Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:06 AM   #1
IPT

Default Interior deconstruction questions (passenger van)

As I embark, a few questions.

In the very rear of the van, the lower trim panel comes out (with the speakers). The one above (between the bottom and roof headliner) seems to be just taped to the wall. Is this worth removing this or just leave it? Looks like it is nestled with the windows rubber molding pretty good. I think I can still insulate the cavities with it in, but maybe I am not aware of something.

Headliner removal is recommended to be done from the front to rear, yes? I figure I can get it all out. Then in the front sound deaden, and thinsulate in a reasonable amount of time, no?
My plan would be to do that and put the front part of the headliner back in (so my console and other electrical is not hanging or removed).

Then I can leave everything from the front seats back open as I insulate, decide on wiring, change the windows, add ceiling fan (just peaked at the rook. I see a “factory” location for the fan forward on the roof, but not in the rear where I see so many fans mounted, odd). Still need to explore that.

I think adding some of the blue tube running from the B pillar to the rear of van will be a good idea for any future unforeseen wire runs that may be unforeseen as of now.

This will be a modest build with an Espar for heat, bed platform, some lower wall cabinets, lots of L track, and a few lights. Then we will use the thing for a year or two to see what we like or dislike and then finalize and make it nice.

Open to ideas or other suggestions or thoughts .
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:45 PM   #2
Bobnoxious

Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,591 Posts
Default Re: Interior deconstruction questions (passenger van)

Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobnoxious For This Useful Post:
IPT (05-19-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #3
IPT

Thanks, Yeah I have that one book marked. it doesn't talk about the side trim pieces, windows areas not anything about running some conduit (or not) for future wiring. I think I have read so many threads at this point I am scatter brained and can't assimilate it all :).

Last edited by IPT; 05-19-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:34 PM   #4
pfflyer

Thanked 1,598 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
Thanks, Yeah I have that one book marked. it doesn't talk about the side trim pieces, windows areas not anything about running some conduit (or not) for future wiring. I think I have read so many threads at this point I am scatter brained and put assimilate it all :).
I don't recall you asking about running some conduit or not in post one. The task can seem overwhelming but dive into it and after it is done be prepared to strip parts out again after you forget something or decide you want to change something. It is easier the second and third time you have to remove something. Buy some headliner trim fasteners because there will be some that wont hold very good after removal. Be cautious around the B pillar and the seatbelt tensioner. Parts can go flying out and it can be tricky to get back together.
You also might want to ask more specific questions. Also year and model may help.

Good luck.
2016 Jayco Melbourne 24K Class C on 2015 Sprinter chassis

Last edited by pfflyer; 05-19-2019 at 09:43 PM.
pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:09 PM   #5
IPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflyer View Post
I don't recall you asking about running some conduit or not in post one. The task can seem overwhelming but dive into it and after it is done be prepared to strip parts out again after you forget something or decide you want to change something. It is easier the second and third time you have to remove something. Buy some headliner trim fasteners because there will be some that wont hold very good after removal. Be cautious around the B pillar and the seatbelt tensioner. Parts can go flying out and it can be tricky to get back together.
You also might want to ask more specific questions. Also year and model may help.

Good luck.
Thank you. I will watch some more videos about the B pillar. I do recall something about the parts flying as you pointed out.

Ah, 2018 144 passenger van. Yes, I realize this will not be a one shot deal. I figure the blue tube (as I called it) ie. conduit, would come in handy down the road. I have to imagine pulling wires once the insulation is done would not be fun, so having some sort of conduit will make it easier.

I think if I can in this order:

-get the insulation and sound deadening in and -
-run some conduit (before gluing in insulation)
-swap the windows to venting ones
-install new floors with L track
-run some conduit
-install a ceiling fan
-have an Espar and likely RB componets dual batteries (or similar amp hours) installed
- and build some sort of bed platform (2x4s or plywood for version one)

I'll be good to go.

I already did the front seat swivels, insulated and wired rear doors, slider door , and front doors with speaker swap too. I have floor minicell and insulation in the garage as well as the slider and passenger side windows. Fan is on order.

At the end of the day that really is all I have in mind. Maybe a roof storage rack or cabinet. The project is under way. The next step is where it really get rolling though. Once it's all open I think I can really get down to business.

Last edited by IPT; 05-20-2019 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:39 AM   #6
dynaco1

I would just leave the thin gray plastic veneer around the windows. I think it looks nice.

Yes, it is attached with double-sided tape. Yes, you can install insulation without removing.
dynaco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dynaco1 For This Useful Post:
IPT (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 03:48 AM   #7
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,559 Posts

I converted 2013 passenger 144"WB to RV for 2. Our objectives were windows 360 and factory trimmed. About 30% conversion time is spent on trimming. This is my thread and pictures:
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21773
https://goo.gl/photos/AZnG63iwMr9u6zLw8

https://goo.gl/photos/2NCR3teXLSwNYSwN8
GeorgeRa is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgeRa For This Useful Post:
IPT (05-21-2019)