need model of skylight on sprinter westfalia

nwadventure

hello,
I have a 2006 Airstream Sprinter Westfalia, with a cracked left upper window, cracked bathroom skylight and cracked large skylight(glazing panel). I do know its made by Seitz(Seitz is owned by Dometic). Does anyone know what models are the skylights and the upper side window?

minigoogoo

Based on the specific shape, I'm fairly certain that the upper side windows are proprietary to Westfalia, so you're probably going to AS or directly to Westfalia for those. I looked them up once on the Westfalia price sheet-- they were major $$$. I never followed up with AS, since it was more of a curiosity than a need at that point.

The center and bathroom skylights are more universal. I'm not confident enough to post the actual part numbers, you might find them on Euro Dometic or possibly the Reimo sites (go through Eurocampers for the Reimo stuff...). If I recall correctly, there was a manual opening version of the large skylight. I will consider trying to track one of these down if/when the electrics fail on mine.

My bathroom skylight was cracked when I purchased our Westy. I bought a used replacement from another owner who had fitted a Fantastic Fan in its place. I believe another member posted recently on the Yahoo group, looking to sell his OEM bathroom skylight. Take a look there and you might find a good deal.

Hope this helps.

minigoogoo

For the bathroom skylight, just look down a few posts-- see 'pscoop', that must be the used listing I was thinking of...

512Westy

Here is parts list from Dometic for the HEKI 4 skylight.
I have gotten a quote from Dometic but they will not sell an entire new unit, so am currently
talking to Eurocampers.com to facilitate buying one from Reimo.com in germany (they won't ship to US).
Reimo's listing is...
http://www.reimo.com/en/38079-heki_4_with_electrical_opening_system_creamy_white/
Eurocampers is getting me a price. Maybe they will cut us a deal if we buy together!

Airstream had priced the side windows at $365. Mine are cracked but not falling off so have not started working on finding a cheaper supplier yet.

Attachments

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Link describes honeycomb shade. Believe James Cook had honeycomb shades on top and top side roof windows, but maybe change to roller blinds for U.S. market for regulatory reasons? Honeycomb would be nicer.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Also, U.S. has stupid hold it down to close buttom rather than just push it once to close. Original rectangular remote was push onc. If ce and release to close. Then, new trapezoidal remote and circuit board was retrofitted. Retrofit circuit board was also to fix problem of weird signals telling skylight to open. So don't know if worldwide fix or just U.S. fix. If U.S. weird signals problem, may have issue with import

Would prefer manual skylight. Faster to open/close. Electric skylight was option on James Cook and standard on NAFTA our version. Don't really even need the skylight sidelights.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Looking at parts list pdf file, shows original remote and replacement remote (with retrofit). Changeover looks like 2005. But shows pleated shade.

512Westy

Hi Old West, I'm not familiar enough with the shades to know the difference. Can you elaborate on the differences and plus/minus between the two, pleated vs non-pleated? Thanks, David

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Have not seen in person the pleated shades, but guessing they just accordion close.
The NAFTA American version shades are just thin fabric on a roller. The roller has a spring inside which rolls up the shade. The cloth type shade roller in the skylight is prone to unwind and need to be removed and retensioned. The shade won't roll up/retract, and sometimes the shade is dangling all over. Also, there is only a thin small piece of plastic holding the roller in place.

So, still having not seen the pleated shades, figure they're better than roller shades.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Also, did you see other thread re power skylight and problem with string. Poster found identical skylight on a PLeasureWay. Might be another source.

512Westy

Yes, I did see that post. I contacted Pleasureway who informed me that I have to work through a dealer. I contacted Ron Hoover RV here in TX and although the gent I worked with was unfamiliar with our skylight, he began researching, discussing w/ Dometic and found there are 10 units in the US, but have to be bought by a manufacturer (not a dealer). To avoid customs issues (Pleasureway being Canadian) he talked to a buddy w/ Forest River who also use this skylight. I ordered one and will report on this once received. Will be interesting to see what actually arrives! Everyone in this process is so un-confident about model numbers, it's kind of crazy. All has to do w/ the Dometic model number's last 4 digits is "XXXX" and denotes the wall thickness, but no one has the key to what those 4 digit codes are! we used "2528". Ordered the whole unit for $916 + shipping, as I figured this will give me spare parts to work with.

512Westy

Old West,
Yours was a good tip! I found someone who could order from the factory and got one of the dometic units for $900. The plastic cover alone was $671. My old frame had gasket issues, some damage (minor rust) from the cracked skylite, and the bigger issue of the screen had been broken. So I opted for the whole new unit.
I finally found some free time to swap them out and here are some pics.

1. Inner frame removed revealing the retaining clips
2. New frame installed showing the new style blind, not honeycomb but pleated.
3. New from outside! All works now.

I've got the old skylite frame if anyone wants to buy for parts. The motor and mechanisms work fine.

Thanks for the tip, saved me a lot from the price quoted by Airstream.

Attachments

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Looks good. Like the pleated shades. Do you still have to hold the close button on remote continuously?
also,any photos on wood frame or what is supporting skylight

512Westy

Yes, the remote works the same - having to hold to close.
I agree, I think the pleated screen is an improvement.

512Westy

Also, there is an interior wooden frame at the opening edge, spanning the gap between the fiberglass shell, and the interior panel. It appeared to have once been glued but it had since delaminated. I didn't worry about this since the clips do a good job of securing the skylite frame and holding the assembly together. no pics that show the edge.

Riptide

Old West,
I've got the old skylite frame if anyone wants to buy for parts. The motor and mechanisms work fine.
I might be interested; I'm a spare parts junkie when it comes to my Westy, and besides, I still want to put in a manual switch, and lose the remote...

I'll PM you.

Pat

512Westy

I am cleaning out the basement and broke down my old frame for the dometic skylight. I salvaged the remaining parts. The circuit boards were already sent to someone.

Items removed and available are:

1. motor and 2 drive cables. one cable is rusted
2. right and left skylight opener arms. one has rust damage. wiring for the sensors attached and appear to be good shape.
3. rain sensor and cable. the cable plastic had hardened and cracked and i suspect wiring is damaged. but the cable plug would not pass through the plastic frame so i had to snap frame apart to remove cable. to re-use this, one would likely have to re-wire a new cable to the plug and circuit board. not impossible, but would take some soldering skills.
4. skylight hinge mechanisms.

the rust damage to the one side mechanism i think was due to that side was where the large crack in the skylight was and leaked.
The damage to the rain sensor i think was just due to sun/heat damage. that side was typically parked to the south so got a harder head/solar challenge.

If someone wants these, let me know and we can work something out

Attachments

Last edited:

Riptide

I've toyed with pulling out the Heki 4, and putting in the 3. I practically have to get up to the unit anyway to get the "remote" (not sure why it's called that) to work...

Only thing stopping me is that the hand crank is on the "front" edge of the unit, which might make it a hassle to close when the upper bunk is deployed.

Top Bottom