Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Regional Discussions > Canada

Old 11-09-2007, 05:07 PM   #11
BaywoodBill
pre-Yuppiedom

Default Re: Canadian vs US Sprinter prices - huge differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Sprinter View Post

****, Richard! Is that you? Except for the steering wheel being on the wrong side you look like I did in those days.... hair with that little flip, that mustache, those eyes....

Hit your edit button Sorry
Richard

2005 2500 cargo, long, tall

Last edited by Altered Sprinter; 11-09-2007 at 05:42 PM.
BaywoodBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #12
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Thanked 2,349 Times in 1,861 Posts

We were told that if we chose to buy in the US and import it, the warranty would be void.... is this true? We've imported two other vehicles from the US into Canada in the last two years. One of them is a Winnebago View RV...that has a Sprinter Chassis. We do take our View for service in the US (not really a problem). The warranty was honored. So, can someone please enlighten us on the warranty for the Sprinter??? Thanks so much in advance.[/quote]

Well hello Jazzmanrocks, welcome to the forum.
In effect you answered your own question, took the sprinter back to the country of origin from where it was purchased , and the warranty was honored.

As I have stated above in previous posts stands! and is fact, it is illegal under the Sherman's act for anti- competitive trading to price fix, but what can you do.
There are ways it can be done , one is dual citizen ship then you have cross boarder warranty being honored.
Have it registered in the US ,in a relatives name but you have to drive out of Canada to keep out of trouble with Canadian authority, just to keep the unit in compliance to the law, as a non Canadian resident status.
Of course I understand where your at, especially with price differences.
Repeating myself on precious posting's was not that long ago when the Southerners were a knocking on your door buying imports to bring them back Stateside , "because the Canadian dollar was so low in value",! Now the tide is turning and off Goes the Canadians to the cross broader buying trips to the Local Westfield shopping center to buy on a spending spree, because the Lonnie is now worth $1.8 cents to the Lower US dollar and it's still going up through the roof , thanks to your strong economy based on the mineral wealth sector.
Previously The Sprinter was in partnership with both DB Hence DCX.... The license was fixed it had to be sold via Chrysler's outlet, event though the Canadian Sprinters were fully imported from Germany the down side You pay Canadian tariffs on importation where the US does not , You pay a higher GST ration where the US does not have a higher impost on sales tax, There is also local provincial tax a double tax whammy That does not occur in the US , Canadian Sprinters have the top end emission standard US had it on only five sates so they had two engines but with different emission standard's , that changed towards the end so all is equal there now, You may have a had a higher quality Sprinter, many small variations are showing up on the older model 902 903 series Sprinters.
Now that 2007 has finally hit home base Chrysler no longer owns the Sprinter or shared in it , the rules start to change.
This is a headache that won't go away this time around.
Governments are ducking for cover on this one... Mercedes-Benz Sprinters should be sold via a Mercedes-Benz outlet and serviced by the Benz outlets, there is no logical reason for them to handled by an independent franchisee in the States, such as Chrysler.Dodge or Freightliner.
However the limited amount of Sprinters sold in Canada would cost local MB dealerships a fortune to take them on with only one single line up of very limited Sprinters it's more trouble than they want.(financially it's not viable)
To do it Canada would have to have the whole range of sprinters and options run Vito's as well to do this the cost of the range would jump another 30% in Retail pricing because export Sprinters are set up on a limited production line US orders x amount in bulk with a stand-alone warranty it's not an MB warranty! They pay for warranties on the US side from profits.
So a full MB warranty of three years two hundred thousand kilometers is a lot higher than any sprinter can get in the states the warranty is marginal and extended warranty's cost lots of dollars to take it into the 5 to seven year range.
Today in Canada you can buy imported goods less than you could three years ago , this is hurting the local economy in many sectors especially automotive which is a huge factor on the employment and tax revenue base for the Canadian sector money goes round.
You have tariffs in place to protect the local automotive sector this does not help with prices in compassion to local versus imported.
Nor does it help Canada for export of it's produce
there are many equations as to what is right and what is wrong, not a level playing field for locals that are not really sharing in the wealth generated by the mineral sector that really forces up everything in Canada from needle nuts to building infrastructures.
Stop for one moment in time and think what would happen if every one did the boarder walk to the US side and bought every thing at the other side. Great for the US economy!... What happens to the local economy it would have no sales , local business would fail, people would be placed out of work, no work no money goes around , in the simplest rules of economics the whole economy would collapse.
However Sprinter prices should fall The discrepancy's are too high between Canada and the US but this is the same world=wide everyone pays and pays for the US side , because we all used the US currency as the main trade of exchange. lately the rules have changed Europe Australia Japan UK have moved away from the US as it continued to spend and spend, Now the evidence is clear for all to see the results of decades of indecisions .
And it has not stopped There are days to come on the US side! where hurt will continue on the local folk , your economy will continue to grow as it is everywhere else, that in part cushions the negatives of higher inflationary presses for locally made goods.
I am ex-Canadian I was there when Canada was nothing but a basket case, But I come home and each time I see the changes, some are good many bad, I see old business gone with the wind I see Canadians forced out of homes because of Asian clustering "My Home IS Vancouver" not that many locals left, are there.
Work it out, either support the local economy or put some one else out of work.Its not as simple as Mr and Mrs average Thinks it might be big business and Governments are answerable, only time will change it.
Richard.
No Shalam - No Shalom
Now lets take back the - Sprinter-Forum.

Of course I'm being totally biased.
Driving my life Away in a 313 Cdi Mercedes-Sprinter

Altered Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:49 PM   #13
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Hum hit your quote button and ended up editing your thread,
Yep Bill that's me and my Mo Joe. long since parted.
But the lips and eyes of blue remain , I'm just older and grumpier, and I wann'a thump, some Government official.
I still bring my lady out after mid-night and we hit the mountain roads, 'to ride the black top untill the dawn,. then we drift on back into today , History after hours is where I'd rather be.
Richard
No Shalam - No Shalom

Old 11-09-2007, 10:30 PM   #14
Jazzmanrocks

Hi Richard
Thanks for the reply - but you've made it as clear as mud to me :-)....To clarify I was specifically told by the Canadian Dodge dealer that if we purchased a Sprinter in the US - that once we drove it across the Canadian border the warranty would be void. That it would NOT be honoured in either Canada or the US. As I mentioned we have purchased two vehicles from the US already - one has a Sprinter chassis (the View). The warranty was and has been honoured by the US dealer. We bought our View two years ago. So, when the Cdn Dodge dealer told me the warranty is Void in Canada and the US - I wanted to make sure he wasn't bs'ing me. So, can you please clarify this question for me?

I surely do appreciate the time you took to answer me.
Jazzmanrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:35 AM   #15
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

OK you managed to get through what I has said.
To refine the question warranty further.
Quote; You have heard of the term Grey imports?
It means certain parties turn a blind eye to the law in the proper context.
Hypothetically... If you buy in the US and have it tagged in the US register as a permanent resident with an address to match in the United states then you have full warrantying the States. If the van goes to Canada and requires service the warranty can and will be honored BY DCX as Canada is part of the N/American sector, there is paper work involved but you do have coverage inside of the total areas of N/America how else do you get to Alaska?on a road of course.
So if your van is tagged in the us you can have it serviced on a case by case basis, the dealer won't know this but will lie his head off because he knows a sale just went South, this is called collusion to collude. He could be held accountable for this if he had full knowledge of how it works.
Here comes the tricky bit Dealers in the US from DCX at the time this is a US division not MB on the German side.
Official memos have been sent to franchises not to sell Sprinters to the Canadian sector. or risk losing the franchise this is same in Canada do not sell to the US customers same deal with MB outlets. 'shifty 'Buggers'
step back to 2000-2202 when the reverse occurred
this caused many issues with sedans being taken back into the states many were stolen and re birthed or sold whilst encumbered to a third party many did not meet emission or safety standards right down to not having MPH on speddo front end bumper compliance Vin plates not in the right place or even fuel tanks not being compliant to tires , the list was enormous so the Canadian Government cracked down on it , but under political pressure from The US side.
Honda had factories in Canada and the USA so they allowed it for warranty to be honored both sides, they did withdraw but still to this day Will look at the position depending on circumstance on a case by case sale. Porche has full warranty transferee between boarders not a problem , so there you have different reasons by separate divisions, either allowing a full warranty transfer case by case limited but fair and a flat out refusal to honor the warranty. If the vehicle was sold in the states it's like a gentleman's agreement the dealer will service and cover warranty after all he sold a vehicle he was not supposed to!, "A bucks a buck," with some dealers so turning a blind eye is known on the boarder side of two countries, living on the one block of real estate.
My guess is your US tagged so the warranty remains valid even though it's not illegal but well the reasons are there for you to see.
If it's Canadian registered how the heck did you pull off that one I know the costs involved you end up saving only a few thousand and it's just not worth the time as there is no warranty any way.
BUT, But here is the second trick that RV is Canadian plated so it has to be registered on the Canadian side if your a full residential addressee in Canada as a Canadian citizen. irrespective of which side you bought it on as it has a separate Canadian compliance plate the manufacture who sells to the US agreements will work together to complete sale, the state is happy they get tax revenue and just rubber stamp it the dealer does some dodgy paperwork and your off laughing good deal but you have to travel to have it serviced not a good idea if its breaks down in the middle of the Canadian our back where there ain't friendly folk with foreign makes.
Cargo vans we come back to the same deal they will sell if their budgets are not on target and it's a gentleman's agreement you have limited warranty but you take the risk. as that van is US registered too.
Here is my advice weigh up the pros and cons of it, find dealer who will play the game you save thousands, there is a risk if the Canadian DOT get involved you can find yourself in trouble if it's found out you have breached Canadian law on imported vehicles. the risks are low, but if that Canadian dollar continues to climb in value, and the US either stays as is or drops further , Then and only then with the Canadian sector hit back, if their economy starts to suffer because of cross boarder transactions. You have customs bring in a certain amount is allowed under the free trade agreements but trust me it's one sided on that one.
All I can say is if you set it up and go ahead with it, go back to that sales rep and look him in the face and say thank you I have a better deal elsewhere sooner or latter those Vans will have to drop in price and the only way it will happen is with the Government taking notice of lost revenue
Canada has tariffs in place to protect local manufactures which are US owned. they were put there for one reason only! to get around local tariffs and for export, into other Commonwealth Territory's.
2007 The rules have changed, the laws are outdated, let the vehicle manufacturing industry sort out it's own mess. The negative is the huge damage, it can do to Canada's economy.many provinces rely on manufacturing.. lose 10 thousand workers and the ripple effect is five fold. No growth No economy=recession and mortgage defaults , the US in in it now.. Canada would follow if it does not enforce it's own borders this is a two way street with all traffic heading down on the southern outlets. Simply put the dealer is lying but he has his hands tied by his boss and his boss relies on the franchise, it can be with drawn or discounts for inventory bulk buying can be reduced,from head hunters at the top end of town I wear two hats , I personally favor the working class. but I'm not a fool! there has to be a balance. .
Richard
No Shalam - No Shalom

Old 11-10-2007, 02:09 AM   #16
Jazzmanrocks

If it's Canadian registered how the heck did you pull off that one I know the costs involved you end up saving only a few thousand and it's just not worth the time as there is no warranty any way.
BUT, But here is the second trick that RV is Canadian plated so it has to be registered on the Canadian side if your a full residential addressee in Canada as a Canadian citizen. irrespective of which side you bought it on as it has a separate Canadian compliance plate the manufacture who sells to the US agreements will work together to complete sale, the state is happy they get tax revenue and just rubber stamp it the dealer does some dodgy paperwork and your off laughing good deal but you have to travel to have it serviced not a good idea if its breaks down in the middle of the Canadian our back where there ain't friendly folk with foreign makes.

In fact, our vehicle was purchased at a dealer with full knowledge that we are Canadians, and had every intention of importing the vehicle into Canada - heck, they even helped us with the paperwork to import it (they said they do it all the time). Second, THERE ARE NO MODIFICATIONS that we had to pay for with our View/Sprinter - Everything was perfectly fine - we had to put the km sticker on it (which is a decal), and THAT was it. It cost us about $250 (Cd) for the Canadian Tire mandatory 'visual' inspection...that is a TOTAL rip- they didn't look at anything, basically walked around the vehicle and took our Visa with a smile. In fact, we saved $27,000.00 Cdn buying our View in the US over buying a Navion (they don't sell View's in Canada - but the Navion is identical and the do sell that in Canada).
I can honestly say that, I am a very patriotic Canadian - and I support our Cdn econonomy thru purchasing many things - But what I can't abide by - is being ripped off by the car mfrs-- The Canadian car dealers have had a free ride for a long time - In fact, I would have not minded paying a bit more to get the vehicle in Canada - but the Sprinters I've looked at at rought 60 to 70% more expensive in Canada ---- This is highway robbery....and I don't care what anyone says -- hard working families deserve to be treated fairly -I shouldn't have to support the folks working in the car industry in Canada at the expense of being robbed by their employers. (Can you tell I'm a little PO'd about this?)
So, I have a friend in the US that is more than willing to buy the vehicle for me and then sell it to me - so I can avoid the dealer altogether. I'm thinking I might just go this route....will keep you all posted as to how it all goes.... Thanks again Richard, you've got a lot of interesting info to offer on this topic!
Jazzmanrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:25 AM   #17
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Yor more than welcome I said I wear two hats and well I
said it.
It's the same down under but in fairness no one works for seven bucks an hour not even kids, neverless I have questioned Benz on this one as to what is happening in canada , , the price can't come down , but the toys are included for free in January 2008, not that they expect the sales to increase much further as local interest rates go up our econamy is just too ho,t thanks to mineral exports.
Let us know when you get your newbie and tell me how much you did save so a few more folk can toddle off to the other side of tinsle town, for the year round Christmas treats! maybe Steve will wake up.
Richard
No Shalam - No Shalom

Old 11-10-2007, 02:47 AM   #18
AlbertaBear

Jazzmanrocks!

I have been lurking here for a loong time, since I too plan to get a Sprinter shortly. Comparing Us prices to ours make me sick, I wish to order one that cost 51-52K US, but in Canada,,,,,,,,,, 70++K.

The kicker though is that on the "riv.ca" site when you check for permitted vehicles in to Canada,,, each Mercedes require a head office confirmation faxed as proof of compliance, and I wonder if this a way for them to Not let us import them.

As far as warranty I am not really too worried, with an upfront saving of 20K.

I am heading to the Philadelphia for a week soon, and I may just have a family member buy/order one, and buy it from them and drive it used across the border. May even registerit in Delaware for a week to keep everybody happy.

Bjorn
AlbertaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:22 AM   #19
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Mercedes-Benz v Dodge Freightliner two different set ups
Sprinters are not sold via Mercedes_Benz in Canada but through Dodge Freightliner outlets.
just to bring a Bent Benz into Canada costs Ca $500 at your local Benz franchise just to look at it then they charge like bulls to bring it up to compliance MB in US is different to MB Canada.
The last Sprinter to head into Alberto was this time last year he saved 7200 on a standard LWB 2005 Plated Sprinter . went through the same exercise found a dealer to deal paper work dodged up rubber stamped of he he went back through the by roads on a US tagged Sprinter he jumps borders every three months just to keep it legal.
Imagine all of the Canadians buying over the boarder man all hell would break lose on that one, Yeah Go for it, but watch out for the State Troppers cover your rear end on everything , just to keep the ball in your court.
Richard
No Shalam - No Shalom

Old 11-10-2007, 04:01 AM   #20
rvdriverca

Sprinter
Super Moderator

Posts: 2,250 Re: Canadian vs US Sprinter prices - huge differences

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mercedes-Benz v Dodge Freightliner two different set ups
Sprinters are not sold via Mercedes_Benz in Canada but through Dodge Freightliner outlets.
just to bring a Bent Benz into Canada costs Ca $500 at your local Benz franchise just to look at it then they charge like bulls to bring it up to compliance MB in US is different to MB Canada.
The last Sprinter to head into Alberto was this time last year he saved 7200 on a standard LWB 2005 Plated Sprinter . went through the same exercise found a dealer to deal paper work dodged up rubber stamped of he he went back through the by roads on a US tagged Sprinter he jumps borders every three months just to keep it legal.
Imagine all of the Canadians buying over the boarder man all hell would break lose on that one, Yeah Go for it, but watch out for the State Troppers cover your rear end on everything , just to keep the ball in your court.
Richard

Richard: by federal Canadian law, as a Canadian with a Canadian drivers license it is illegal to drive a US plated vehicle in Canada. Cheers cl
rvdriverca is offline   Reply With Quote