Propane Detector hardwired?

coloradobjj

anyone know if propane detector is hard wired or battery operated? I cant seem to get it open and it keeps false alarming. any info appreciated!

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Hard wired to coach batteries (propane detector is near floor, below and the side of bathroom door).

Mine continues to operate even when 12V main power switch is turned off (under dishpan), but Mogul reports his main power switch turns it off.

My propane detector is held on by one screw and velcro (the other screwhole is in corner of bathroom wall and kitchen cabinet so no screw there).

Wires in back go into the bathroom wall and down.

Lots of things set the propane detector off, including dog flatulence, too much bleach in fresh water tank, aerosols, disinfectant wiles, etc.

Probably time to replace just by age.

rollerbearing

I am not sure when they started this, but current propane detectors are deliberately designed to shut down after five years. Forcing you to buy a "fresh" one. The thing that scares me about this is that many detectors are used to control a gas safety valve - potentially leaving someone unaware of this feature without propane, heat, power etc. brrrrrrrrrr.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Note: Check condition of coach batteries. I believe other posters here had leaking/split battery cases which caused propane detector to go off.

WestyTat

Our propane detector has developed a high pitch noise.
Happened after using Lysol aerosol for cleaning cabin AC.
LP detector shuts off when the 12V switch is off.
Tried to reset it - the noise still comes on.
Anyone has / had this problem?

Thanks.

CaptnALinTiverton

xT1N Westfalia
Sounds like it is expiring (dying) unless low voltage (low cabin batteries or poor connections). The detectors need replacing every five to ten years (of course the manufacturers say sooner than later). Again I got one just like the last one (OEM?) at Lowes.

AL

Mine is disconnected and all propane devices work fine. Its an american addition if you ask me. Mine is hardwired to the battery. Only works when the coach master switch is on.
cheers

WestyTat

The sound went away. Strange.
Yes, our LP detector is wired to the 12V house batteries. The batteries were replaced 2,5 years ago and with solar they are always charged.
Will look into replacing. Or at least have spare for next time it happens.
Thank you all!

Top Bottom