kit was abandoned in the Cattarah Depression but getting permission from the Egyptian Gov would be an expedition just by itself. A side trip perhaps !
My main objective was to get to Whaddie Siwa notable for the Auricle of Ammum /Siwa mentioned by Heroditus and forced marched there by Alexander in Arrain's writings.

Arrain wrote that two snakes led the way!
In my case these "two snakes" were the Egyptian Army desert patrol rogues who wanted wanted "backshish why-yed " for the permission to get there. :lol:

So to conclude a trip means much to those who participate in it and it hopefully its not like those hideous guided American tours to Europe of the 70's -Oh no! Not another cathedral/castle or its Thursday it must be Rome we are in!--lets have a photo!
Carry on trucking!
But stop & smell the coffee --if it has cardamom in it -its Arab! And you have detoured via Arabia, God in heaven! :thumbup:
Dennis
We've been travelling since I told the sociopathic imbeciles (Yes I know that's a contradiction that shouldn't be possible, but I assure you such people exist:lol:) i worked for to shove their money. For the past 4 years or so we've lived and worked in Asia, Europe and Africa.
Attached below is a photo from our "office" from 2017 :tongue:
Anyway. A few observations:
With the odd exception it's not been the temples, ruins, cities that have stayed with us. It's the people. At times it's a real struggle to overcome the northern European/1st world suspicions. "Why is this person trying to talk to me? Why are they offering me tea? Why do they want me to follow them?
Get past that and wow:thumbup:
Apart from a "parking attenant" relieving us of €20 we've never been disappointed.
Long stay ex pats in motor homes are to be avoided at all cost. If you can't avoid them never share contact details.
Certain nationalities in motor homes should be avoided at all cost, they're very unhappy people.
Guide Books. Rough Guide and Lonely Planet. These are extremely useful for figuring out where NOT to go. The more effusive they are, the more you need to avoid the place.
Don't be an intellectual snob. If you pull up outside some ancient ruins and it's hot and busy and it looks like a pile of rocks. That's what it is. Move on and stop for a cool beer with the locals.
Don't plan.
Don't allow anyone to set you an itinary.
Don't have a bucket list.
Do pick up strangers. We had a genuine rocket scientist and his girlfriend in our camper on our last Moroccan trip:bounce:

Attachments

Last edited:

MsNomer

One afternoon in Diyarbakır, Turkey, deep in Kurdish territory near the Syrian border, MrNomer was trying to buy a cookie. A man approached and helped with the translation. That chance encounter led to an afternoon guided tour of the city including a visit to the community center where men sang folk songs to us—as well as they could, given they were still recovering from recent government tear gas. As we left, I said the only thing I knew in Kurdish, "Thank you." It was well received.

We were only a few miles from Aleppo and were tempted (2011), but we met several people who had had significant problems and delays getting back into Turkey and this was near the end of our trip.

Top Bottom