Aftermarket Suspension Options - whats your experience?

Fitz2

My preference for your described usage is again the Wildpeaks. They have an extremely chip resistant compound and very well lugged sidewalls. They are almost a hybrid between an AT and an MT tire. I have run them over volcanic glass strewn trails, shale, pummice and granite and they have never let me down. They are tough, they wear well, and they are quiet....

Hope that helps.
ORH,

Thank you, indeed it does. I tore a sidewall on a KO2 last year, will look into that aspect of the Wildpeaks next. I just may have found my next set of tires. Plus I see that the Wildpeak is available in a 285/75/17, that size tire should not need a spacer when mounted with the Van Compass 2” lift.....

BTW, thank you for your excellent write up on the Van Compass suspension upgrade. I am in complete agreement, it transformed the van.

OffroadHamster

ORH,

Thank you, indeed it does. I tore a sidewall on a KO2 last year, will look into that aspect of the Wildpeaks next. I just may have found my next set of tires. Plus I see that the Wildpeak is available in a 285/75/17, that size tire should not need a spacer when mounted with the Van Compass 2” lift.....

BTW, thank you for your excellent write up on the Van Compass suspension upgrade. I am in complete agreement, it transformed the van.
I am running 285/70/17 without a lift and no spacer. It will also mount fine with the 2" lift (Mark at VC told me as much and I have seen a couple vans running this combination)

Fitz2

The 285/70/17 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W has a diameter of 33” and a width of 11.6”. The 285/75/17 has a diameter of 33.9” and a width of 11.1”. They both are within spec mounted on a Method Standard wheel, and neither should require a spacer. (You have confirmed this for the 285/70/17). If the goal is the largest diameter tire mounted within spec on the Method Standard wheel with the VC lift and without spacers, I’m thinking the 285/75/17 gets the nod.

Last edited:

OffroadHamster

The 285/70/17 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W has a diameter of 33” and a width of 11.6”. The 285/75/17 has a diameter of 33.9” and a width of 11.1”. They both are within spec mounted on a Method Standard wheel, and neither should require a spacer. (You have confirmed this for the 285/70/17). If the goal is the largest diameter tire mounted within spec on the Method Standard wheel with the VC lift and without spacers, I’m thinking the 285/75/17 gets the nod.
Just keep in mind that 34's are not a common size and if you find yourself in need of a single tire while traveling it can be difficult. I ran 34's on my truck and probably wouldnt venture down that road again. Granted my spare wheel was a different diameter than the other 4 which caused most of the difficulty.

Still enjoying the VC suspension. Another must do for me was to change out the factory radio and speakers and install an under-seat sub woofer this is so simple to do and has added to the pleasure of driving the van.

Buoy13

I have read this whole thread about peoples experiences between Agile and VC. Any body have any experience with using either one of them in rough terrain? Not talking about Rubicon or anything just more than curb cuts, interchanges.

Fitz2

I have read this whole thread about peoples experiences between Agile and VC. Any body have any experience with using either one of them in rough terrain? Not talking about Rubicon or anything just more than curb cuts, interchanges.
My van (equipped with the Van Compass suspension upgrades) has been up the Coyote Flats Road (outside of Bishop CA) and back, plenty of rough terrain there. Can't say enough good about the upgrades, great ride on the road getting there, great ride off road once you are there. BTW, on this trail I would highly recommend the VC skid plates also, they will get used!

err

I drove mine pretty much straight from Agile to Moab. Its seen a little action...

I don't beat on it but I do run it up and down rough roads on the regular. We ran a few lines in Moab that turned heads with the Jeep crowd and used the VC skids. I've seen others push their vans even harder. I don't have sliders so I had to take it easy not to damage the rockers. The transformation from stock is hard to articulate, it's 50% more van now (not really, but you get the idea). Even on the pavement, in the twisties, so much more composed.

Rapport

I drove mine pretty much straight from Agile to Moab. Its seen a little action...

I don't beat on it but I do run it up and down rough roads on the regular. We ran a few lines in Moab that turned heads with the Jeep crowd and used the VC skids. I've seen others push their vans even harder. I don't have sliders so I had to take it easy not to damage the rockers. The transformation from stock is hard to articulate, it's 50% more van now (not really, but you get the idea). Even on the pavement, in the twisties, so much more composed.
Are those the 255/85/16 coopers?
What suspension upgrades do you have?

err

Are those the 255/85/16 coopers?
What suspension upgrades do you have?
They are 255/85 16 Cooper ST MAXX.

I went with Agile's coilover setup, full replacement leaf springs custom made for the weight of the van and remote resi Fox rear shocks with adjustable LSC.

I had Agile do Van Compass skids and the Winch at the same time. Can't say enough good things about this setup. I've mentioned it before, but at 33,000 miles my stock shocks were toast and my rear springs had failed an the entire van was leaning pretty hard to the driver's side.

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
Is your spare mounted on a swing out? How's the handling in corners with that taller tire + lift that you get with the Agile setup? Did you align it after the install? Great shot, too!

Rapport

I went with Agile's coilover setup, full replacement leaf springs custom made for the weight of the van and remote resi Fox rear shocks with adjustable LSC.

I had Agile do Van Compass skids and the Winch at the same time. Can't say enough good things about this setup. I've mentioned it before, but at 33,000 miles my stock shocks were toast and my rear springs had failed an the entire van was leaning pretty hard to the driver's side.
Did you get any lift out of the agile components?

err

Is your spare mounted on a swing out? How's the handling in corners with that taller tire + lift that you get with the Agile setup? Did you align it after the install? Great shot, too!
Spare is in the factory location. It went right in after minor adjustments to surrounding metal with a BFH. The van is markedly more composed through the twisties now. The LSC adjustment range on the rear shocks allows for quick tuning as your load changes. Agile took care of the alignment as part of the install. John and Jesus were really great to work with.

Last edited:

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
Around 2.5”
Are you running those tires in the winter? After putting some miles on them, are you going to stay with that size? I like the look if the wide tires, but width is the enemy in winter conditions. I think 255 aspect is a good happy medium.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4

I thought Agile was still testing the coil over front strut arrangement? Are you one of his test mules? I have the rear spring packs from Agile along with the rear Fox shocks. Was waiting for Agile to finalize the coil over design. Agile also installed the Van Compass skid plates on my van. Also have you checked your front axle weight? Are you still within the max axle weight with all the additions up front?

OffroadHamster

I havent had any issue running 285's through all manner of winter nastiness. Ive got probably 1200 miles of abysmal blizzard and freeze thaw conditions on them and never felt they were lacking for being an AT tire (versus dedicated winter rubber)

I do have considerable weight sitting on them (4700lbs rear 3600lbs front) and I could see a lighter van wanting to float around a bit on something like a 315. I doubt you will see a marked difference in winter performance with a slightly wider tire than a 255. Plenty of people run 265 and 275 in varying weight vans without any winter traction complaints.

I thought Agile was still testing the coil over front strut arrangement? Are you one of his test mules? I have the rear spring packs from Agile along with the rear Fox shocks. Was waiting for Agile to finalize the coil over design. Agile also installed the Van Compass skid plates on my van. Also have you checked your front axle weight? Are you still within the max axle weight with all the additions up front?
They have had the coil over available for a while, just not the replacement strut. Their coilover goes over the factory strut.

err

Are you running those tires in the winter? After putting some miles on them, are you going to stay with that size? I like the look if the wide tires, but width is the enemy in winter conditions. I think 255 aspect is a good happy medium.
Yeah, running them through the winter. I’m a powder addict, so when the roads are at their worst, I’m on them. Forward and braking traction is excellent. Cornering limits in low traction situations are also noticeably improved since the tires & lift.

Like most, I debated tires endlessly. I had 265 Duratracs which were fantastic in the snow and on road but ultimately seemed a bit light duty for off-road on such a heavy rig. The Coopers are in a different class from a construction perspective. Knowing that I was going with the Agile lift and spacers, the 255’s seemed like a good choice to fill out the wheel wells and not stick out. I was also trying to go as tall as possible without going to 315’s. I wonder if there is a noticeable difference between 255’s and 285’s in the snow considering how heavy most built cans are. It’s likely purely academic but I don’t know anyone that has run both. Another reason I went with 255’s is 285’s can rub when pushed off-road.

Last edited:

err

The coilovers have been available since last summer.

I did weigh my van front and rear for the springs, it’s actually quite light. I don’t have the numbers in front of me but I’m not very close to GVW. My build is somewhat minimalist as it’s mainly a gear hauler as I transition between mtb, snow, moto, and surf.

Last edited:

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
Yeah, running them through the winter. I’m a powder addict, so when the roads are at their worst, I’m on them. Forward and braking traction is excellent. Cornering limits in low traction situations are also noticeably improved since the tires & lift.

Like most, I debated tires endlessly. I had 265 Duratracs which were fantastic in the snow and on road but ultimately seemed a bit light duty for off-road on such a heavy rig. The Coopers are in a different class from a construction perspective. Knowing that I was going with the Agile lift and spacers, the 255’s seemed like a good choice to fill out the wheel wells and not stick out. I was also trying to go as tall as possible without going to 315’s. I wonder if there is a noticeable difference between 255’s and 285’s in the snow considering how heavy most built cans are. It’s likely purely academic but I don’t know anyone that has run both. Another reason I went with 255’s is 285’s can rub when pushed off-road.
We had a Cayenne Turbo that weighted 5,600 lbs. There was a noticeable difference between 275 and 255 winter tires. Not so much with normal snow traction, but in hammering through big slush mounds on the interstate, and low-speed handling with mashed potato snow when it's warmer. Cold ice and snow - the differences weren't as apparent. This has been about the same experience with all the other AWD vehicles we've owned. My guess is a full weight sprinter probably doesn't see much of a difference between a 285 and a 255 given the much higher weight.

Does a 255/85/16 fit without rubbing (assuming spacers are added) on stock suspension?

Top Bottom