OEM Espar D5 (H12) Plumbing Mod

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
I currently have an Isotemp Spa 4 gallon marine water heater plumbed to my engine coolant system. I use the engine heat to provide for most of my hot water needs occasionally topping it off using the built-in 750 watt Isotemp electric heating element. I also have the H12 option which includes the Espar D5 hydronic heater. This diesel fueled heater is useful for providing hot water when camped or stationary for multiple days without significant sun to charge my batteries. The drawback to using the Espar D5 is that the heater has to heat the entire engine block which limits the heat transfer to the water heater.

Running the D5 for a 40 minute cycle typically raises my domestic hot water temperature approximately 20 degrees F. Multiple 40 minute cycles of the D5 are required in order to get hot water. The van ECU logic also limits operation of the D5 to three 40 minute cycles before I have to start the engine. This is to prevent excessive drain on the starter battery.

To improve the hot water heating efficiency of my Espar D5 I made some simple plumbing modifications to improve the heat transfer. The first mod was to put the Isotemp water heater and the HVAC heater core in series rather than in a parallel flow path. This placed the Isotemp upstream of the heater core and also doubled the flow of hot coolant thru the Isotemp. This resulted in a +10F improvement in heating the hot water. I was now seeing a 30F rise in the hot water temperature for the initial 40 minute run time of the D5. I tested this by simply pinching the hot coolant flow to the heater core closed, forcing all the coolant flow thru the Isotemp before returning to the engine and D5 Espar.

The second modification was simple but more involved than the first. It involved adding a bypass circuit that would allow some of the coolant to bypass the cold engine and return directly to the D5 heater. This was achieved by some minor plumbing reconfigurations and the addition of a heater flow valve. Here are the before and after flow paths for the heater system.

The heater flow valve is controlled by a 5 ft choke cable mounted below the driver’s side dash. The bypass plumbing line previously existed as the rear heater, now Isotemp, (H88) return line. It previously intercepted the heater plumbing coolant return downstream of the heater core. I shifted the return line over a few inches to an adjacent hot coolant line which was just upstream of the coolant electric recirculating pump thus bypassing the cold engine entirely.

My hope was that enough coolant would take the path of least resistance, the bypass, and return directly to the D5 and Isotemp. This would promote faster heating. My concern was if too much flow utilized the bypass line the limited coolant volume, no reservoir, could quickly overheat, tripping the D5. If this occurred I reasoned that the heater flow valve could be used to throttle the bypass flow. I was counting on enough coolant to pass thru the cold engine to limit the temperature rise.

Testing of the reconfigured system revealed no need to throttle the bypass flow. The result was another +10F gain in hot water temperature. Total heat gain by the Isotemp was now +40F compared with the initial +20F for a 40 minute cycle time.

Heater flow valve and reconfigured plumbing

Below is before and after at firewall on connection.

For this to work you will need at a minimum the H12 Espar D5 hydronic heater or a DIY equivalent. The H88 rear heater option makes the bypass and return line a simple mod. Lacking the H88 just requires a bit more heater hose. You will also need to override your ambient temperature sensor to operate your D5 above the 39F limit. This is detailed in this forum using a simple DPDT switch and a resistor (I use 15k=18F).

This modification also comes with minimal risk. Leaving the bypass open while operating the engine will just decrease the hot coolant flow to your domestic water heater. The engine coolant loop is not affected. I managed to make the modifications and only lose about 8-12 ounces of coolant using hose line clamps and some left over bourbon corks.

For the next few weeks I will be carefully inspecting the underside of my van for any coolant puddles.

Materials:
3 feet of 5/8” heater hose
Heater flow valve
3/4” Elbow in place of factory Tee
5/8” Tee to split heater core from bypass
Reuse factory Tee at firewall
Hose clamps
Beer optional

Total cost about $25.

I will try and post this on my build thread also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

VanGoSki

Would it be possible to use a 3-port valve that either routes the output of the heater/core to the engine OR directly to recirc pump? That way you don't get any leakage routed through the engine when it's off and you want to heat water? And for extra credit, make it electrically operated? Also, it seems like you have the problem in reverse when you are warming up the engine with the D5 in the winter in that the Isotemp is stealing your heat since it's always in the loop. That 4 gallons of water seems like it would be a big heat sink in the winter.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Would it be possible to use a 3-port valve that either routes the output of the heater/core to the engine OR directly to recirc pump? That way you don't get any leakage routed through the engine when it's off and you want to heat water? And for extra credit, make it electrically operated? Also, it seems like you have the problem in reverse when you are warming up the engine with the D5 in the winter in that the Isotemp is stealing your heat since it's always in the loop. That 4 gallons of water seems like it would be a big heat sink in the winter.

I purposely did not route 100% of the coolant flow back to the coolant pump/Espar D5 for fear that the Espar would overheat before the water heater reached temperature. The small volume of recirculated coolant would heat up faster than the heat exchanger in my Isotemp could remove the heat. My current mechanical flow valve can be used to limit the amount of recirculation. So far this has not been necessary. I may see if I can increase the percentage of recirculation by enlarging the flow path slightly.

Others have built self contained Isotemp/D5 water heating systems not tied to the engine. In each case a reservoir was required to keep the system from overheating. Too small a reservoir results in the Espar shutting down prematurely. I believe the Espar high temp limit is 167F on the input side.

I also did not want to completely block the coolant flow to the heater core and engine block.

I believe the 4 gallon water heater has minimal impact on how fast the engine heats up in cold weather. The heat exchanger in the Isotemp is not very efficient since it is likely a single pass exchanger. It theoretically should take just 2000 Btus to raise the 4 gallons of water 60 degrees F. The Espar outputs over 15,000 Btus/hour.

Last edited:

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
I'm thinking of doing a system like yours. Only instead of using the cylindrical heater under the van, I'm thinking of using the slimline model inside the van, in a wheel-arch cabinet. I have H12 and H88. Do you foresee any issues off-hand that might be problematic with this approach?

Here's a link to the heater.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/isot...KJccfHNgzSUdCtlmgfkaAlv_EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks.

Installing the heater inside the van should work. Be sure to plumb the pressure relief outside the van or at least have a drip pan should the relief drip. One advantage of putting the heater inside the van is better freeze protection. A disadvantage is the heater adds heat to the van interior in the summertime.

VanGoSki

Installing the heater inside the van should work. Be sure to plumb the pressure relief outside the van or at least have a drip pan should the relief drip. One advantage of putting the heater inside the van is better freeze protection. A disadvantage is the heater adds heat to the van interior in the summertime.
Thanks for the tip on the pressure relief. And yes, freeze protection was one reason I wanted the Isotherm inside the van. Another reason is that I'm not sure I can fit the cylindrical one under my 144. Plus I'm worried about hitting it on rocks at some of the places I want to take it.

Good point about the heat in the summer. Although I don't expect to have to run the heater all that much. And maybe I can add some extra insulation around it.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Another reason is that I'm not sure I can fit the cylindrical one under my 144. Plus I'm worried about hitting it on rocks at some of the places I want to take it.
The install location on my 170 is identical to the 144. @SprinterPaul installed the same Isotemp Spa 15 in the same location on his 144 van. Rocks will likely hit your gas tank and sheet metal long before they contact the Isotemp.

Even on my 170 interior space is precious so I mounted as much as possible under the van. I am about to replace my four AGM batteries with lithium. They are mounted below deck. I designed a space for up to 8 batteries in my rear cargo compartments but I don’t want to sacrifice that storage space if I can make the lithium batteries work on the exterior.

RTCuy

I currently have an Isotemp Spa 4 gallon marine water heater plumbed to my engine coolant system. I use the engine heat to provide for most of my hot water needs occasionally topping it off using the built-in 750 watt Isotemp electric heating element. I also have the H12 option which includes the Espar D5 hydronic heater. This diesel fueled heater is useful for provid........

This is very interesting, thanks for sharing!

I had a slightly different idea for my van, would you mind letting me know your thoughts?

So, I have the same Espar coolant heater to pre heat the engine block. For several reasons, money being one of them as I am way above my budget, I don´t want to spend more money on a Isotherm tank, so I was thinking on adding a plate heat exchanger at the output of the D5, and just circulate water on demand into to a dyi insulated tank inside the van when the Espar is working.

So basically, let the Espar system and circuit as it is, and just add the heat exchanger to heat the water I need for a short shower. I know this system would not be the most efficient or efective, but I like the idea of minimum modification to the current espar system layout. I also need very little hot water, and I need it "not cold" instead of hot.

Since we are at it, perhaps a stupid newbie question, but while the van is on and driving, does the coolant fluid always flows through the Espar heater even if the heater is off? or it is a completely independent parallel system to the coolant of the van?

Thabks again for sharing!

Greetings from Germany,

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4

I had a slightly different idea for my van, would you mind letting me know your thoughts?

So, I have the same Espar coolant heater to pre heat the engine block. For several reasons, money being one of them as I am way above my budget, I don´t want to spend more money on a Isotherm tank, so I was thinking on adding a plate heat exchanger at the output of the D5, and just circulate water on demand into to a dyi insulated tank inside the van when the Espar is working.

So basically, let the Espar system and circuit as it is, and just add the heat exchanger to heat the water I need for a short shower. I know this system would not be the most efficient or efective, but I like the idea of minimum modification to the current espar system layout. I also need very little hot water, and I need it "not cold" instead of hot.

Since we are at it, perhaps a stupid newbie question, but while the van is on and driving, does the coolant fluid always flows through the Espar heater even if the heater is off? or it is a completely independent parallel system to the coolant of the van?

Greetings from Germany,

Other forum members have done exactly as you propose. A search should reveal more details. Personally I think such a system could cost just as much as an Isotemp heater. It definitely would require more labor to install and I believe it would be a more complicated system since you now need an additional pump and controls. As you mention it also could be less efficient. The biggest benefit of the Isotemp is the engine heat provides hot water all the time, no waiting and little or no planning required. For me the Espar is a backup to the electric element which is a backup to the engine heat.

You mention keeping modifications of the factory system to a minimum. Your proposal requires two connections, in and out, to the factory Espar plumbing, the same as an Isotemp.

With the OEM Espar system the engine water pump is always pushing some coolant thru the Espar/HVAC circuit. Turning your HVAC thermostat to heat activates a small 12 volt coolant pump that will increase the flow thru the Espar/HVAC loop. The Espar uses this same 12 volt pump when the engine is off.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

VanGoSki

The install location on my 170 is identical to the 144. @SprinterPaul installed the same Isotemp Spa 15 in the same location on his 144 van. Rocks will likely hit your gas tank and sheet metal long before they contact the Isotemp.

Even on my 170 interior space is precious so I mounted as much as possible under the van. I am about to replace my four AGM batteries with lithium. They are mounted below deck. I designed a space for up to 8 batteries in my rear cargo compartments but I don’t want to sacrifice that storage space if I can make the lithium batteries work on the exterior.
Dang, that's pretty compelling information. I was assuming I would use both wheel well arch cabinets for storing the water and electrical systems arranged with weight distribution in mind. Then my D2 heater can keep both my LifePO4 and water systems from freezing. I know you've put a lot of effort into freeze-proofing your water system, and likewise you'll need to add heaters to your batteries. That's added complexity and extra current draw, with major liability if those heaters should fail. How well will a battery blanket heater function in -30F air, which is what I see in Montana in the winter? On the other hand, I totally get trading-off precious storage space in the van, especially when it's only relevant for a few months out of the year. Decisions, decisions... :idunno:

Anyway, thanks again for being so generous with your time. :thumbup:

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
Dang, that's pretty compelling information. I was assuming I would use both wheel well arch cabinets for storing the water and electrical systems arranged with weight distribution in mind. Then my D2 heater can keep both my LifePO4 and water systems from freezing. I know you've put a lot of effort into freeze-proofing your water system, and likewise you'll need to add heaters to your batteries. That's added complexity and extra current draw, with major liability if those heaters should fail. How well will a battery blanket heater function in -30F air, which is what I see in Montana in the winter? On the other hand, I totally get trading-off precious storage space in the van, especially when it's only relevant for a few months out of the year. Decisions, decisions... :idunno:

Anyway, thanks again for being so generous with your time. :thumbup:

I estimate that over 95% of my van use will occur in daytime temperatures above freezing. The remaining 5% will likely be above 0 F. I do not expect to experience anything close to -30 F. My Lithium batteries reportedly have some output capacity down to -4F. So I figured I will try using my under chassis battery mounts. I do plan to use wrap around heaters and added insulation. I will use a thermostatic control that will turn the heaters on at 35F and turn them off at 45F. If this configuration proves too cumbersome then I can easily move the batteries to my cargo hold.

Last edited:

VanGoSki

Gotcha. Nice fab work. Hein also makes some under-body battery mounts that are sheetmetal with enough room for insulation and heating blankets.

And I'm not kidding about those temperatures. This is during the day. Night is much colder.
Lamar Valley, Yellowstone. I do photography in this weather.

Nimpoc

Enginerd in wander
No joke. For these same winter-chasing reasons I managed to stuff two of the Renogy 170AH LiFe's (340AH total) under the passenger seat. One vertical and one on its side. Triple-0 cable thru the trough to the drivers base where all the other electrical lives, save the inverter which hangs off the rear of the drivers seat base. Tidy, if a little irritating to service.

It's enough power I figure to keep the van alive for days while we're away touring in the winter.

Gotcha. Nice fab work. Hein also makes some under-body battery mounts that are sheetmetal with enough room for insulation and heating blankets.

And I'm not kidding about those temperatures. This is during the day. Night is much colder.
Lamar Valley, Yellowstone. I do photography in this weather.

Nimpoc

Enginerd in wander
I noticed you mounted the Isotherm a little differently than specified in the manual. They seem pretty firm about wanting the safety valve at the lowest point. Have you had any issues?

http://www.isotherm-parts.com/PDF/manuals/isotemp_2006_up.pdf

Nimpoc

Enginerd in wander
@RTCuy
You might want to check out the Rixen web page. They have a nice system, and lots of very good documentation including schematics.

This might be appropriate for you:
https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...4cd3dc/1552358420478/Plumbing-Single-Loop.pdf

The rest of their Sprinter system, as used on the Revel:
https://www.rixens.com/sprinter-and-class-b-c-rv-system-information

Greetings from Germany,

RTCuy

@RTCuy
You might want to check out the Rixen web page. They have a nice system, and lots of very good documentation including schematics.

This might be appropriate for you:
https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...4cd3dc/1552358420478/Plumbing-Single-Loop.pdf
@Nimpoc thank you very much! I have checked Rixen schematics before. I live in Germany, so I cannot buy the kit although I could try to copy it. But in any case, my idea was a "simplified" version by just adding the heat exchanger at the output of the Espar heater, and circulate my hot water into the van. By doing this I hope to avoid expansion tank and valves. I would just turn on the Espar, then the pump to circulate the water into my insulated storage inside the van for an ocasional warm shower.

I will have to throw some numbers to it and see what the flows and temperatures will have to be according to the exchange efficiency of the exchanger, and see if this makes sense.

The rest of their Sprinter system, as used on the Revel:
https://www.rixens.com/sprinter-and-class-b-c-rv-system-information
Thanks for this! great recources!

RTCuy

Other forum members have done exactly as you propose. A search should reveal more details. Personally I think such a system could cost just as much as an Isotemp heater. It definitely would require more labor to install and I believe it would be a more complicated system since you now need an additional pump and controls. As you mention it also could be less efficient. The biggest benefit of the Isotemp is the engine heat provides hot water all the time, no waiting and little or no planning required. For me the Espar is a backup to the electric element which is a backup to the engine heat.

You mention keeping modifications of the factory system to a minimum. Your proposal requires two connections, in and out, to the factory Espar plumbing, the same as an Isotemp.

With the OEM Espar system the engine water pump is always pushing some coolant thru the Espar/HVAC circuit. Turning your HVAC thermostat to heat activates a small 12 volt coolant pump that will increase the flow thru the Espar/HVAC loop. The Espar uses this same 12 volt pump when the engine is off.

Hope this helps.
Many thanks again! I will have to give this some thought as you have a point.

VanGoSki

No joke. For these same winter-chasing reasons I managed to stuff two of the Renogy 170AH LiFe's (340AH total) under the passenger seat. One vertical and one on its side. Triple-0 cable thru the trough to the drivers base where all the other electrical lives, save the inverter which hangs off the rear of the drivers seat base. Tidy, if a little irritating to service.

It's enough power I figure to keep the van alive for days while we're away touring in the winter.
That's impressive. Where's your D2 mounted?

RTCuy

I currently have an Isotemp Spa 4 gallon marine water heater plumbed to my engine coolant system. I use the engine heat to provide for most of my hot water needs occasionally topping it off using the built-in 750 watt Isotemp electric heating element. I also have the H12 option which includes the Espar D5 hydronic heater. This diesel fueled heater is useful for providing hot water when camped or stationary for multiple days without significant sun to charge my batteries. The drawback to using the Espar D5 is that the heater has to heat the entire engine block which limits the heat transfer to the water heater.

Total cost about $25.

I will try and post this on my build thread also.

Hello again,

I am still evaluating my options but in the mean time I have to make some progress and install the floor and kitchen. So I was thinking on adding the piping connections through the floor and then decide if and how I use them. Doing it after the floor and kitchen are installed will be very impractical. Would you mind sharing how did you connect the pipes to the exterior? in your case its just a hot/cold water line in and out of the van correct? did you install a fitting and then passed your pipes through them or did you thread/connect your pipes to the fitting?

Thanks again for sharing,

Rafa

Top Bottom