Coolant Top Up

PeterInSa

On the US Sprinter Site a member mentioned he topped up with Green Collant rather than MB Coolant. Unknowingly I did the opposite. The previous owner of our MB MH apparently did not believe the MB claim that their coolant lasts 15 years with regular check ups and must have changed the coolant within the first 5 years of ownership.

After a coolant test, all OK but since I was going to the Snowy and the coolant looked a bit down bought the true Blue MB stuff and put in 1/2 a cupfull. Don't think it will cause any problems just annoyed that the original owner did not 1, Leave the original coolant in the vehicle or 2 replace with the True Blue MB stuff.

Then again may have been carried out by a workshop and he paid for the true blue but received the sea water green.

Peter

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Coolant and distilled water is cheap. I would've done the full drain and fill if you're unsure of the previous owner's maintenance.

This is the first I've heard a manufacturer claim coolant to last 15 years. :thinking:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
On the US Sprinter Site a member mentioned he topped up with Green Collant rather than MB Coolant. Unknowingly I did the opposite. The previous owner of our MB MH apparently did not believe the MB claim that their coolant lasts 15 years with regular check ups and must have changed the coolant within the first 5 years of ownership.

After a coolant test, all OK but since I was going to the Snowy and the coolant looked a bit down bought the true Blue MB stuff and put in 1/2 a cupfull. Don't think it will cause any problems just annoyed that the original owner did not 1, Leave the original coolant in the vehicle or 2 replace with the True Blue MB stuff.

Then again may have been carried out by a workshop and he paid for the true blue but received the sea water green.

Peter
Peter MB specs sheet 325.0
Yes the claim is 15years but based on mileage
Green it is! but color varies? MB Franchise outlets use mostly castrol AF/NF for the Cdi sedans and stick it in the Sprinter too.
I found it loses it color after three-to 4 years depending on operating conditions and as to topping up with mineral based H2o
The Sprinter is supposed to have a packet in the tank to equalize the Anti-freeze fluid as it needs it ? have never been able to verify it either.
Based on the age of your unit! I'd dump it, flush the entire system and refill with new.Save your self a hassle with possible internal corrosion.
Hope this helps.
Richard

Top Bottom