Replacement of front brake pads and rotor

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
I just took it to the Dodge dealership, been more than a couple of years now, but it seemed like a good deal compared to taking it to Mercedes. It was a major job and likely the last trip to the dealer, but I think it was around $400.

-Randy

zaskarkid

here's a dumb question, after installing new rotors and new pads - all thicker, how does the brake system maintain the necessary gap/spacing so that the breaks are rubbing all the time? and does the rear emergency hand brake need any adjustment after replacing rear rotors/pads?

here's a dumb question, after installing new rotors and new pads - all thicker, how does the brake system maintain the necessary gap/spacing so that the breaks are rubbing all the time? and does the rear emergency hand brake need any adjustment after replacing rear rotors/pads?
Disc brakes are self adjusting. The caliper assembly floats and moves as the pads wear down. The hydraulic pressure pushes the pistons/pads against the rotors. When the pressure is released the pistons/pads move back slightly. They don't need to move much. I believe that the pads retreat from a combination of being bumped by the rotor and possibly some action by the seals.

The parking brake shoes are conventional. The adjuster was probably backed off to remove the rotor/drum assembly. So yes, the parking brakes do need to be properly adjusted after new a brake job which included rotor removal or replacement.

:cheers: vic

Carminooch615

Would someone kindly post the chart showing the difference between the three different types of brake assemblies the sprinter utilized?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Opinions on changing brake fluid, please? Every time I look at recommendations it says every 2 years. Well, my vehicles don't move for two years at a stretch, at least not much. Finally using the Non-op feature from the DMV.

Does that mean the fluid is rusting my lines? I have a couple of electric motorcycles from 2007 that have never been in for service because they just don't need it. Should I have been taking them in for brake fluid swaps? Before the brake job I listed above I never thought about the Sprinter, just got regular oil changes.

-Randy

Opinions on changing brake fluid, please? Every time I look at recommendations it says every 2 years. Well, my vehicles don't move for two years at a stretch, at least not much. Finally using the Non-op feature from the DMV.

Does that mean the fluid is rusting my lines? I have a couple of electric motorcycles from 2007 that have never been in for service because they just don't need it. Should I have been taking them in for brake fluid swaps? Before the brake job I listed above I never thought about the Sprinter, just got regular oil changes.

-Randy
The problem with not renewing is more related to corrosion within the CAB aka ABS module than it is rusting. There are some close tolerance parts inside there. If your brake lines are rusting internally you have big problems.

A typical motorcycle has a less complex braking system. It also may use DOT 3 fluid. DOT 3 fluid is more forgiving than is DOT 4. DOT 4 has better wet boiling ratings vs DOT3, but there is some trade off for serviceability.

Some may not agree, but you seem like a perfect candidate for monitoring your fluid condition.

PTE Tester Calibrated for for DOT 4 Brake fluids
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HVG4GQ

:cheers: vic

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Don't use lube on the pad brackets. The caliper slide pins need lube, but are generally fine as long as the rubber not is intact.

when replacing rotors and pads, is it necessary to bleed the brake system?
It might be needed.

You should open the bleeder screws before compressing the pads/cylinders back into the caliper. If you don't open the bleed screws you risk pushing dirty brake fluid back into the CAB aka ABS valve module. (Thanks Dennis!) Getting crud back in the CAB module can ruin your day.

When the bleeders are opened there is some risk of air intrusion so the fluid should be bled. If you choose not to open the bleeders, risk the CAB module, and just compress the brake pads back, then no bleeding is needed.

:2cents: vic

zaskarkid

just did the front breaks. now van shudders when turning left at just slow speed. feels like it's coming from left front wheel. removed it, and nothing seems out of place. help!

zaskarkid

it only shuddered when turning left. turning right was normal. I added about 1/3 quart of power steering fluid. still shuddered.
only after driving it through a bumpy parking lot, did shudder go away.

when wheels off, I didn't turn the engine, but rather just to acc iginition position to turn the steering full left to (for doing right breaks), and full right for doing left breaks.

Last edited:

zaskarkid

from torque chart, is the disc brake rotor locking bolt - 7? and what is the torque value for the guide bolts?

http://

Last edited:

Kiltym

Trying to sort everything out before I start replacing the front brakes.

In doing research, one item that should be lubed is the "caliper slider pins" (referenced in this thread, as well as elsewhere). It is not clear based on all this write-up where they are. Looking at other brake repair info online, it seems they are installed in the caliper bracket, and the "guide bolts" would screw into them.......? But I may be misunderstanding something.

Do the Bosch front brakes on the T1N have these slider pins? And if so, should they be removed, cleaned, lubed, and re-inserted.....?

Are the "guide bolts" the slider pins in this application, and in turn, they should be lubed when re-installing?

If anyone has a photo, that would be a huge help.

Thanks! (and sorry if this is a stupid question)

Last edited:

marklg

Trying to sort everything out before I start replacing the front brakes.

In doing research, one item that should be lubed is the "caliper slider pins" (referenced in this thread, as well as elsewhere). It is not clear based on all this write-up where they are. Looking at other brake repair info online, it seems they are installed in the caliper bracket, and the "guide bolts" would screw into them.......? But I may be misunderstanding something.

Do the Bosch front brakes on the T1N have these slider pins? And if so, should they be removed, cleaned, lubed, and re-inserted.....?

Are the "guide bolts" the slider pins in this application, and in turn, they should be lubed when re-installing?

If anyone has a photo, that would be a huge help.

Thanks! (and sorry if this is a stupid question)
Yes, the guide bolts (#3) are the guide pins. I did lubricate them, but also put loctite on threads. Since you have to push them through the guides, you have to put loctite on what they thread into and lubricate them, making sure none of the lube gets on the threads. Takes a little care to keep the two from contaminating each other.

Regards,

Mark

Top Bottom