Assisting/Helping others

• Thread starter Deleted member 50714
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 50714

Several years ago, I was homeward bound, traveling south on highway 101 from Smith River California. It was about midnight or there about and some where near the Southern Operations Center for an Indian reservation, I cannot recall the name.

Ahead, I saw two figures standing on the shoulder waving their arms and I immediately began to slow down. As I got closer, it was two teenage girls with their arms extended and palms facing-out signaling for me to stop. As always I am armed. There is no cell phone service.

What would you do and why?

(Please, no juvenile, imature comments)

Last edited by a moderator:

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Interesting thread
I would stop past them (100ft) and let the situation unfold. Realized it may be a setup.

Several years ago, I was homeward bound, traveling south on highway 101 from Smith River California. It was about midnight or there about and some where near the Southern Operations Center for an Indian reservation, I cannot recall the name.

Ahead, I saw two figures standing on the shoulder waving their arms and I immediately began to slow down. As I got closer, it was two teenage girls with their arms extended and palms facing-out signaling for me to stop. As always I am armed. There is no cell phone service.

What would you do and why?

(Please, no juvenile, imature comments)
I would probably stop and find out what was going on, but I am trained and equipped to solve problems, so your mileage may vary.

D

Deleted member 50714

Here's an experience that took place about 15-years prior. While employed in aerospace working swing shift, 3:30 to midnight at Space Division.

Homeward bound and traveling east on Palmdale blvd, I come to a stop at a traffic light and noticed a young lady hitch hiking. Times were different back then, so I gave her a ride. Continuing on, I asked where she was going and she asked, "If I wanted to party at her house." This of course was "fishy" and I politely declined. Her attitude changed becoming agitated and said let her out at the next corner. Good bye.

About two-weeks later, I was reading the local rag about a man who had picked up a female hitch hiker on Palmdale Blvd who was invited him to her house to "party." One thing led to another and the man got undressed. Afterwards, a man came from another room with a pistola demanding his wallet and other personal items. The nude victim ran out of the house, pounded on the door of an adjacent house yelling, "call the police!!!" Police arrested the man and women. Same lady...skank? sounds like it to me. Moral of the story: Never pick up hitch hikers. Unless of course you want to take her to your house.

Da Nox

Last edited by a moderator:

bladerunner

Presume the other 99% would continue driving.
Suggest the way the world has spun in the last 25 years your presumption would be spot on.

And accordingly would you shame anyone for not stopping ?

And it would be interesting to see how TGT's training and equipment would cope after he had stopped and gone to talk to the two teenage girls and three males stepped out of the cover of darkness and confronted him with their legally entitled assault weapons ??

Here's an experience that took place about 15-years prior. While employed in aerospace working swing shift, 3:30 to midnight at Space Division.

Homeward bound and traveling east on Palmdale blvd, I come to a stop at a traffic light and noticed a young lady hitch hiking. Times were different back then, so I gave her a ride. Continuing on, I asked where she was going and she asked, "If I wanted to party at her house." This of course was "fishy" and I politely declined. Her attitude changed becoming agitated and said let her out at the next corner. Good bye.

About two-weeks later, I was reading the local rag about a man who had picked up a female hitch hiker on Palmdale Blvd who was invited him to her house to "party." One thing led to another and the man got undressed. Afterwards, a man came from another room with a pistola demanding his wallet and other personal items. The nude victim ran out of the house, pounded on the door of an adjacent house yelling, "call the police!!!" Police arrested the man and women. Same lady...skank? sounds like it to me. Moral of the story: Never pick up hitch hikers. Unless of course you want to take her to your house.

Da Nox
Yes- that's called a "Trick roll", although I seriously doubt that it occurred in the criminal's home.

Trick rolls are a very large part of prostitution.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131j0i10.1CzrbY61-Fc

Last edited:

CJPJ

Times have changed. Hitchhiking today is almost extinct . Undoubtedly nowadays best advise is don't pick up strangers. Agree if there are females they likely have males near. As for assault rifles hold ups: that happening is extreamly rare.
The 100ft of separation - Allows me some control of unfolding the exchange event.
:2cents: .. Yes its ill advised to pick up strangers.
Suggest the way the world has spun in the last 25 years your presumption would be spot on.

And it would be interesting to see how TGT's training and equipment would cope after he had stopped and gone to talk to the two teenage girls and three males stepped out of the cover of darkness and confronted him with their legally entitled assault weapons ??

Last edited:

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT

May GOD bless America!

bladerunner

Times have changed. Hitchhiking today is almost extinct . Undoubtedly nowadays best advise is don't pick up strangers. Agree if there are females they likely have males near. As for assault rifles hold ups: that happening is extreamly rare.
The 100ft of separation - Allows me some control of unfolding the exchange event.
:2cents: .. Yes its ill advised to pick up strangers.
:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post

OK, have to admit I was 'baiting' TGT with the assault rifle scenario but I doubt the picture would be any different if the assailants had one Gloch and two semi auto shotguns between them.

But hey as we saw, he failed to dazzle us with his macho bravado techniques on such a scenario.

:cheers:

bladerunner

:

May GOD bless America!
Time and time again it has been shown that such a supposed kind and loving entity is only in your imagination as you seek to touch the light of day!!

CJPJ

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
I would probably generously stop and ask them if everything was okay.

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
I'm not going to deal with the hypothetical. I'll just mention one incident I can recall. I was a college student. Pulled into a gas station to fill up my Pinto. (That should date things for y'all.) There were a couple of young ladies on the edge of the station struggling with a flat tire. While my tank was filling, I asked if they needed some help. They did. I changed the tire for them and they said thank you.

No guns. No prostitution. No robbery. Pretty boring, actually.

I mainly remember the incident because I had to write a short essay about helping people a couple of weeks later to keep from taking a remedial English class in college. This story saved me from that class.

bladerunner

:
OK, have to admit I was 'baiting' TGT with the assault rifle scenario but I doubt the picture would be any different if the assailants had one Gloch and two semi auto shotguns between them.

But hey as we saw, he failed to dazzle us with his macho bravado techniques on such a scenario.

You forgot to get the pizza and beer delivered to me before I watched how Hollywood shows me/us how its done. :frown:

bladerunner

I'm not going to deal with the hypothetical. I'll just mention one incident I can recall. I was a college student. Pulled into a gas station to fill up my Pinto. (That should date things for y'all.) There were a couple of young ladies on the edge of the station struggling with a flat tire. While my tank was filling, I asked if they needed some help. They did. I changed the tire for them and they said thank you.

Yep.............the 'good old days'..............I did mention 'in the last 25 years' and the Pinto takes it even further back............to between 1971 and 1980.

No guns. No prostitution. No robbery. Pretty boring, actually.

So now you are into guns, prostitution and robbery?? :dripsarcasm:

I mainly remember the incident because I had to write a short essay about helping people a couple of weeks later to keep from taking a remedial English class in college. This story saved me from that class.
A silver lining ^^^ in the cloud!:smirk:

Times and technology have changed.

You can help people without stopping and making contact. Per CJPJ, drive some distance away and get an exact coordinate eg. - cross street, milepost, etc. Call 911 and report what you see. Some may claim that you didn't do enough, but you did what you can without endangering yourself and those with you.

That said, not long ago we were on a desolate stretch of divided highway in Colorado. We came upon a pickup truck on the side of the road with the hood up. Ignoring the protests of my wife, I stopped and walked back to see if I could be any help. (I carry lots of tools.) They were on cell phones and said they were ok. In retrospect it may not have been best to stop, but I'm still living in the past.

:cheers: vic

bladerunner

Times and technology have changed.

You can help people without stopping and making contact. Per CJPJ, drive some distance away and get an exact coordinate eg. - cross street, milepost, etc. *Call 911 and report what you see. Some may claim that you didn't do enough, but you did what you can without endangering yourself and those with you.

That said, not long ago we were on a desolate stretch of divided highway in Colorado. We came upon a pickup truck on the side of the road with the hood up. Ignoring the protests of my wife, I stopped and walked back to see if I could be any help. (I carry lots of tools.) They were on cell phones and said they were ok. In retrospect it may not have been best to stop, **but I'm still living in the past.

:cheers: vic
*Bob did state in his OP that there was no cell reception in his incident.

**And now still in the present.:smilewink:

Top Bottom