Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Dealer and Supplier List > Dealer Info, Reviews, and Experiences

Dealer Info, Reviews, and Experiences Got dealerships? List them here.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
Dr_Paul

Thumbs down Beware of this Sprinter Upfitter -IVS

Be very wary of this Company. I traveled from Richmond, Virginia to Ladson, SC to have an electric step installed on my 2018 Mercedes Sprinter van, since they are listed as an authorized Mercedes Upfitter. Moreover, before the trip to Ladson, the Company sales manager assured me that they could handle the installation work since they had accomplished many similar electric step installs in the past. As it turned out, they called me two hours before the scheduled pick up time to say they did not have the technical expertise to complete the installation work. While they physically installed the electric step, they did not know how to connect the step wiring to the electronics of the van. All they did was run wiring from the step to the main electronic center on the van (under the driver’s seat) and left everything disconnected. Worse yet, the salesman attempted to blame me saying that I wasn’t clear with them beforehand on the wiring that was required. Bottom line, he tried to deflect blame rather than admit his empty promises to me to management. If you want all the details go to the BBB site and type in Innovative Vehicle Solutions in Ladson, SC. You will see my complaint that I filed with the BBB and that I asked for a partial refund for the portion of work that wasn’t completed and was refused.
Dr_Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr_Paul For This Useful Post:
dodger413 (09-10-2019), Winterbagoal (05-15-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
MotoXPress

Default Re: Beware of this Sprinter Upfitter -IVS

Are these the AMP steps?

Not to defend the installer but there are multiple ways to wire in the steps depending if yet we’re bought directly from AMP or from Agile off-road.

Ask me how I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MotoXPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:01 PM   #3
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,847 Times in 5,724 Posts

If you want the step to operate from the Sprinter's starter battery, you will find a three-post terminal strip under the driver's seat.
It provides fused power:
(a) direct from the battery (always available)
(b) ignition-switched (only there with key on)
(c) (not applicable for the step) only when engine is running and alternator is charging.

(i would hope that) any reasonably-competent RV or (even) stereo installer should be able to set up the steps once you point them at this "authorized" place for extracting power.

It's behind the rear section of the seat-side fuse panel:

--dick
p.s. not to excuse IVS in any way, but the 2018 is wired a bit differently than the 2016 and earlier.
IVS could very well not have any techs up to speed on the differences.
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
Vanzer Pagen (09-10-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 04:21 PM   #4
MotoXPress

The complications come because the AMP step needs to extend when a specific door opens and it needs to retract when the door closes.

There are three trigger wires buried in the sprinter wiring harness and no factory switches on the doors to tap into.

Agile modifies the AMP wiring harness to make it easier. They tap into three OEM wires to do this. They’ve only done this after years of frustration working to get AMP to simplify their setup from what I hear.

AMP instructions ask you to install a switch in the drivers b pillar to activate the drivers door.

These are the two ways I’m familiar with on how to wire. The Agile printed instructions in the box were not at all accurate but a quick call to them provided a quick and accurate response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MotoXPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:53 PM   #5
Dr_Paul

Thanks for the replies. I should have made it clear that the electric step is the Mercedes factory step rather than an aftermarket product.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dr_Paul For This Useful Post:
MotoXPress (05-14-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 12:26 AM   #6
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,847 Times in 5,724 Posts

The MB electric step requires that you have option "ED5", the parametric special module.
(and that it be programmed for it)

Your datacard (available by entering your VIN to https://www.datamb.com/ ) would tell you if you have that.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
ptheland (09-10-2019), Vanzer Pagen (09-10-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 12:52 AM   #7
Dr_Paul

Yes, the van came with ED8 - the PSM prep and then the PSM (ED5) was added. Another installer is completing the step installation. Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr_Paul For This Useful Post:
autostaretx (05-15-2019), Winterbagoal (05-15-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 06:10 PM   #8
Dr_Paul

Default Re: Beware of this Sprinter Upfitter -IVS: MBUSA issued me a refund

Update on IVS refusing to provide me with a partial refund of $600: I wasn't about to let this matter drop. I simply believe that if a company gets paid for work they didn't do that a refund should be provided to the customer. I did a bit more research and found out the email to use if you have a complaint about a MB Sprinter dealer or MB Sprinter authorized upfitter (IVS is listed as a Sprinter authorized upfitter). The email address is vandistribution@mbusa.com. Long story short, I explained the circumstances in a few emails and telephone conversations and MBUSA refunded me the $600.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr_Paul For This Useful Post:
Boxster1971 (09-10-2019), dodger413 (09-10-2019), MERLEANDSARAH (09-11-2019), TooMuchHair (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 08:08 PM   #9
Larry M

Thanks for posting the outcome. And a thumbs up to MBUSA.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote