Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Regional Discussions > Canada

Old 06-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #1
VancouverSprinter

Default Canadian vs US Sprinter prices - huge differences

Comparing "build and price" functions at dodge.com and dodge.ca, we can see huge price differences for vans and options, mostly favouring US customers, but some options are cheaper in Canada. Why such differences, does anyone know?

The current exchange rate is 1 USD = 1.06 CAD, virtually one for one. But here are the prices in USA and Canada, in respective currencies (first price in USD in USA, second in CAD in Canada):

Light group: 130 - 220
Security group: 750 - 2,785
Curtain airbags: 600 - 1,330
220 Amp Alternator: 360 - 975

But:
Bi-Xenon lights: 1,350 - 300
Luxury seat: 160 - 105
Aux front heater - 1,235 - 700

However, almost all options are cheaper or MUCH (2-3 times) cheaper in USA.

For the encore, the most popular van is likely to be 2500 Cargo Van 170 inch WB, High Roof, Package A:

USA - 37,525 USD
Canada - 51, 235 CAD - Ouch..................................
VancouverSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:58 PM   #2
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Thanked 2,340 Times in 1,855 Posts
Default Re: Canadian vs US Sprinter prices - huge differences

Been through this before with Mercedes-Benz playing games with Canada and cross boarder transactions with the US
Fact one the Dodge is linked to the US dollar then converted to Euro then back to Canadian Dollars sort of Lonnie tune affair going on there.
US tax breaks for local labour content and lower tax both on sales and income tax with personnel kerep costs down you do not have a fair free trade agreement with the US, the US does not have VAT TAX WHERE THERE ARE TWO OF, ONE IS HIDDEN .WITH SEPARATE PROVINCIAL TAXES
CANADA DIRECT IMPORTS THE SPRINTERS FROM EUROPE. Blame it on Steve.
Think smart buy the local sprinter with extended warranty coverage , then buy the options direct from the states and save a bundle
Richard
No Shalam - No Shalom
Now lets take back the - Sprinter-Forum.

Of course I'm being totally biased.
Driving my life Away in a 313 Cdi Mercedes-Sprinter

Altered Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:40 PM   #3
mattl

The reason is because the MSRP's are based on a stronger US and weaker Canadian dollar. 10 years ago it was the reverse, all the cars were cheap in Canada. Today all the cars (almost every model) is cheaper in the US than Canada.

For example, just got a '07 Sprinter 3500 chassis-cab for $32k, new off the lot in Vermont.

But there are hidden fees. First you get duty on the vehicle as it is German (Canada/US/Mex made cars are duty free). Then $200 "Registrar of Imported Vehicles" fee. And out-of-province inspection fee from your province.

That's about it. Of course you have GST, PST, the stupid $100 aircon tax, etc but you'd have to pay that anyway. (you'd also pay duty but this is hidden in the price).

The "local work" is only on the cargo van models. There is a 25 % duty in the US for such vehicles! The Sprinter with seats only gets a 2.5% duty like a passenger car (from Germany) so they don't bother to take it apart and put it back.

Now WHY are the xenon lights over $1000 cheaper in Canada?!

Last edited by mattl; 08-28-2007 at 11:45 PM.
mattl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:19 AM   #4
sleepywheel

The huge difference in just the base price is what's keeping me from going out and buying a Sprinter. I've tried negotiating with Carter Dodge but they won't budge from the MSRP and Maple Ridge Dodge doesn't seem to be too interested either. When I asked the guy at Carter why the big difference in price, all I got was silence. He didn't say a word until I started talking again, talk about a pregnant pause. I hate the idea of being voluntarily screwed by paying the inflated Canadian price so I guess my other option would be going to a GM van cutaway and put a box on it.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

When are you going to wake up!

Price fixing! anti competitive behavior, between cross boarder trading. Dealers have their hands tied on this issue, as they are under threat of supply, or being dis - enfranchised. On a previous forum MB Canada.com there was a twenty page full documentation, on cross boarder transactions with manufactures colluding to collude with dealers to fix the price of vehicles~ in Canada, by up to ten thousand dollars. If your so concerned act and complain to the dealers out right, not to the sales rep! He has to walk a tight-rope, as he has one hand tied behind his back, and the other!! down his pants so send your concerns to the regional managers, write to your local news papers, and ask
"WHY IS CANADA BEING RIPPED OFF"

Write! or email the local representative, opposition is a vote counter they love it.

Ford is dead so is GM and you know it, so stop the complaints and "ACT". Quote under the Sherman's anti-trust trade act. It is illegal to collude... to fix pricing... and or manipulate the end price, by monopolizations of a singular unit. Warranties can be transferred between countries, and or boarders, on a written case by case decision, if you know how to execute to commit to it.
Damlier Chrysler has been fined twice since 1999 millions of Euros, over price fixing and collusion between cross boarder transactions direct form Europe and, from anti competitive behavior from the US side back into Canada.

"History repeating on itself"
1999to 2002 the US was going nuts buying from Canada as to it being cheaper with the value of the US dollar as compared to the Lonnie Tune dollar doing it flip of a poorer value, over two hundred thousand vehicles were exported back into the states many were stolen or re-birthed from changing VIN plates many folk had them repossessed by finance companies and bailiffs.
It's been the opposite since January last year as to Canadians wanting to do the same buy in the States as to the higher value of the Canadian dollar, government are loath to help you out as it effects the local auto industry and the Canadian economy.
But in retrospect you are being charged up to ten grand for a Sprinter to be specific more than a local Sprinter, in fact you pay the same price as elsewhere in the world.

This type of thread. has come up many times over the last three years, especially in Canada.

There is one valid point of pricing as to competition?

Sleeps look at the United States, it has a population of 330 mil and approx 10 mil illegals.
Canada has a population of 33 mil and a few local folk along with a fair percentage of would be Americans wanting to claim Canadian citizenship.
The U.S is very competitive and works to-wards volume sales at discounted pricing lower margins mean more sales, in theory.
Canada has as England does, swings on a yesterdays margin of top end retail pricing structures,
Normally there is a better warranty, in the case of the Sprinter! OK It's not a level playing field.
Richard

on3.jpg

09.jpg
No Shalam - No Shalom

Old 09-05-2007, 04:48 AM   #6
sleepywheel

I'm not sure if you're post was referring to my post but I'll answer anyway. I'm sure there is some price fixing going on and I've been complaining about it to two dealerships which in return are no longer returning calls to me. They don't want to hear my complaints at all. There have been many letters to the editors in the local papers about pricing and it goes nowhere. Read Tony Whitneys (automotive tester, writer, etc.) latest blurb about why the difference in pricing and you wonder why he says what he says until you read at the bottom that he's representing the local car dealerships.

Tony Whitney, Special To North Shore News
Published: Friday, August 10, 2007

In many regions of the world, especially Asia, the Middle East and Russia, vehicle prices are even more dramatically higher than they are here. Sometimes there are valid reasons for this -- small markets, costly transportation, currency challenges and so on. But the fact remains that as car buyers, Canada gets off very well, mostly thanks to a very competitive marketplace and discerning buyers who just refuse to be overcharged.

Right now I get a lot of queries from readers about vehicle prices in the United States, and why in some cases they are lower than in Canada. Although our cultures are similar and all kinds of products flow back and forth across our borders, we mustn't forget that America is a "foreign country," with its own economic structure and market forces. With the car-buying population being what it is in the United States (i.e. vast), there are bound to be lower costs associated with vehicle distribution. Also, there are large chains of car dealerships in the United States run by corporations with bulk-buying privileges, while in Canada, we still enjoy large numbers of smaller, family-run businesses. Not long ago, prices of some vehicles were lower in Canada than in the United States due to our then-weak dollar, and many Canadian individuals wasted no time in doing a little horse-trading and shipping vehicles south of the border to make a quick profit.

The fact remains that we are lucky here to enjoy a highly competitive marketplace as far as vehicles go and can continue to amaze friends and relatives in Europe and other countries when we tell them how little we have to pay for our cars, SUVs, minivans and trucks.

Tony Whitney is a noted British Columbia automotive authority and author. He writes this article on behalf of the New Car Dealers Association of British Columbia.

Soon after this article appeared, a reader wrote in with examples of differences in prices between European countries and ours to show that we are paying more and that Whitney's article was misleading. Of course nothing more was said.

All in all, I don't have the time or the energy to go chasing down politicians and researching to make a case. If big fleet buyers like BC Hydro don't mind paying the fleet price without complaining, DC sure isn't going to listen to me.

Richard, what do you mean Ford and GM are dead? They seem to be doing pretty well around here.

The one saving grace out of all this is that my brother-in-law is a Sprinter mechanic at a dealership and he's going to see what he can do for pricing. If he can't do anything, I found that I do qualify for fleet pricing, which, hopefully will be better than MRSP.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:23 AM   #7
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanked 3,605 Times in 1,933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepywheel View Post

Richard, what do you mean Ford and GM are dead? They seem to be doing pretty well around here.
I think GM and Ford will surprise everyone and survive. In other barely related news, the millionth Duramax left the factory recently.

Sled pullers and dyno-daemons love tuning and tricking those things until they tear transmissions and axles to bits.

The market for GM diesel seems pretty healthy. For the Sprinter to be anything other than a very cool eccentricity, 132,000 units per year (re)assembly plant throughput isn't going to damage the market share of Econoline and the GM lines.

The only business that has a bigger presence than GM commercial is Starbucks (it seems! hyperbole the bestest ever!!).

If my GM cargo had fallen apart on me I sure wouldn't have waited as long as I am waiting for a Sprinter. I'm unusual and I know it; as does GM since they're betting only screwballs like me will wait around for a special order. In a way, the reason I'm getting a Sprinter is because my current rig will not die. It's given me the luxury to wait for what I really want.

Dead? No. Inferior for my needs, yes. Do I want GM cargo van? No. Can I have one? Sure. Can I have one in a year or two or seven? Absolutely. GM loves that outdated, head-crushing, back-twisting, knee-wearing design. GM ain't dying any time soon. They're just make inferior products. That's no death sentence. Terrible marketing and a lack of "impulse purchase" stock is a lot worse than substandard engineering.

-Jon
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:33 AM   #8
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Sleepywheel yes the post was in reference towards your posting. First point you must remember Canada was and to a large degree still is part of the Commonwealth structure by old out-dated laws not changed. this is based on anti competitive behavior from US based companies it still applies to day Canada is not part of the US goggle a night map from space all lights show Canada looking in on the US Population dictates it can not compete on a level playing ground. look at Older GM products from the sixties as an example Pontiac 1966 had wide track wheels The same in Canada used 1955 Chevrolet chassis and suspension with 253 and 327 engines I am ex Canadian and know too well how disadvantaged Canada is as opposed to the United States with anti-competitive behavior towards Canada it has never changed and may not untill you get a government that is prepared to act, look at Alberta and what this is costing Canada today in lost revenue US controlled they pay less than one percent royalty to wards cleaning up the environmental mess that will impact on environmental issues with Alberta. with using your natural gas and water to produce Gasoline for the US, 30 percent is sent directly to the states from Shell Canada. You do have an old system with a higher tax impost it varies between provinces , where Canada was the largest auto manufacture in the world for export to commonwealth countries and it's territories it has today almost collapsed as to the same issues of the US not upgrading since the early seventies , you now are paying the price of poor governmental decisions from the past.
Warranties are usually higher in Canada as opposed to the States, the catch is how the sprinter was licensed for N/American export... see your part of the United States! But by border designation, your a foreign country, as far as the States is concerned, and a dam nuisance to them as Canada has the wealth, it wants for free.. timber. Minerals and water, produce etc. the list is endless. and cheap labour in different provinces you have those who have, and those who have not. Technically the Sprinter should be sold via Mercedes_Benz as an imported vehicle direct from Germany but your caught up in the politics of how it's been programed via the previous DCX group who were supposed to know best.and what a joke that turned out to be. Legally you can import a Mercedes Sprinter, with full warranty of country exchange to the same standards as you have in Canada, but try and bring it in and see how far you get, If you have the political connections it's not a problem you can do it, but as an individual forget it.PS mods have to be done for Canadian compliance.
I understand your frustration but that's the way the Cookie crumbles etc, Don't blame the dealers, they really have their hands tied on this one, and again it's top end management that knows the rules, the sales folk in most cases have not a clue, brainwashed and poorly educated by management's.
Your best shot is buy in the US register it there .and bring it in and have it serviced back in the states, border hopping is common if you can bother, some dealers in the states will sell direct but it's not supposed to be that way. Sorry your stuck between the Canadian Rockies and a hard hard road on that one, it sucks OK! but that is why I left the country a long time ago it had no prospects, and nothing has changed in thirty years except IT'S gone backwards in many provinces.
Don't take me the wrong way, I love Canada, but for what the promise once held! which is why, my Home is down under.
We pay as much as you do for Sprinters, work it out if you can , population and competition , your imports of Sprinters in to Canada is a ten minute smoko break on a late Friday arvo' as far as Benz is concerned , they dumped America, and went to China as much as I love my Mercedes... that really is hitting below the belt.
Richard.
The photo is getting old, but this is a genuine Pontiac Canadian Parrissiane it runs a 398 Cubic inch block triple cabs and goes like hell had it sent over in CKD form in 1968 highly modified too.
Sales in Canada are less than Australia and we have the lot including Vito's engines tans missions etc, but not cheap by a mile, then again we earn more too per annum Dollar wise$$$$$ Sales for Sprinters in the US are still dropping by the month so work it out somethings up and that means Mercedes is controlling the export volume to keep up the higher prices Cerberus is just the under dog, you'd be surprised just how much influence Daimler AG has in the US sector these days, they may have dumped Chrysler but not the profitable sections of their business interests. In a nut shell you pay the true price for a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter in Canada, my sugestion is to not buy a local make such as Ford or GM they have no future left especially with Ford, they still have no new plateforms for 2010 those older units have to be off the road by then, that is they can no longer sell them in the current make up as to not metting both enviromental emission standards or safety aspects.
Sprinters hold thier VALUE.
RICHARD
PONTIAC2 (Large).jpg
No Shalam - No Shalom

Old 11-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #9
Jazzmanrocks

Hello - we've just found your group and are very glad! We live in BC and were looking at Sprinters -- of course being so close to the US border we checked out prices there...and were stunned to see the difference in the MSRP. So, back we went to the dealers in BC and got the same indifference as some of the other members on this list. We were told that if we chose to buy in the US and import it, the warranty would be void.... is this true? We've imported two other vehicles from the US into Canada in the last two years. One of them is a Winnebago View RV...that has a Sprinter Chassis. We do take our View for service in the US (not really a problem). The warranty was honoured. So, can someone please enlighten us on the warranty for the Sprinter??? Thanks so much in advance.
Jazzmanrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:01 PM   #10
BaywoodBill
pre-Yuppiedom

Hi Jazzmanrocks,
Welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't answer your questions except that I just read on another forum of a person who buys late model trucks in the US and drives them to Edmonton to sell. He reportedly makes $8,000 to $10,000 per transaction. I guess he doesn't worry about the warranties nor does the buyer.

Hope to see you enjoying the fun here in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmanrocks View Post
Hello - we've just found your group and are very glad! We live in BC and were looking at Sprinters -- of course being so close to the US border we checked out prices there...and were stunned to see the difference in the MSRP. So, back we went to the dealers in BC and got the same indifference as some of the other members on this list. We were told that if we chose to buy in the US and import it, the warranty would be void.... is this true? We've imported two other vehicles from the US into Canada in the last two years. One of them is a Winnebago View RV...that has a Sprinter Chassis. We do take our View for service in the US (not really a problem). The warranty was honoured. So, can someone please enlighten us on the warranty for the Sprinter??? Thanks so much in advance.

2005 2500 cargo, long, tall
BaywoodBill is offline   Reply With Quote