Remote Control Damaged - How to Open Sky Light Window?

CaptnALinTiverton

xT1N Westfalia
Tat: You have to be more specific than that. There are Westy owners in FLA, maybe even close to you, who can let you use their remote for that. Are you familiar with the map of owners?

AL

CaptnALinTiverton

xT1N Westfalia
If you are traveling, look for Westy owners near your route, give them a call, they may even let you stay overnight. We have met many new friends this way.

AL

WestyTat

Thanks! I am in South Florida. So If anyone spending winter here with OEM remote - I appreciate if you contact me.
I have contacted few West owners in Florida, but out of luck.
Also, I have asked Logitech customer support how to "teach" Harmony remote without OEM remote. They are willing to help, but they need Pronto Hex codes for our remote.
I asked Dometic for those codes. And guess what - it is proprietary information, apparently. Thousands of brands that Harmony supports not proprietary, and Dometic is.
They offered though to purchase remote for mere 125 euros.
Right....
I think my other option would be to find non Westy RV owner with HEKI 4 plus skylight and working OEM remote.

Last edited:

CaptnALinTiverton

xT1N Westfalia
Alternatively you could send your Harmony remote to someone with its instructions so they could program it from the OEM remote. I would volunteer but will soon be headed to winter storage.

AL

WestyTat

Thank you all for offers and help! I successfully revived the remote by replacing IR diod (from donor TV remote) and re-soldering PCV main board from back side. Also reincerted microchip to it's base. And magically - it's working. So I am on to purchasing Universal Remote while OEM one is in working condition.
Thank you all!

WestyTat

UPDATE - while our OEM remote still works , as a backup, we got Harmony 665 universal remote. Was able to program it through software on PC and "learning" procedure with OEM remote.
Not as smooth as original remote , but it works!

WestyTat

After 2 years of working flawlessly our OEM remote got "broken" again :-( We carry programmed Harmony remote as a backup, so that saved the day for a while.
But we were able to fix the original remote (once again} by carefully removing microchip (the one in the middle with lettering), cleaning it with electronic cleaner and putting it back. The legs of the microchip were covered with oxidation. My guess it is because of harsh Florida winter environment :cool:
So if your remote does not work - don't give up on it just yet! Just make sure you carefully pry out the microchip little by little, alternating sides.

HTH

remote.jpgtools.jpg

grozier

The Barbie toothbrush is key.

I am a big fan of rechargeable batteries, but wonder if this application merits alkaline instead?

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
The Barbie toothbrush is key.

I am a big fan of rechargeable batteries, but wonder if this application merits alkaline instead?
Totally agree!

Note that the Rayovac in the photo are only 1.2 Volts not the more usual 1.5 Volts for an Alkaline.

Keith.

WestyTat

Hmm... Never had any battery issues. But will look into it. Thanks for the hint.
And yes, Barbie toothbrush is a must! :cool:

Top Bottom