Central electronics control/display panel push button repair

onemanvan

It has gotten to the point where I have to press VERY HARD for the buttons to make contact.
After a few hours of researching possible solutions I finally chose this one.

1) Clean black contact pads with isopropyl alcohol to help promote good adhesion.

2) Cut up a small square of adhesive backed aluminum foil tape.

3) Position tape on top of black contact pad using a pair of tweezers.

3) Press HARD with thumb for 20 seconds to help promote good adhesion.

It now takes very little pressure to activate the buttons.
Only time will tell if the little aluminum squares stay adhered.

John...

Attachments

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Sounds like a great solution.

1. What's the trick to remove computer console--some release in the side slots?

2. How to remove the symbol pad to get access for tape--pry out or ???

Thanks.

onemanvan

I KNEW somebody was going to ask me those questions:)

Remove the DOME light - on either side of the control module there are tabs - press those in and the module pops out. Getting it back in - at least in my case - is a bit trickier... When you push the module back into it's hole the tabs don't automatically lock it into place. You have to insert a long thin screw driver or drill bit into the little holes on either side of the module face plate and gently pry the tabs outward until they snag the edges of the cutout in the headliner.

First remove the plug from the back of the module. To do that pull out on the black plastic retainer. It doesn't come all the way out - just most of the way. Then gently but firmly work the plug loose from the module.

Take the module inside your shop and put it on the work bench. Lay it face down and notice there are little tabs poking out from the inside rim of black face plate. Those tabs lock onto the body of the white plastic module. There are two tabs at each end and three along each side. Starting at one corner of the module. Take a flat blade screw driver and gently pry the frame of the face plate outward till the tab is clear of the rim on the white plastic module. Once the tab is clear of the rim press the face plate frame downward. Alternate between the two tabs on the corner. If you're not having any success with that corner try another one. Once you get one corner of the face plate unlocked from the frame the other tabs are easier. It's hard to describe exactly what hand motions and the correct sequence to use... Just be very careful, patient and persistent. Eventually you'll figure it out. Either that or you break it all to hell and cuss me out for ever suggesting this fix in the first place:)

Once the face plate has been separated from the module body you'll see the rubbery button assembly. It just lifts out of the face plate.

Last edited:

CaptnALinTiverton

xT1N Westfalia
I thought I read somewhere on the internet that using isopropyl alcohol is not good for carbon contacts. Where is the other forum or string on this forum about buying new carbon contacts on Amazon?

AL

luvwagn

It has gotten to the point where I have to press VERY HARD for the buttons to make contact.
Only time will tell if the little aluminum squares stay adhered.
So, John - how has time treated this fix? I need to do this for my control panel next weekend :)

Cheers,
Brian.

onemanvan

The aluminum squares have not fallen off. As time goes by some buttons are beginning to require a firmer press but it's still acceptable.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
General Chemicals sells sold a "contact pad renew" kit ... it's a carbon-bearing cyanoacrylic "paint".
(now "Chemtronics" as "CircuitWorks")

I've used it on many such keypad gadgets that are exposed to ridiculous weather situations.

Two examples:
https://www.mgchemicals.com/product.../circuit-repair/rubber-keypad-repair-kit-8339
Digikey carries it, too: https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=CW2605-ND
(the Digikey version is the one i've used many times ... and heavily-used keys treated 15 years ago are still working)

--dick

Last edited:

westyventures

In the Oregon Outback
Super thanks, Onemanvan! I tried first cleaning mine (new to me Westy) and that didn't work, so did the clean and foil trick plus super-fine emery paper over the PCB, and I am shocked how perfect the control works now! The fridge and furnace both work, amazing after how long it sat unused before I bought it.

Tagettel

Re: OneManVan’s fix— additional comments in bold italics. Note – the fix worked quite well and was pretty straightforward.

I KNEW somebody was going to ask me those questions:)

Remove the DOME light - on either side [the RIGHT side has the tab] of the control module there are tabs - press those in and the module pops out. Getting it back in - at least in my case - is a bit trickier... When you push the module back into it's hole the tabs don't automatically lock it into place. You have to insert a long thin screw driver or drill bit into the little holes on either side of the module face plate and gently pry the tabs outward until they snag the edges of the cutout in the headliner.

[if you firmly hold the face plate into its position and apply pressure to the spring loaded tabs through the holes with a small screwdriver, the tabs will have room to spring out and lock the face plate back where it belongs-see pic below]
6AA285F3-5E16-4E6C-8697-63CFDAD743FE.jpeg

First remove the plug from the back of the module. To do that pull out on the black plastic retainer. It doesn't come all the way out - just most of the way. Then gently but firmly work the plug loose from the module.

Take the module inside your shop and put it on the work bench. Lay it face down and notice there are little tabs poking out from the inside rim of black face plate. Those tabs lock onto the body of the white plastic module. There are two tabs at each end and three along each side. Starting at one corner of the module. Take a flat blade screw driver and gently pry the frame of the face plate outward till the tab is clear of the rim on the white plastic module. Once the tab is clear of the rim press the face plate frame downward. Alternate between the two tabs on the corner. If you're not having any success with that corner try another one. Once you get one corner of the face plate unlocked from the frame the other tabs are easier. It's hard to describe exactly what hand motions and the correct sequence to use... Just be very careful, patient and persistent. Eventually you'll figure it out. Either that or you break it all to hell and cuss me out for ever suggesting this fix in the first place:) [the above description is spot on…you’ll figure it out. Helpful to use two std screwdrivers to ‘work it’].

Once the face plate has been separated from the module body you'll see the rubbery button assembly. It just lifts out of the face plate.
[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom