Propane tank replacement?

Wasaabi

Sprinter Westfalia #133
Ours is pretty rusty and now we smell propane outside the tank. About to confirm but already suspect the smell continues with valve off. Recently had regulator replaced due to leak on a trip, but that hasn’t solved the smell issue.

Has anyone replaced the tank? Where do you get the tank and what is the part number? How hard is this to replace without being a propane expert? Thanks.

I have nothing specific.

The tanks are pretty solid. It would take some serious rust for it to leak, but I haven't seen the tank. If you don't disconnect the tank completely from the system AND bleed off the pressure, the pressurized system components can emit smell for quite some time.

A spray bottle with soapy water often helps to find leaks.

If your tank is old it may be out of date and need re-certification. You can remove the tank and have it re-certified to allow you to re-install it. A leaking tank won't pass.

:2cents: vic

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Yes, test all areas for propane leaks. There is the soapy water test and the more sophisticated propane sensor detector which one Westy owner may have.

When I first got Westy, opened the propane valve and lots of propane escaped from the extra hookup spot for an external BBQ. Don't know why that port wasn't completely shut--maybe someone used for BBQ.

There should.be a long thread re the Manchester tank and part numbers. Ted (relocated NAFTA Westy to Germany) had to replace his to meet German standards. There may have been confusng info on that thread re which model #.

Sprinter-Wy apparently purchased from Amazon Model 6811 for $580. So far, only Westy owner who apparently replaced with same model but no further info re installation or fit.

4x4TNeuer in Colorado replaced his with a different type and relocated to the generator area for more clearance. Ted in Germany replaced with different model.

Last edited:
Hello,
I took my propane tank off, bled to propane and had it sandblasted.
I then primed, painted with truck bedliner paint and reinstalled. It cost about 100 bucks for everything.
Good as new.

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
I took my tank to a big propane supplier to have it sandblasted and painted, they just rattle can sprayed over the rust and even sprayed the gauge. A 12 y/o could have done better, I walked out without paying. It is now getting sandblasted $60 and I will paint it with POR 15.

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
Our tanks are not DOT tanks that need to be re-certified. A kid was giving me a hard time about proving the date of the tank when I got it filled. I reported the station to the propane vendor and they were sending someone out to re-educate the staff at the station.

Wasaabi

Sprinter Westfalia #133
Thanks everyone for the advice. I did the soap test and it turns out the new regulator that was installed on the road by an RV shop is leaking at the connection to the tank in two spots. That’s what I get for trusting a roadside RV shop! I will fix the leaks, and then take the tank off when back home to repaint. The external rust on my tank looks pretty deep, did others who have repainted their tanks also have deep rust?

Lehman

I found heavy rust on mine and removed it, had it sandblasted after the local lpg dealer evacuated the propane from the tank. I then cleaned, primed, and top coated it using all POR Products which results in a really durable finish that will last forever when done correctly.

MrTomacco

Mr. Tommaco
I found heavy rust on mine and removed it, had it sandblasted after the local lpg dealer evacuated the propane from the tank. I then cleaned, primed, and top coated it using all POR Products which results in a really durable finish that will last forever when done correctly.
The POR paint stuck on me over 5 days! Could not get it off. Was impressed how tenacious it was on me, should last a real long time on the propane tank! I could see where the "primer" converted rust in places the sandblaster could not get. If I get rust around the windshield I will use it there.

Top Bottom