4x4 - is it really needed?

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
You don't need 4x4 to get to places you see cars at.

If you want to venture into areas you don't see cars, you'll want 4x4. To think that the spectrum here goes from RWD to Unimog with no middle ground is hilarious. But, it's not unexpected to think that Grand Tour would bring in portal axles into a conversation where he's also thought a GTR and trophy trucks were relevant comparisons.

ENMeyer

Well, exactly. Parking lots of ski areas. I didn't say that, now did I. I am talking about hard to access back country skiing where the plow trucks rarely venture.
You said "my favorite ski spots in winter". Those include mostly area skiing, but I digress.

The point of this thread is.... "is 4x4 really needed?". The answer is "no". It's not needed for many or most of us. Even those of us that regularly venture into the mountains during winter.

Want vs. Need.

Colorado Mountain Express runs a shuttle from Vail and other mountain towns to DIA airport in Denver and must rack up millions of miles per year in their fleet of 2WD Sprinters. I think most people would think that CMExpress would need 4x4, but they don't. They drive every single day, rain/snow/sleet or hail. Majority of miles in the winter.

IdleUp

You don't need 4x4 to get to places you see cars at.

If you want to venture into areas you don't see cars, you'll want 4x4. To think that the spectrum here goes from RWD to Unimog with no middle ground is hilarious. But, it's not unexpected to think that Grand Tour would bring in portal axles into a conversation where he's also thought a GTR and trophy trucks were relevant comparisons.

Thanks for the reply - This 4x4 thread is really entertaining and might actually be the only thread worldwide where the the absolute worst traction method of rear wheel drive is now found by a few guys here to be better than four wheel drive!

Regards Mike

ENMeyer

Thanks for the reply - This 4x4 thread is really entertaining and might actually be the only thread worldwide where the the absolute worst traction method of rear wheel drive is now found by a few guys here to be better than four wheel drive!

Regards Mike
Nobody said 2WD is "better", but it can be a choice for some. Better fuel economy, less complicated, and less expensive.

The vast majority of people living in the snow belt think they need 4x4 to get around, while many of us driving 2WD vans and cars still somehow manage to rack up thousands and thousands of miles in the snow.

Nobody said 2WD is "better", but it can be a choice for some. Better fuel economy, less complicated, and less expensive.

The vast majority of people living in the snow belt think they need 4x4 to get around, while many of us driving 2WD vans and cars still somehow manage to rack up thousands and thousands of miles in the snow.
Yup.

Heck, a lot of people think they need four wheel drive to go to the mall.

Four wheel drive is never a replacement for knowing how to drive.

CappyJax

You said "my favorite ski spots in winter". Those include mostly area skiing, but I digress.
No dude. I haven't bought a lift ticket in years. My skiing doesn't include mostly ski areas. In fact, it hardly ever includes ski areas. Stop being pompous and telling other people what they need and don't need.

ENMeyer

If you have to ask "Is 4x4 worth it?" then it probably isn't. If you know that without 4 wheel drive you won't be able to get to your favorite ski spots in winter, etc. then yes, it is worth it.
Yo Cappy.... I SWEAR that you posted something about "your" favorite ski areas, which means "my" favorite areas.

Maybe I'm wrong, but please re-read the quote above and correct me, if so. English is my first language, but hey.... I've been know to butcher it from time to time.

For the record, buy whatever the heck you want to buy. I don't care. See you at the trailhead.

CappyJax

Yo Cappy.... I SWEAR that you posted something about "your" favorite ski areas, which means "my" favorite areas.

Maybe I'm wrong, but please re-read the quote above and correct me, if so. English is my first language, but hey.... I've been know to butcher it from time to time.

For the record, buy whatever the heck you want to buy. I don't care. See you at the trailhead.
Good for you if YOUR favorite ski areas don't require 4 wheel drive. That is not always the case. What works for YOU doesn't work for everyone.

BHamB

I like my 4x4 Sprinter in the winter and the summer. I have zero regrets buying 4x4. It is more of a convenience than a necessity most of the time, chaining up in bad weather is not my idea of fun. I have been in a few situations where I tried to get thru, up or around something in 2wd and could not. Having the option of 4x4 is...the easy button.

Davydd

I don't ski anymore. Not even cross country ever since going downhill, even in a gentle slope, I fell down. :smilewink:

So I guess I am in the market for a 2WD.

lofty whiteley

lofty whiteley
For use in snow 2 wheel drive bus with snow tyres works well.I've seen many 4x4 being towed or pushed out the car parks at ski stations.Drive without grip don't make sense to me.Why do some spend the money and drag the extra weight around just to spin 4 wheels?It's GRIP that counts.

ENMeyer

For use in snow 2 wheel drive bus with snow tyres works well.I've seen many 4x4 being towed or pushed out the car parks at ski stations.Drive without grip don't make sense to me.Why do some spend the money and drag the extra weight around just to spin 4 wheels?It's GRIP that counts.
We were up at Eldora skiing two years ago, and parked next to a Porsche C4S. I chatted the guy up, as I thought it was cool that he drove that car every day in the winter. We were loading up to leave, and he tries to drive away, but starts to sink down deeper in the snow as all 4 tires were spinning.

I offered a tow strap and tow eye (Sprinter and Porsche use same threaded tow eyes), and told him I may not be able to pull him out, as I only have 2WD. 3 minutes later, I pulled him out, and he was on his way.

Nokian snow tires for the win!

We were up at Eldora skiing two years ago, and parked next to a Porsche C4S. I chatted the guy up, as I thought it was cool that he drove that car every day in the winter. We were loading up to leave, and he tries to drive away, but starts to sink down deeper in the snow as all 4 tires were spinning.

I offered a tow strap and tow eye (Sprinter and Porsche use same threaded tow eyes), and told him I may not be able to pull him out, as I only have 2WD. 3 minutes later, I pulled him out, and he was on his way.

Nokian snow tires for the win!
He must have had summer tires on it. Even two wheel drive Porsches do pretty well in the snow when they're on winter tires.

We were advised by both Porsche and BMW that European deliveries scheduled during winter may require winter tires. They offered to set us up with winter tires to use while we were there, but we didn't want to have to use winter tires at all, so we scheduled ours outside of that window. For my wife's BMW, we scheduled our European delivery to coincide with Oktoberfest in Munich, which actually starts late in September.

From BMW's European Delivery web page:

From October 15th until April 15th, when driving conditions are dangerous due to ice or snow, vehicles must be equipped with All Season tires (also called ‘M+S tires’).
https://www.bmwusa.com/european-delivery.html

JIB

All Season tires (also called ‘M+S tires’) are NOT Snow tires.

Jack

He must have had summer tires on it. Even two wheel drive Porsches do pretty well in the snow when they're on winter tires.

We were advised by both Porsche and BMW that European deliveries scheduled during winter may require winter tires. They offered to set us up with winter tires to use while we were there, but we didn't want to have to use winter tires at all, so we scheduled ours outside of that window. For my wife's BMW, we scheduled our European delivery to coincide with Oktoberfest in Munich, which actually starts late in September.

From BMW's European Delivery web page:

https://www.bmwusa.com/european-delivery.html

Top Bottom