High roof sprinter with rack

This is a 144 with a Prime Design rack. The advantage is you can put the cross bars anywhere. I also have an AC and vent fan. The AC is the highest point by a few inches. Mach 8

Attachments

flyag1

Interested in that air dam up front?
Actually that air dam is causing some issues. I'm no engineer so everything I build is mostly based on a common since approach. Being a pilot and understanding the drag associated with flat surfaces I decided to try to direct the airflow over the top. So the dam was constructed with about a 3/16 gap between the dam and the top of the Sprinter. I knew going in there was a possibility of air lifting up the dam or worse the air flow could cause flutter. And sure enough the first time I took it for a test drive at about 80 MPH it did just that, I hit the brakes and it stopped immediately. I could slid the whole rack to the rear of the van and close the gap between the Sprinter and the Dam, but I suspect the rack would eventually rub the top of the sprinter. Especially knowing how much these vans flex.

Therefore I decided to try a layer of gray tape between the dam and Sprinter roof and this time no flutter. I've put about a 1,000 miles on the van with no issues since I sealed the air gap. Thanks to Amazon I now have a roll of rubber seal I'm going to install that should work equally as well as the ugly tape, I just need to get it installed.

Reagomyeggo

Alright, I’m seeing this might be a little late, but better late than never....

We wanted to have a Yakima/Thule roof box without blocking the inconveniently located solar panel from the previous owner. The RB roof rail system was already installed and we love it. https://rbcomponents.com/products/2007-sprinter-van-144-roof-rail-system-oem ......also, I’m not sure why they decided to drill holes in the roof instead of making brackets and installing the solar panel to the rails.......but that’s just my $0.10.....

It took a while to find the correct landing pads for our hopeful setup. Trial and error found that landing pad 1 (00221) is the perfect fit.

Next you need to purchase the correct towers, and it depends on your crossbar system. I had already purchased the Yakima 60” corebars (102599) at an REI garage sale...... therefore we needed the Yakima Skyline towers (8000148).

After that we finished it off with the Yakima Skybox 16 (8007178).

It was quicker to install then the amount of time it took us to research and find the correct landing pads! :thumbup::thumbup:

Below are some photos I think show the box and mounts well. Let me know if you want to see anything else.

Attachments

81duck

Really nice rack, but seems like an awful lot of expense to mount 3 solar panels. Do you put anything else up there? Seems like it would be hard to step over the solar panels with any gear in your hands?
Really nice rack, but seems like an awful lot of expense to mount 3 solar panels? Do you put anything else up there? Seems like it would be hard to step over the solar panels with any amount of gear in your hands?

Top Bottom