2013 Serenity Tows '94 Jeep Wrangler

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
Just finished a trip from the central coast of California, to three nights in Death Valley, one night in Las Vegas, and seven nights riverfront at the Colorado River below Lake Havasu on the California Arizona border: about 1,200 miles.

We flat-towed a '94 Jeep Wrangler with a soft top (~3,500 pounds) and this included a couple of very steep hills on Highway 190 into Death Valley that are pretty awful; owning a ScanGauge, I kept LOD below 95% which meant 30mph in many portions of climbs. There were many sections of the trip with high gusty winds. I installed tire pressure monitors on the Jeep while in tow (TST screw on) and a ReadyBrake brake assist system. While it is obvious there is a towed vehicle attached, the entire system worked well; I could easily do 65mph on flat freeways with LOD in the 60's. Our average mileage has been 15.7 since owning the Serenity and this trip had around 13.5 which means towing and watching LOD carefully lowers mpg by about 2.

The reason for towing the Jeep was to do some offroad trails in Death Valley where we met our daughter and husband who rented a Jeep there. We visited the Racetrack and Johnson Canyon. My wife and I then did some offroading along the California-Arizona border around the Colorado River.

Attachments

procoast

We flat tow a 2012 Rubicon behind our Serenity and I have to say I am quite impressed how well it handles it. Just purchased a Brake Buddy and we are leaving tomorrow for 8 days and anxious to see how it works.

Kozad

Procast

How did the trip go towing your Rubicon, can you give us an update on how your LTV handled the toad?

Thelma

I have a 2010 Serenity and a Fiat 500 as my toad. I am brand new to RV'ing, and quite unsure of myself. I plan on travelling to the Rockies (Jasper, Banff, etc) and also to the Grand Canyon in the next few months, and wondered how this smallish van will handle the steep, mountainous terrain towing a vehicle. I already notice that hills are a struggle, without towing anything behind. I have installed a Blue Ox braking system. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thelma (the name of the van) has a "newbie" at the wheel!

pfflyer

I have a 2010 Serenity and a Fiat 500 as my toad. I am brand new to RV'ing, and quite unsure of myself. I plan on travelling to the Rockies (Jasper, Banff, etc) and also to the Grand Canyon in the next few months, and wondered how this smallish van will handle the steep, mountainous terrain towing a vehicle. I already notice that hills are a struggle, without towing anything behind. I have installed a Blue Ox braking system. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thelma (the name of the van) has a "newbie" at the wheel!
Welcome to the forum. Get a Scangauge II or similar device and search for posts by user name here on the forum Sailquik on how to get the most out of your Sprinter.

Top Bottom